Renting a motorbike, insurance question

solrac

Hey everyone,

I'm in Pattaya / Jomtien area. I'm renting a motorbike, found a good deal at 2000 baht per month.

However they say there is only bodily insurance (if I get hurt) up to 15,000 baht. There is no insurance for the bike. If the bike gets totaled, I have to buy it. (Around 40,000 baht.)

Is there maybe an insurance company that I can just pay 500 baht or something to get the bike insured? So if the remote chance that some drunk driver hits me, or some truck backs into it while it's parked, or something horrible happens like that — I don't have to worry about anything?

Thanks so much for the advice!

The bodily insurance is paid by the Government, built in with the bike. The bike itself is either covered or not. If a Thai rental, a possibility it maybe covered but that is no matter to you. If you indeed totaled the bike, they would take your money 1st then let insurance fix the bike. That's Thailand. If you complain then your passport would be sent to the immigration police.

Best to not get in an accident & always do remember to carry your driving papers (car, motorcycle) on you; & NEVER drive drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Interesting… they'd send your passport to the immigration police and then what?

I want to find out of the bike is covered by damage / theft insurance — and if it IS — why should I pay anything?

How do people handle this?

I want to find out of the bike is covered by damage / theft insurance — and if it IS — why should I pay anything?

Sorry it's late, need sleep. I've never known anyone to get insurance on a rental motorbike, car yes, but that was through the same rental agency. If you do find, make sure the papers are binding. Thais have a habit of scamming. And if so, for the bike, you will pay & the coverage will be spotty. Just be happy you got a good monthly rate, though maybe take it somewhere to confirm the tire tread & brakes are safe & if not, well it's not the responsibility of the rental company.

Night.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

if it gets totalled ,youl have to buy them a new one

they usually have a cop involved so youl have to sit in jail or go to the atm

Wait till they pop around in the night with the spare key and remove it, then you'll have fun sorting that out.

God, sounds like a hassle from hell. I hope they don't that shit. I'm renting from the shop right outside my condo so that probably won't happen… (unless they run more than that one shop)

Wait till they pop around in the night with the spare key and remove it, then you'll have fun sorting that out.

God, sounds like a hassle from hell. I hope they don't that shit. I'm renting from the shop right outside my condo so that probably won't happen… (unless they run more than that one shop)

Yes...can be. No insurance available for bikes. You rent a car or a bike in Thailand only if you need it so bad....and never using the passport for warranty, just a cash deposit..... if you do not mind in losing it. At least get a good chain and lock the tire when parking.

never had a query in 15 years here, 35+ stateside

including gubment, police etc

but then I've never used it for anything dodgy either, just like the convenience & privacy

Edited by wym

From USPS Form 1583:

Warning: The furnishing of false or misleading information on this form or omission of material information may result in criminal sanctions (including fines and imprisonment) and/or civil sanctions (including multiple damages and civil penalties).

thanks, I guess you're trying to be helpful, but as I said never an issue

when I have had people show up at the shop, they've called me and I then contacted them to meet at a time and place at my convenience

utility bills in the landlord's, GF or a corporation's name too

use GF accounts for money transfers too, never a problem

Better to rent from a shop that doesn't know where you live.

As is well known by the informed, when one rents a bike, you are required to give your address. Duh. whistling.gif

I have rented bikes all over Thailand and never once have they asked where I live just passport details.

Also what is to stop you from just making up an address in Thailand ?

Just Stick to the premise that the bike you have rented is uninsured and drive it as such thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Hmmm … I'm thinking I should ride the baht bus, hop on the occasional motorbike taxi, and pay the 160 or so baht every time I get around town. If I get around town 3 days a week, that's the same as renting the bike, with no risks, insurance crap, etc.

I'm calling off the motorbike thing!

Thanks everyone

definitely safer, as long as you stick to song taews for long distances, only use the motos for short trips

but buying a bike and then reselling it probably ends up being cheaper than renting over the long haul, and then you can get good insurance

Any bike you can honestly rent for 2000 a month is probably worth less than 20,000baht ($650),

so IF these guys were setting you up, they could be operating a profitable scam.

PM me if you want me to recommend an honest place.

Or contact 'AA Insurance' broker Pattaya and ask them.

Riding a bike around is great fun, albeit risky, so if you do, please be careful.

Helmet, long pants, gloves, no sandals, sober... .

Edited by papa al