Thammasat unveils new rice strain

Lite Beer

What they dont say is how they got this new strain. Given thailands lack of concern for the quality of foods this troubles me deeply. Was it genetic altering, chemicals, or ??

I think patent doesnt make it safe. It will be a good thing for thailand only if they can prove to the world the new strain is safe for consumption at world standards. This article lacks significant information to say more

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Far be it from me to suggest that anything Thai isn't 100 per cent safe but the timing is curious too.

Almost too good to be true.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What they dont say is how they got this new strain. Given thailands lack of concern for the quality of foods this troubles me deeply. Was it genetic altering, chemicals, or ??

I think patent doesnt make it safe. It will be a good thing for thailand only if they can prove to the world the new strain is safe for consumption at world standards. This article lacks significant information to say more

The report said it is not GMO. I would imagine it came about by centuries old methods pioneered by Gregor Mendel, ie selective breeding.

It sounds interesting. non-GMO, higher yields. What would perhaps be even more important in the future is whether it is reliant on intensive fertilizer, pesticide, and/or herbicide use. Those are the killers for farmers high, causing high production costs. Higher and quicker yields should help somewhat.

Good questions. My curiosity is if it (the new strain) will soon be treated in a Monsanto way. I hope not. Geez I despise Monsanto!

• Like 1

The main problem monsanto Dupoint or BASF have with Seeds and strains is they cant make patent on them because they are Organic and would occur naturally innature. When I read he already got patent on the strain I know its GMO. ONLY GMO can be patentet right now.

Edited by Ragzilb

Good job this wasn't being grown commercially two years ago or there would be 50 million tons in storage rather than 20.

Joking aside. The world already produces enough rice, maybe more than enough judging by the way the price is falling.

All this will do is result in lower prices and more Thai farmers giving up rice farming.

You forgot to mention one thing, the rice, if as the OP posted is 100% better than the rubbish rice (broken, dirty and smelly at best) that is served in most places around Thailand, then yes I will for once eat Thai boiled rice and lets get rid of the bad rice that the farmers have SOLD with all the pest controled drugs that they use.

Win coffee1.gif

Edited by Kan Win

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The report said it is not GMO. I would imagine it came about by centuries old methods pioneered by Gregor Mendel, ie selective breeding.

Finally a sensible post. We have been doing this for centuries. Why do you think there are so many variants of spuds? or dogs even. The jack Russell is a wolf in ....errr ......jack russell clothing.

And really what is wrong with modifying food genetically or otherwise? Frankenstein rice? Get real.

Just what we need...MORE rice.....they can't even shift the mouldy stuff in storage. Flood the market and prices per tonne will drop even further. Perhaps every student up north should take economics 101 and understand about supply and demand.

They couldn't afford it. They would have to go out of country to get that kind of an education.

While I am glad to see Thailand finally do some thing remarkable. I like many am wondering what the short term effect will have on the industry. I can see the long term if this is the real McCoy having many rice growers seeking other plants to grow.

Great as it is if it is for real it will be a very painful transition.

Good job this wasn't being grown commercially two years ago or there would be 50 million tons in storage rather than 20.

Joking aside. The world already produces enough rice, maybe more than enough judging by the way the price is falling.

All this will do is result in lower prices and more Thai farmers giving up rice farming.

Yes, and it could possibly solve world hunger.... terrible to think that if this was being grown 2 years ago, it could have saved people from starvation.

It's great that it's more tolerant to pests! It will help reduce the billions on litres of pesticide that has to be splashed over the country that ends up in the river system. You know, the rivers that contain all of the fish farms!