Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Freeze all the time

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with Android Ver 4.4.2

Since I updated the Android, the phone often locks up totally so that only removing the battery revives it.

Under the previous version, that never happened.

And I am apparently not the only one. My Missus' phone, some model, same OS (but black case) does exactly the same.

Is this a bug (or a feature) of Android 4.4.2 (KiteKate, I believe)?

Anyone else experiences the same?

Android Ver. 4.4.2 also has a camera icon on the lock screen, but nothing happens when I click it or wipe it or do anything to it.

When, and how, did you perform this update? You received some sort of notification? Did the update appear to proceed "normally"?

I guess there could be some significant fault with the update? Or maybe an issue of not clearing various cache(es) before updating?

I might see if there another update: Settings, About phone, System updates.

Or, I might try a full factory reset: Settings, Personal/Backup & reset, Factory data reset.

On the lock screen touch the camera icon, and that allows the camera app/screen to "peek out: from one side, slide your finger up, then drag that camera screen across. This simply gives you quick access to the camera app. so you can capture those random, spontaneous moments.

Edited by lomatopo

Both mine and my wife's Note 3 updated fine and work with no issues. Wife got OTA update, I used Samsung Kies.

Try clearing the cache. Go into a recovery (turn off the phone and press simultaneously home + power + volume up) and clear the cache.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There can be 2 different types of camera shortcut on the locked screen. Both work flawless in my case. Go to your phone lock screen settings, in the shortcut setting there are 3 options: none camera and custom. Camera will give you one shortcut in the bottom corner. If selecting custom, another menu will appear where you can define up to a 5 different apps to launch from the lock screen. This what I use and beside the camera app shortcut I have a calc, phone, SMS and Internet shortcuts. Try this.

If everything else fails, save all your data to a computer and do a factory reset. Sometimes there are bits and pieces left from the previous OS and things can not work smooth.

As a last resort, take your phone to a samsung service center (again, back up all your data) and tell them to fix it, they should be taking the blame if the malfunction was caused by their own update.

You can't downgrade it by the way so you're stuck with KK.

Any progress? I might turn the phone off, remove the battery and SIM, re-install both, and re-start the phone.

You could also download the appropriate firmware and flash it with ODIN; personally this is the only method I would utilize as KiES and OTA updates are potentially unreliable.

After backing up all my data, I would wipe data, clear cache and Dalvik in recovery first.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=25867

Otherwise agree with the recommendation to visit a Samsung service outlet.

I had this same issue,,, drove me crazy. There were several temporary fixes that fixed the issue for 1-2 days but it kept coming back.

It turned out that I was using a non-Samsung cover which was messing up the smart cover settings. I removed the cover and the problem was fixed.

So are you using a cover? If so, is it an official Samsung made cover (which apparently have small micro chips inside of them to help communicate with the phone)?