Looking for Swordfighting school in Chiang mai

DJ21

Hey guys,

I am very interested in finding a school/instructor where I can learn martial arts combined with weapons (preferably swords or longswords)

Does anybody have any ideas where I should inquire?

Cheers

• Like 1

Generally speaking, when a martial art form combines weapons with empty-hand tactics, one learns the empty-hand movements first, then adds the weapons to that.

This generally comes in the more advanced stages of training, several years down the line.

If you are looking to speed up the process, there are a few options. Ethiopian Donga. Portugal's Jogo do Pau,

French system of la canne, or Filipino Escrima, Kali, or Arnis de Mano.

• Like 1

There is a post a month or two back about fencing and sabre use. Thats the closest thing I know of, maybe someone knows about a kendo class.

A person will need a strong Martial Arts background before they can translate the moves from sport fencing into a self-defense system. However if one DOES have that background, it's quite easy to see how modern sport fencing, especially sabre and epée techniques, can be adapted to other edged or pointed objects and easily become a very formidable form of self defense. There are edged and pointy things everywhere. Just not so many 'swords' available. Probably a good thing, that. :)

• Like 1

There is a post a month or two back about fencing and sabre use. Thats the closest thing I know of, maybe someone knows about a kendo class.

A person will need a strong Martial Arts background before they can translate the moves from sport fencing into a self-defense system. However if one DOES have that background, it's quite easy to see how modern sport fencing, especially sabre and epée techniques, can be adapted to other edged or pointed objects and easily become a very formidable form of self defense. There are edged and pointy things everywhere. Just not so many 'swords' available. Probably a good thing, that. smile.png

Maybe he is thinking of broadswords Like the knights of old carried.tongue.png

A person will need a strong Martial Arts background before they can translate the moves from sport fencing into a self-defense system. However if one DOES have that background, it's quite easy to see how modern sport fencing, especially sabre and epée techniques, can be adapted to other edged or pointed objects and easily become a very formidable form of self defense. There are edged and pointy things everywhere. Just not so many 'swords' available. Probably a good thing, that. smile.png

Which I think he was, and that sounds like a ton of fun and a great work out!

Which I think he was, and that sounds like a ton of fun and a great work out!

Basket-hilt swords (what you call broad swords or Claymores,) weigh between 5-7lbs. Next time you're at Tesco or Big C, try holding a 5lb dumbbell (a two-liter water bottle will work at home,) out at arm's length for... oh... a good three or four minutes... Then imagine trying to move it with accuracy left and right, up and down, around in circles... Guess what your arms will feel like after about... six minutes (if you are in exceptional condition with very strong hands, forearms, and shoulders you should be able to last six minutes. Maybe.)

Now start adding in some of Ali's fancy footwork (yeah, the steps are different, but you get the idea.) A 'great workout?' Sword fighting (or fencing) is about the best workout one can get. It's perfect high intensity interval training mixed with aerobics and strength training. I know, 'cuz we do it every week. Only we do it for several hours. The sport is safe but the workouts can kill ya! LOL!

Edited by FolkGuitar

For that he needs to find a chapter of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism,) an international group of people dedicated to living in the past. They get into the whole 'armored knights' thing, making their own armor, and practicing fighting styles used by the armored knights. However, they don't use metal swords. Theirs are made of PVC pipe covered with foam rubber and duct tape. Other than that, they try for authenticity in costumes and speech, food and beverage, etc., at all their gatherings. They do the whole Court thing, with rankings and social standings, and all the trappings. At night, instead of going to bed with a good book, the ladies of the Court might just curl up with a Page...

I believe the OP is looking to practise/learn Chinese-style martial arts (with weapons) Forummers are correct in advising that the basics involve learning "empty hand" combat first. Without knowing these basic principles, the exponent cannot wield weapons effectively and may even hurt him/herself.

In South-east Asia this brand of martial arts is called "Wushu". Whether in Vietnam, Singapore or Thailand, the groups are related to Chinese cultural associations which often bring in coaches from China. I found this website of such a group in Bangkok:

http://www.shaolinkungfuthailand.com/SWT-Workshop.html

I know nothing of this group and cannot recommend it. I simply found it by internet search using the key words WUSHU and THAILAND. Wushu is a very good discipline but you must have good teachers who will guide you along the correct path. I wish you every success.

Edited by jazzed

I guess we need to ascertain if the OP is looking for a 'display' style or a 'functional' one. Wushu or Tai Chi sword forms are beautiful, but not to applicable to the street as neither stresses sparing. Arnis or Silat would give more use.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback.

Specifically I am looking for something involving swords (martial arts optional) that will result is a great physical work out and can replace other activities I use to exercise.

• Like 1

hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback.

Specifically I am looking for something involving swords (martial arts optional) that will result is a great physical work out and can replace other activities I use to exercise.

In that case, why not check out the Chiang Mai Fencing Club? The Epée is as close to old rapier fighting as you can get without drawing blood, and sabre is a good workout too. Foil is the most delicate of the weapons but I can guarantee that unless you are in perfect physical condition to start with, you are going to be dropping in your tracks after the first 15 minutes, and you won't be able to hold the sword up any longer. I taught kung-<deleted> for 25 years, and will say that without a doubt, fencing is a MUCH more strenuous workout.

Modern fencing combines endurance sports, combat sports, hard interval training exercise, and aerobics, all together with the mental aspects of a chess game without the waiting between moves. We usually play from 1pm until 4:00-4:30 depending on how many are present. The fewer the players the more time we spend actually fighting, and it really IS exhausting. Beginners are more than welcome. Unless you are extra large sized, there will be protective clothing and weapons for you to use. If the sport is something that you can get into, you can purchase your own kit for about $150 US (for everything) from the supplier in China. Weekly club dues are 50 baht a week to help pay for rent of the fencing salle (room.) Fencing is NOT an expensive sport, but it does cost calories... If you just want to come and watch, that's OK too. We have chairs for those to old or infirm to play... If you want more information, just send me a private msg with an e-mail address and I'll send you full directions and some tips for dress if you want to play.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I met up with FolkGuitar today and had my first fencing session, and it was fantastic! I knew I would enjoy it, but not as much as I did! I encourage anyone who is even slightly interested to come on down and try it out!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I met up with FolkGuitar today and had my first fencing session, and it was fantastic! I knew I would enjoy it, but not as much as I did! I encourage anyone who is even slightly interested to come on down and try it out!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your introduction to the sport. In fact, the appreciation for it will actually grow as your skills and abilities increase, and you start to add the mental aspect to the game. In the beginning, it's difficult to remember so many different things; where to put your feet, which foot to move first, how to aim the weapon, how to defend yourself without exposing more target area, etc., etc., but it will all come together quickly.

You have the added benefit of being young and fit to start with. Some of us old guys really have to work hard to be able to play for 3-4 hours. 5 minutes of combat can feel like a lifetime when the guy in front of you is coming at you with a sword!!! LOL!

See you next Saturday in the Fencing salle!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Is there any Kendo in Chiang Mai? I see on Facebook, that there used to be...but the group has not been active (at least on FB) since 2011.

Thanks

There is a group that practices at CMU. I'm not sure if they have a resident instructor at this time. If you have a Facebook account you can search for CMU Humanities Kendo Club.

Edited by hml367

Did you find a school ? I happen to ride past a fencing school regularly so if you need details let me know and I,ll tell you where etc.

Marcusmarsh, is it the Chiang Mai Fencing Club just off the Superhighway that you pass, or have you found another? It would be great if there were another group fencing in the area. We would be able to schedule regular competitions!

yes, unfortunately FolkGuitar that is the school I ride past.

Thanks, marcusmarsh. Yes, unfortunately fencing isn't quite as popular as golf these days... A shame too, as it's a LOT less expensive, a lot more exercise, and of course a lot more (for me!) fun. :)

Instead of just driving past, why not stop and have a look next Saturday afternoon. Visitors are always welcome, and you may discover it's a sport for you and the family. We have fencers, both men and women, from age 12 through 67!

We are always looking for new people to fence with, and having other clubs around really stirs up the fighting spirit. Nothing like a rival club to spur on the competitive air! The Royal Thai Navy is sponsoring a major International tournament in Bangkok this June, and we are training like mad to be ready for it. There will be fencers from all over the world competing, and the Chiang Mai Fencing Club will be fielding fencers for Individual Epeé, Individual Foil, Team Epeé, and Team Foil. I'm still up in the air about competing in the Individual Sabre matches... I need more practice with that weapon but there aren't very many Sabre fencers around to work with.

FolKGuitar - I honestly might do that. When I see the sign I have sometimes thought 'why not' ?

What time does it happen from and to on a Saturdays? Saturdays are actually my busiest day work wise so another day would be more preferable but still Id genuinely like to take a look.

FolKGuitar - I honestly might do that. When I see the sign I have sometimes thought 'why not' ?

What time does it happen from and to on a Saturdays? Saturdays are actually my busiest day work wise so another day would be more preferable but still Id genuinely like to take a look.

First, let me say that it isn't a 'school' per se rather, it's a club but formal lessons are available as are informal ones.

We are a group of fencers, most of us quite enthusiastic about the sport, who meet to socialize and play just as in any other sport.

Perhaps it's safe to say that Fencing is a far more disciplined sport than many others simply because there are weapons involved, and we take our fighting very seriously. But in the end, it's just a group of like-minded individuals meeting for fun. And it really IS fun!

Right now we are only meeting on Saturday afternoons beginning at 1:00pm, and fencing until we are too tired to continue. That's 3-4 hours for the experienced and 1-2 hours for the newer fencers, It really IS an exerting workout. However, with the Royal Thai Navy international tournament coming, we've been talking about meeting 2-3 times a week so we'll be ready for the event. That will be fighting from morning til night... not easy for us old guys.

If you want me to keep you advised as to schedule changes, please send me a msg with an e-mail address or phone number, and I'll let you know as soon as we make the changes. As I said before, you'll be more than welcome.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Just a reminder for those looking to fill an otherwise empty afternoon...

The Chiang Mai Fencing Club meets this afternoon (Saturday) and visitors, watchers, and prospective players are more than welcome! Plenty of parking available.

If you are looking for an inexpensive way to get back in shape quickly, have a good time, and pass a few pleasant hours, here's a way to do it!

(Disclaimer: 'watching' will not get you back in shape nearly as quickly as participating.)

Here's the map to our location. Just as the frontage road splits off the Superhighway, the Fencing Hall is just 10 meters on the left down the lane under the RED SIGN. These days there is a large red and white truck tire roadeside.

Chairs are available.

Sounds cool your fencing club FolkGuitar ! I might give it a try soon.

I have seen a lot of taekwendo clubs for kids here, but no Judo, no Karate, no Aikido or Ju-Jutsu. We are so close from japan so why is it so difficult to find these here ? as there are so many in europe..

I miss Aïkido so much, if someone knows any aikido club or any japanese martial art club here, please tell !

Best Regards to all

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of taekwendo clubs for kids here, but no Judo, no Karate, no Aikido or Ju-Jutsu. We are so close from japan so why is it so difficult to find these here ? as there are so many in europe..

I miss Aïkido so much, if someone knows any aikido club or any japanese martial art club here, please tell !

Best Regards to all

It's better than cool, Zendo. It's grrreat! :)

We fenced for almost four hours today, both foil and epée (I was the only sabre fencer there today and it's hard to fence it alone. Maybe next week our other sabre fencer will bring his weapon?) It was a good work-out and a great practice session. There were lessons going on for three people, and five experienced fencers playing.

As for aikido, I think you can find some at CMU, but I don't know if the let non-member play.

CMU has the Aikido club which you can practice with. There is a modest fee.

There is a kendo club at CMU, as I posted before. I am not sure they have an instructor at this time. They had a Japanese instructor. I don't know who can practice with the kendo club or if there are costs.

We also have a JKF Wado Kai karate club that practices at CMU. It is free to practice. The only costs would be a uniform if you want one and the cost of colored belts if you pass exams. One belt is good for 3 levels to keep the costs lower. The uniforms are not sold by the club but the club could tell you where to purchase.

• 3 years later...
Best Regards to all

Just following up Zendo, did you find the Aikido group at CMU? I'm also interested in Aikido classes if they're open to non-students/members. Keen to hear if you got in there!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app