Is thailand comparable to england for food costs

2008bangkok

Firstly, your figures are wrong, Th average salary in the UK is 26,500 GBP per year,, this is 2200 GBP per month before tax.

Secondly, you cannot judge the price of food in Thailand by looking at foreign products, this is not an indication of food prices. The reality is that food is much cheaper in Thailand then the UK, absolutely no doubt about it. But this is only relevant if you buy local produce and eat like a local Thai, which of course Thai's do.

If you look at the price of cornflakes, digestive biscuits, English Tea bags etc then of course food is expensive in Thailand as it is imported foreign food. Likewise if I buy apple aubergines, fish sauce, shrimp paste, Thai basil etc in the UK it is far more expensive then buying locally in Thailand.

Also, eating out in Thailand is far cheaper, again IF you don't go to the European restaurants but buy locally.. I quite regularly go to a small local restaurant for rice, pork with Basil and a lemon tea and I pay about 60 baht.. This is just over 1 GBP,,, there is absolutely no where, anywhere where you can eat out for this kind of money in the UK.

So, in summary,, eat local food it's cheap, eat foreign imported food its expensive, but generally the cost of living in Thailand is far lower then the UK.

You seem to have gone from one extreme to the other and missed out the main point of the post, of course if you eat imported stuf its going to be more expensive but i am taking about everyday stuff you can get in 7-11 bread , milk and potatoes etc you dont need to import potatoes from uk im sure

plus you can get rice in uk for 4 quid which is the same as here http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273043485

Edited by 2008bangkok
  • Like 1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One example: Australian butter is cheaper in UK 5? times the distance?

Look at the list of foods. You have bread, pasta, butter, potatoes, etc... none of it is Thai food.

So yes, that food you mentioned is about the same price in UK as Thailand. However, the poorer Thais don't eat that food, because, well, they can't afford it.

• Like 1

East coast - for fresh fish and bigger portion... almost all you can eat size posrtion of chips.

And on to Scotland - been told Aberdeen is proud of it's Fish and chips

A place for lovers... and fish and chips by the sea

In Scotland last Summer I payed 6.80 for fish and chips!!
(340 baht)

Best place in the UK for ''Fish and Chips'' for sure...., further north, even better..

Did you wash it down with ''Barrs Iron Bru'' ???.... another regional treasure...

It always amazes me that someone could come here to live and only eat western food ,i have a friend who has been here 20 odd years and never eats "Thai Rubbish" amazing ,when i am back in the UK i miss Thai food so have to take some with me .

as for the prices ,from what i see many poor westerners eat crap packet food full of e numbers and god knows what ,at least poor Thais eat good fresh food.

is it possible to get thai food not covered in pesticides , im scared to eat it now , it may only appear to look fresh , and most of it is dangerous , profit is more important than life or health to thais

(340 baht)

Best place in the UK for ''Fish and Chips'' for sure...., further north, even better..

Did you wash it down with ''Barrs Iron Bru'' ???.... another regional treasure...

No i couldnt afford an iron bru!

It was a nice fish supper in Ullapool but pricey.

I can feel a new "fish and chip" thread coming on.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ullapool.. Gosh ''La Creme De La Creme'' of ''Chippies''.. must of been delicious, and you should of splashed out on the ''Iron Bru'' and washed it down with a ''Fried Mars Bar''.. now that would of stuck to your ribs on the way down for sure.., one thing you are guaranteed of getting in Scotland is plenty of ''Cholesterol and Greasey Food''.. but its fine all the same...

East coast - for fresh fish and bigger portion... almost all you can eat size posrtion of chips.

And on to Scotland - been told Aberdeen is proud of it's Fish and chips

A place for lovers... and fish and chips by the sea

(340 baht)

Yep, Aberdeen is one of the best places for ''Fish and Chips'' but to be honest the further north you go is good as well, Peterhead and Fraserburgh is excellent to.. also you need to try ''Deep Fried Mars Bar''... a local delight.. that will certainly stick to your ribs, but brings a smile to your face...

as you drown on the Cholesterol...

All good fodder.. for sure.. keeps the ''Cald'' at bay...

It always amazes me that someone could come here to live and only eat western food ,i have a friend who has been here 20 odd years and never eats "Thai Rubbish" amazing ,when i am back in the UK i miss Thai food so have to take some with me .

as for the prices ,from what i see many poor westerners eat crap packet food full of e numbers and god knows what ,at least poor Thais eat good fresh food.

is it possible to get thai food not covered in pesticides , im scared to eat it now , it may only appear to look fresh , and most of it is dangerous , profit is more important than life or health to thais

Don't be naive. Do a little research on companies like Monsanto and their food production methods, before you begin criticizing Thai farmer food production methods. We're all being fed shit, regardless of country or where we buy it.

• Like 1

Cost of a bag of rice in the UK based on uk minimum wage is 1/2 hr work, cost of a bag of rice in thailand based on thai minimum wage 3/4 days wage

5kg bag

Agree, but in the UK they work much harder then in Thailand. In the UK they do the same amount of work as 2-3 thai do.

If you eat rice 3 times a day and almost no meat then you can't work hard like a farang anyway, miss the energy.

Bread in the 7-11 is cheap yes but also i don't like it. A small half bread costs 70 baht and for a very good one i pay 95. Even my wife loves that wholeweat bread with many seeds/nuts.

At her work in the canteen a cup of fresh real coffee costs 50 baht. Her collegues want icecoffee from Amazon though, 70 or 80 baht, every day also the secretary.

Yes streetfood is cheap, 35-45 for fried rice without any vegy (1 slice of cucumber and 1 slice tomato) and 2 prawns or 9 pieces chickenfillet. I can't call that a lunch/dinner i need more then that and don't want to eat msg everyday.

Only thing i like from the market is sticky rice with mango and coconutcream, 40-50 baht.

On the market they are very hygienic with the food, they wear plastic gloves! The butcher wears them, takes your money with that and gives you change and then grabs another piece of pork to chop up. Then the fruitpeeler also wears those gloves, takes your money with the same gloves and gives you change. Very good!

When the market is over, they grab all the meat, put in boxes and in the truck. The blood is still dripping of the benches. I don't know if they even wash the markethall before the next day they put their meat back on the benches but i don't want to know that.

Some butchers also sell fish, with the same gloves they grab the pork and the fish and also the money. There is no cooling and loads of fly's. Soi dogs, rats, cockroaches everything runs around. Do you think it's strange i prefer supermarkets? Then the formalin or other preservatives they use to keep meat/seafood fresh, nope i would rather pay more elsewhere.

• Like 2

Cost of a bag of rice in the UK based on uk minimum wage is 1/2 hr work, cost of a bag of rice in thailand based on thai minimum wage 3/4 days wage

5kg bag

Agree, but in the UK they work much harder then in Thailand. In the UK they do the same amount of work as 2-3 thai do.

If you eat rice 3 times a day and almost no meat then you can't work hard like a farang anyway, miss the energy.

Quote of the day lol, brilliantwai2.gif

Saw this thread and thought it would be quite relevant for my question:

I'm currently living in the UK and will be doing an internship in Chiang Mai in a few months and I need to think about my budget.

Here I spend about 55-65 pounds per week on food, which I feel is quite a lot of money for a single person. (about 3000-3500 baht per week)

I have a healthy diet and only buy fresh ingredients, rarely any processed crap. I shop in ASDA and try to avoid expensive branded things and usually I get my meats from the local butchers, because it's significantly cheaper and better quality than in the supermarkets.

My weekly shopping looks like this:

-2kg chicken breast

-2kg beef/mince

-fresh vegetables

-bag of rice

-bag of potatoes

-12 eggs

-bag of oats

-6 x 500g tub of 0% fromage frais (its like cheap yoghurt with high protein)

-frozen berries

-spices/herbs occasionally

Do you think I will be able to get my shopping done for a lot cheaper in Chiang Mai? I like thai food and can obviously replace some of the things, such as beef for fish if this is cheaper. I'm also willing to shop around markets if they have better deals for lean meats.

For eating out I noticed that the portion sizes were very small when I visited Thailand. Apart from a few places (e.g buying a whole fish), I usually had to order 2 mains as the portions were so small. The cheaper places seem to save by putting very little chicken in their curries too, which makes me think that is it really that much cheaper?

I have a healthy diet and only buy fresh ingredients

You'll love it here in Thailand. Fresh ingredients are cheap. The only items I see that will gobsmack you are potatoes. Ditch the potatoes, and double up on the rice, or substitute noodles. Forego the frozen berries and go with fresh mango, pineapple or papaya.

Sadly, I don't have the time to do the same shopping or cooking.

Edited by impulse

I have a healthy diet and only buy fresh ingredients

You'll love it here in Thailand. Fresh ingredients are cheap. The only items I see that will gobsmack you are potatoes. Ditch the potatoes, and double up on the rice, or substitute noodles. Forego the frozen berries and go with fresh mango, pineapple or papaya.

Sadly, I don't have the time to do the same shopping or cooking.

Spuds are only around 30 Baht a kilo which is around the same price I pay for good spuds in the UK.

http://www.booths.co.uk/seasonal/cyprus-loose-potatoes/

Generally around 65p a kilo.

Edited by notmyself

He said 1500 Baht a day with 7 persons. That is a little bit more than 210 Baht a day or 30 per person. Your examples are for one meal and why is rice and veggies free?

Do you believe Mama noodles or khaow man gai is proper healthy food? And where do you live that rice costs 5Baht (here near CM it is 10 in the fresh market)? No fruits no sweets that is existing but not living.

Rice is from the family farm and free. Vegetables are from the year round garden across the street and almost free.

The only thing we pay for is chicken, fish and pork. Mama noodles are a starch so yes when mixed with vegetables and protein they are fine. Cow men gai is rice and chicken and soup with root vegetables in the soup. It's fine. What is a hamburger or fish and chips? For four people for one day I would spend 80 baht for a chicken and the rest is close to free. Rice porridge for breakfast. Pork soup with noodles and spinach for lunch. Roast chicken with rice and vegetables for dinner. My cost less than 200 baht for 4 people. Good balanced meals.

Rice noodles soaked for a few minutes in hot water: 5 Baht. Boned out chicken thigh: 10 Baht. Couple of hands full of fresh vegetables: free mostly. Small amount of garlic and ginger: Free mostly. Couple of slugs of oyster sauce and or Soy, fish sauce. 3-4 Baht? Half a lime and a couple of chillies: Free. Tiny amount of oil for stir frying: 2-3 Baht? 22 Baht all in and half that for a vegetable only stir fry. Healthy and balanced lunch for one.

mileages vary as far as "healthy and balanced" is concerned. how can a lunch be balanced without a fistful of healthy king prawns? huh.png

• Like 1

Spuds are only around 30 Baht a kilo which is around the same price I pay for good spuds in the UK.

Generally around 65p a kilo.

Good point. Could be that I buy my plain Jane commodity spuds in bulk back home- 10 or 20 lb bags, and have found nowhere here that I can buy bulk spuds. (Edit: Though this next post #79 is closer to my recollection at 50-60 baht per kg)

FYI, retail price of 10lb bag of russet spuds in the weekly ads in the USA is about $0.31 per pound. Can you imagine a Thai agency actually publishing this kind of stuff...

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvwretail.pdf

Since I don't get home often, it's interesting to see what fruit and veggie prices are doing back there...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

In BKK potato's cost 50-60 a kg on the market or Tesco. But i think you will survive with that money. I eat a lot of fresh fruit now because it seems healthy and is nice and easy. Cooking at home costs more then eating outdoor, also you need a proper kitchen which is not cheap but i guess you will rent.

I can eat cheaper at home for sure but you get used to what is around here. Also shopping takes much time and effort. If i count all together i would go to Sizzlers everyday, buy sandwiches from Yamazaki bakery and eat much fruit and drink much water.

The thing is i like to eat good food and enough. I need much vegy and good meat. Potato's here are not good for frying or deepfrying, steaming works great and mashed potato also. Just have to find the nutmeg.

You can buy a whole grilled 5star chicken on the street, 110 baht with chilisauce. Not bad but i don't want that to often, i don't trust the thai with meat.

Foodcourts are also cheap but small portions and not really nice. When you first arrive in Thailand everything is fun and nice but after some years you will miss the real thing. I gave up for finding decent steaks, minced meat is better here.

Fish they eat with bones and skin. Nobody can serve a proper fillet, even deepfried fish like in the UK you won't find in a thai place. Good fry's are also hard to find even when you will make it at home.

Yes maybe i sound like a spoiled brat but hey i'm a farang and was raised with good food. Pizzacompany is great though (superdeluxe pizza 2 for the price of 1). Good hamburgers, Burger king and MOS-burger.

Good Japanese food, Fuji and the other one that's everywhere. Not cheap though and to get stuffed it sure costs you 700 or more for 2 persons.

Black canyon has nice fried rice american. The rest all is not nice, i tried about the whole menu.

If you want to eat well for 500 in BKK then go to Central Plaza, walk out of the ZEN into the lowest restaurantfloor and then at the righthand side is a buffet restaurant which i like, unlimited food and softdrinks/desert for 450 or so. You might have to wait in the qeueu. European buffet.

• Like 1

Thai food is very cheap and tasty, I love it. Took the missus out for a crayfish (lobster) dinner and paid nearly double what I would in OZ. 3400 Baht per kilo. But you should of seen those heads turn when the beast was delivered to our table. Talk about face !!!

In BKK potato's cost 50-60 a kg on the market or Tesco. But i think you will survive with that money. I eat a lot of fresh fruit now because it seems healthy and is nice and easy. Cooking at home costs more then eating outdoor, also you need a proper kitchen which is not cheap but i guess you will rent.

I can eat cheaper at home for sure but you get used to what is around here. Also shopping takes much time and effort. If i count all together i would go to Sizzlers everyday, buy sandwiches from Yamazaki bakery and eat much fruit and drink much water.

The thing is i like to eat good food and enough. I need much vegy and good meat. Potato's here are not good for frying or deepfrying, steaming works great and mashed potato also. Just have to find the nutmeg.

You can buy a whole grilled 5star chicken on the street, 110 baht with chilisauce. Not bad but i don't want that to often, i don't trust the thai with meat.

Foodcourts are also cheap but small portions and not really nice. When you first arrive in Thailand everything is fun and nice but after some years you will miss the real thing. I gave up for finding decent steaks, minced meat is better here.

Fish they eat with bones and skin. Nobody can serve a proper fillet, even deepfried fish like in the UK you won't find in a thai place. Good fry's are also hard to find even when you will make it at home.

Yes maybe i sound like a spoiled brat but hey i'm a farang and was raised with good food. Pizzacompany is great though (superdeluxe pizza 2 for the price of 1). Good hamburgers, Burger king and MOS-burger.

Good Japanese food, Fuji and the other one that's everywhere. Not cheap though and to get stuffed it sure costs you 700 or more for 2 persons.

Black canyon has nice fried rice american. The rest all is not nice, i tried about the whole menu.

If you want to eat well for 500 in BKK then go to Central Plaza, walk out of the ZEN into the lowest restaurantfloor and then at the righthand side is a buffet restaurant which i like, unlimited food and softdrinks/desert for 450 or so. You might have to wait in the qeueu. European buffet.

Yes maybe i sound like a spoiled brat but hey i'm a farang and was raised with good food

No you were raised with the food you were raised with. Good food is a matter of taste......bit like womenthumbsup.gif

Thai food is very cheap and tasty, I love it. Took the missus out for a crayfish (lobster) dinner and paid nearly double what I would in OZ. 3400 Baht per kilo. But you should of seen those heads turn when the beast was delivered to our table. Talk about face !!!

I remember 10 years ago on the beach on Samui they were 5-600 a kg. Yes now they are expensive.

We were in a famous fishrestaurant with the company of my wife last month and i was amazed how busy it was and how expensive. If a restaurant has good seafood then loads of rich guys show up and order whole loads of it. If you like crab/mussles/oysters/lobsters/clams/prawns then Thailand has great food for you. If you want good fishfillets/steaks you have bad luck.

I like Thai food though but the best way to eat it is in a group of people and order loads of dishes to share. Some karaoke places have great food and are perfect for those mini-party's.

I mean places like this one: http://www.watersidebkk.com/

This one doesn't have spectucalar food though (just okay) but it looks great and has a good atmosphere. There are loads of them.

This one has great food: http://www.bangkokkaraokecity.com/2012/

But this thread was about prices in the UK and Thailand.....This is better info than fish and chips talk though.

Edited by namdocmai

There are loads of bakery's in thailand, also the thai like to eat bread. The breads are different though, you can eat them straight away, they baked the fillings into the bread allready.

But to answer the question, yes it is cheaper in the UK.

On the market i bought a big carrot last week, 20 baht. In the Royal Project shop i can buy 3-4 organic carrots for that price.

On the market you have no idea what carrot you get or what is sprayed or done with it, the organic one tastes much better as well.

Thai don't eat much vegetables. They also eat meat from the markets, go have a look there yourself to see the conditions. Many restaurants also buy their ingredients on those local markets. They might be contaminated with formalin though.

"The Thais don't eat much vegetables"

Scary, there is a parallel universe after all.

I like Thai food though but the best way to eat it is in a group of people and order loads of dishes to share.

That is the de facto way that Thais eat - in groups.

Yes and if you make good mashed potato's or fried ones the Thai will love it! They ask me everytime they are here if i will make it. Also many restaurants serve mashed potato's now, with that Jurruman moo, german porkleg neanderthaler style, even with sauerkraut.

The thing is you have to know a group of Thai to eat that way. In BKK everybody is working......and not many restaurants have huge parkings where they all can gather for an eatingparty, without mentioning the trafficjam. But places like i linked above are our favorites, i know plenty of them.

I'm American so can't compare to the UK, but food in Thailand is much cheaper than the USA and healthier, too.

Not sure who said Thais don't eat veggies - huh, you're kidding right? That's why the wet markets are full of veggies - because nobody buys them. Right! Good business practice.

As for Western food such as peanut butter, Parma ham, cheddar cheese, and so on, you can't logically compare the price to the prices in the US (and probably the UK) because they are imported. So the price reflects transportation costs plus duties on imported goods. Average Thais don't eat these foods and don't shop at Villa Market. Only upper middle class Thais and above do.

In Thailand, my wife and I can eat a nice dinner for two at a decent, middle class Thai restaurant for a couple hundred baht. Don't think you'll do that in the States or in England.

And while we are comparing, just try to buy a nice house in the US/UK for what you pay for one in Thailand!

Saw this thread and thought it would be quite relevant for my question:

I'm currently living in the UK and will be doing an internship in Chiang Mai in a few months and I need to think about my budget.

Here I spend about 55-65 pounds per week on food, which I feel is quite a lot of money for a single person. (about 3000-3500 baht per week)

I have a healthy diet and only buy fresh ingredients, rarely any processed crap. I shop in ASDA and try to avoid expensive branded things and usually I get my meats from the local butchers, because it's significantly cheaper and better quality than in the supermarkets.

My weekly shopping looks like this:

-2kg chicken breast

-2kg beef/mince

-fresh vegetables

-bag of rice

-bag of potatoes

-12 eggs

-bag of oats

-6 x 500g tub of 0% fromage frais (its like cheap yoghurt with high protein)

-frozen berries

-spices/herbs occasionally

Do you think I will be able to get my shopping done for a lot cheaper in Chiang Mai? I like thai food and can obviously replace some of the things, such as beef for fish if this is cheaper. I'm also willing to shop around markets if they have better deals for lean meats.

For eating out I noticed that the portion sizes were very small when I visited Thailand. Apart from a few places (e.g buying a whole fish), I usually had to order 2 mains as the portions were so small. The cheaper places seem to save by putting very little chicken in their curries too, which makes me think that is it really that much cheaper?

Comparing Tesco UK with TescoLotus results as follows

Chicken breast - UK 9gbp/kg Thai 2.90gbp/kg

Pork mince - UK 8gbp/kg Thai 2.90gbp/kg

Rice UK 1.75/kg Thai 0.96/kg

Eggs (10) UK 1.30 Thai 1.02

Broccoli UK 2.75/kg Thai 1.18/kg

Potatoes UK 0.90/kg Thai 0.78/kg

Fresh fruit is much cheaper - assuming you eat local fruit e.g. bananas, mango, papaya

Fish/seafood is vastly cheaper and market prices can be considerably lower for everything.

Yes, your shopping will will be much less than UK and if you are dissatisfied with portions in food places, eat 2. 2 x 30bt is still only 60bt (£1.20) for chicken fried rice which would cost at least £5 in any UK Thai place. Also ask for a 'special' - usually 5-10bt more but you get a lot more for your money. Food places near temples are often the best value (top tip there!!)

If you end up spending half what you do in the UK I'd be very surprised.

• Like 2

It all depends on your life style. If you are cooking for yourself it`s much cheaper in Thailand.Eating out may costs you sometimes, but still you pay less than Tesco`s ready meal. There are some things overpriced here like e.g. nescafe coffee(secured with anti-theft chip in shops) or red wine, and some you cannot even buy. Interesting here you can keep your eating habits and loose on weight at the same time. Bon appetit :)

I remember 10 years ago on the beach on Samui they were 5-600 a kg. Yes now they are expensive.

We were in a famous fishrestaurant with the company of my wife last month and i was amazed how busy it was and how expensive. If a restaurant has good seafood then loads of rich guys show up and order whole loads of it. If you like crab/mussles/oysters/lobsters/clams/prawns then Thailand has great food for you. If you want good fishfillets/steaks you have bad luck.

I like Thai food though but the best way to eat it is in a group of people and order loads of dishes to share. Some karaoke places have great food and are perfect for those mini-party's.

I mean places like this one: http://www.watersidebkk.com/

This one doesn't have spectucalar food though (just okay) but it looks great and has a good atmosphere. There are loads of them.

This one has great food: http://www.bangkokkaraokecity.com/2012/

But this thread was about prices in the UK and Thailand.....This is better info than fish and chips talk though.

Live lobster last Sunday 700 baht a kilo. That is an increase of 100 baht in ten years.