Chiang Mai covered in smoke for the 4th day

webfact

So what, T.I.T. Lots of talk, never ever change. Third world and always will be. No matter how many shopping malls they build!

Same in USA, UK and many Western countries. UK is being taken to court by EU because air quality is so bad. Air and drinking water pollution in USA and UK and well over safe limits in may areas. No matter how many shopping malls UK and USA build, the air and water quality is still shocking in places. SO not just a Thai problem, as many Thai bashers like to claim.

This is an exaggeration.

So what, T.I.T. Lots of talk, never ever change. Third world and always will be. No matter how many shopping malls they build!

and what beautiful clean country are you from ?

I am myself from Montréal Canada which is at least 4 times bigger than Chiang Mai and surrounded by thousands of square miles of forest.

http://www.coteairsante.qc.ca/DetailRegion.aspx?Id=MTLT〈=en

I've been in Chiang Mai for a few years. I live beside Maya. Cannot see Doi Sauthep from my place anymore. Disgusting!

I will leave in May and never return here..I'm confined indoors, choking!

Useful reference to check our chauvinist claims:

http://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings.jsp

Edited by Gil
  • Like 1

It's so clean because most of them have immigrated to Australia!

willem1946

You ask another user what country he is from, I did not see his answer.

But I do need to inform that there is indeed a country that is TOTALLY pollution free and maybe you should go to see for your self.

The country???

NEW ZEALAND

the cleanest country in the world.

Rgds

Gimbo2

Wait!, may be it's a way of Lord Shiva to smoke out some parasitic racist farang back to his civilized country!

post-131333-0-16831200-1394872142_thumb.

Lord Shiva trying to save Thailand!

Edited by ARISTIDE

According to a 2009 report, around "60 percent of Americans live in areas where air pollution has reached unhealthy levels that can make people sick". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_the_United_States

Sure puts Chiang Mai's air pollution into perspective. But many Americans don't like to admit they have problems in the good old US of A. Much better to bash Thailand and pretend allis well back home.

Please note Davy, I am not a Thai basher, in fact, I chose to retire here for many positive reasons offered by Thailand. But I am an American and feel compelled to note your comments. I do agree with you, the US and EU also have pollution problems, this in not a solely Thai problem. I note, however, that the cited reference to the US air pollution denotes a third of US air pollution as traceable to Asian air masses crossing the Pacific. I came from an area having air pollution problems due to coal burning for electric generation. Never did I wake to the view I see from my window here in Chiang Mai annually. Certainly, we can agree, there is a problem here also.

and what beautiful clean country are you from ?

I am myself from Montréal Canada which is at least 4 times bigger than Chiang Mai and surrounded by thousands of square miles of forest.

http://www.coteairsante.qc.ca/DetailRegion.aspx?Id=MTLT〈=en

I've been in Chiang Mai for a few years. I live beside Maya. Cannot see Doi Sauthep from my place anymore. Disgusting!

I will leave in May and never return here..I'm confined indoors, choking!

So.. what's new then this year compared to this time of year in previous years?

If you live in Chiang Mai people leave or adjust their lifestyle in March. If you live in Montreal people leave or adjust their lifestyle in January (due to cold shitty weather). Few places are perfect year round.

Glad that i dont live there, but would never consider it as i love the Sea .....

You mean the radioactive sea along the California coast. LOL. I'd prefer the Chiang Mia smoke to the radioactive sea around California.

Remember, when your doctor tells you to take your meds everyday, he means everyday.

I was working in Beijing last year, this is much less. But what to do with all the humans and all the waste. How do you tell a guy that was raised as a little emperor that he cannot pollute with all his machines and toys whenever he wants? The Humans will get what is coming to them. Like Darwin said "Any species that thrives destroys it self" or some to that effect.

Ah here we go the "One Eyed Aussies" are still alive even up here!!

Cant stand been beaten, the worlds number 1 "Blame everyone but us (Aussies)!!!

Why so many Kiwis in Oz? Because you buggers too lazy to do a full days work.

Here's something else that will get you going. NZ economy now BETTER than your Australian, oh don't tell me its because of all those boat people etc!!!.

How many company's have closed down in Oz lately?? Oh don't tell me its because of those Kiwis!! The revers in NZ more companies have started up, Oh don't tell me those Kiwis stole your companies!!!!

Bunch of ?????????? Wake up to yourselfs.

Now before you want to "Jump On Me" yes I am an Australian!!!!!!!!

Gimbo

e&oe

UPDATE:

Haze in Chiang Mai remains critical

3-17-2014-2-42-07-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- The haze that blankets Chiang Mai town remains critical with latest measurement of air quality by officials showing it is well over safety standard.

The town is still covered by haze thus making poor visibility and harm to people with breathing problem.

Latest measurement of dust particles not exceeding 10 microns or PM 10 at the average 24 hours monitoring at Chiang Mai’s air quality measurement center was at the level of 147 micrograms per cubic meter, and 158 micrograms per cubic meter at Yupharaj college in the town, well above the maximum 120 micrograms per cubic meter safety standard.

With the prevailing haze in the town, the Pollution Control Department today urged all relevant government agencies to stop burning forest areas and to control the burning of trees in open areas, particularly burning roadside bushes and burning trees in forest areas.

It also sought cooperation from the people to stop burning garbage, agricultural waste, leaves and tree branches to lower the dangerous level of haze that is affecting this northern city.

It advised children, old aged people and patients with respiratory problem to avoid outdoor activities in areas covered with haze, and if not, they are advised to wear health masks and to consult their physicians in case of falling sick.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/haze-chiang-mai-remains-critical/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-17

Same as before, Thai love the sound of there own voice. But nothing changes.

No you are right - nothing will change regarding this even it continues to be a big issue.

Talk is cheap...

This is also the reason why I stay away from Cm and surroundings.

Chiang Mai haze beyond safety level
By Digital Content

13950515337994-640x390x2.jpg

CHIANG MAI, March 17 - Concerned authorities are tightening measures to control open-burning, which they say has caused more than 400 forest fires since February.

Chiang Mai Deputy Governor Chana Pangpibul on Monday met officials concerned to evaluate the provincial smog and haze situation as the level of dust particles measured in the upper Thai North reportedly exceeded safety levels.

Many hotspots have been detected in Chiang Mai's Omkoi, Mae Chaem, Hot, Chiang Dao and Doi Tao districts. The province has also recorded more than 400 forest fires in February and March. Over 35,000 rai of farmland have been burnt by fires.

The governor instructed all agencies to strictly monitor and control forest fires by prohibiting all open burning as well as spraying water in the air to reduce the dust particle levels and to keep plants moistened. Chiang Mai Municipality has been tasked to turn on the fountains in the provincial seat to increase humidity.

Provincial public health officials are also ready to monitor the health impact among the residents. The haze problem in the province has already started to reach levels causing eye irritation among residents. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-17

Many posters seem to be getting a little lost in this thread (the haze isn't THAT thick)... just to be clear (sorry for the pun), the thread is about Chiang Mai. No one gives a flying one for the length of saltwater coastline in Afghanistan , USA, UK or wherever. Aussie gripes about kiwis (and vice versa) are irrelevant and xenophobic in equal proportion. Whilst I have no doubt we all follow what is happening in our respective points of origin, no one really gives a hoot about anyone else's pet peeves.

And now back on thread......

It seems ironic that this latest article is published as the air is actually clearing a little..... Whilst it has not been so bad as in previous years, there are plenty of people who are experiencing eye and upper-respiratory tract irritation. bah.gif Anything that can be done to reduce the burning and the subsequent pollution will be greatly appreciated.

I guess the only upside to all this pollution is the enhanced sunsets..... it's an ill wind, eh? wink.png

post-153732-0-29923000-1395054253_thumb. .... Sun setting into the mire, 15/03/2015.

We can actually see Doi Suthep tonight,

• Like 2

This is a topic which arises on a predictable yearly basis .

The profession moaners remain in CM.

Why, I ask, if the place is so disagreeable don't the moaners just move away ?

The old "if you don't like it, go home brigade" is alive and well with an incredibly crass post. For a start, the topic arises on a yearly basis since the burning follows the seasons..(ANNUALLY) facepalm.gif

So you suggest everyone just keeps quiet and allows the burning to continue to the detriment of people's health??? Not very sensible, is it? and furthermore, it is because the place IS so agreeable that we are concerned about the levels of pollution. coffee1.gif

PS

......professional moaners ..... (someone gets paid for posting? Surely not!).

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 2