Looking for sports activities for 13 year old Thai boy on long school holiday.

Mobi

My 12 year old Thai ‘step-son’ is hanging around the house all day; playing video games and watching TV and U-Tube and generally lounging around and annoying his mother.

He has no friends who live nearby, and I would love to get him involved in some organised sport – preferably football – that may be available in east Pattaya or even further afield.

If anyone knows of anywhere that might fit the bill I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you

wai.gif

Mobi

• Like 1

Tell him to get a job.

Worked for my 13y/o son over the Christmas break (6 weeks). Bonus is he has his own money to spend how he likes. I don't begrudge him some internet time after he has come home from work. He also made some new friends.

As Mobi knows, son and I are falang and live in Oz.

Sending him out to work is out of the question for all kinds of reasons.

I am looking for organised sports activities to get him fit, keep him occupied and spend time with other kids of his own age.

planet football on Siam

http://pattayafootball.com/

Sounds like a good idea. Do you have any personal experience/ knowledge?

Haven't you lived here for years and you never knew about planet football?

Seen it a million times, but assumed it ran 'proper' leagues for people who already played football to a reasonable standard. I have now looked at the website and see that they do indeed have coaching for kids of all ages on Saturdays.

I will be going along to see them, but would still appreciate any input from anyone who has kids who go there.

Taekwondo lessons can do as well near SP5, about 100 meters before the entrace of SP5 on SSCC, they have Yoga and Taekwondo lessons inthere, guess Taekwondo suits the needs of your stepson the best :-)

Maybe a Summar Camp can be a idea, they offer it at different schools so he will be busy during the day and just come back at the end of the afternoon again. Great for meeting new friends for him as well.

find a Aikido Dojo. i was training with a lot of teenage boys a few years ago; they really excited about this half-MA and the best thing is Aikido is not about combat and fight. sure he can get his first q in 2 months.

Edited by kaveh

Some good ideas here - thanks.

Just for the record - yes he does swim and we have a pool, and yes we do restrict his video, TV usage, etc., but need to find something fill the gaps.

I didn't mention it before but he is somewhat overweight - not obese and quite capable of running etc. but certainly there is more 'fat' on him than there should be at his age, ( at around 60 kilos - he is already heavier than his mother) - hence, really active pursuits like football may be best.

Planet Football seems the best idea so far but I will look into the others as well.

12 is a great age to take up golf, although this is obviously more difficult to learn and there is a cost aspect. Tennis is possible. Another possibility is squash (I seem to recall there are courts at the Ambassador Hotel). Fitness/gym/running? Does junior rugby exist in Pattaya?

Tell him to get a job.

Worked for my 13y/o son over the Christmas break (6 weeks). Bonus is he has his own money to spend how he likes. I don't begrudge him some internet time after he has come home from work. He also made some new friends.

Chang me personally am not against this idea but where did you put your 13 year old for a job?

Not allot of places in Pattaya would place a 13 year old?

Tell him to get a job.

Chang me personally am not against this idea but where did you put your 13 year old for a job?

Not allot of places in Pattaya would place a 13 year old?

Dirk, as I said we live in Australia, my son got a job at a water park. One of his scout leaders was the a manager there. He now has a retirement saving account, compulsory superannuation clap2.gif , I have explained that every dollar invested now will be worth at least $32 by the time he retires, he gets that.

Finding a kid part time work in Thailand is fraught with problems unless you know the owner of the business personally and can be sure the kid will be treated well.

As it happens he is at school today assisting the teachers take care of the gardens etc in exchange for a free lunch.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am following up on the football which is my preference but will also look at the other ideas.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Finding a kid part time work in Thailand is fraught with problems unless you know the owner of the business personally and can be sure the kid will be treated well.

As it happens he is at school today assisting the teachers take care of the gardens etc in exchange for a free lunch.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am following up on the football which is my preference but will also look at the other ideas.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

exactly my thought that's why I asked

have been looking around for exactly the same but seem hard to find.