Any advice on the hdmi android sticks?

Somtamnication

I bought one of these recently. Great little tech gadget.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SMART-TV-stick-MK809-III-RK3188-QUAD-CORE-Android-GOOGLE-MINI-PC-Bluetooth-/171155991232?pt=AU_MultiFormatMediaPlayers&hash=item27d9b12ac0

I put some movies on a micro SD card and loaded a few apps on it. I plug it straight into a flat screen TV. It's also handy to live stream some sport onto the big screen. I also use it to stream a radio station, on my TV, from my home country.

They are easy to use and strong. I have dropped mine a couple of times and it still works.

I use a mini bluetooth keyboard and touchpad with it. Very portable computing.

Never had a problem.

Edited by KhunHeineken

I bought one of these on Ebay - Rikomagic MK 802 II - quite some time ago, and it was great. I bought the Logitech Revue keyboard for control, and this worked well. having the keyboard and mouse trackpad in one device was convenient. My big complaint about the keyboard was that the trackpad was not "tappable" and scrolling was a bit of a bummer; holding the button and working the trackpad.

I was so impressed with it that I have recently upgraded and bought a Rikomagic MK 802 IV. The reason for the upgrade initially was go gain Bluetooth functionality. I wanted to use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. However when I received it, I discovered that there is an app available for android devices - tablets and phones - which allow complete control. Even better!

These devices have access to Google Play store, and can download and run anything. There is a MicroSD card slot and a USB OTG connector for expansion and playing from external media.

Now my TV is a giant android computer, Full HD 1080p, and my Nexus 7 tablet is the remote controller. Very cool setup!

Just looked at the link by K Heineken above- looks identical to mine in spec except for the model number. 809 instead of 802.

Hi all

I am on my second one, the last being a MK809III android 4.2 bought on eBay , but the wifi connection is impossibly slow, even after modding it by getting the wifi antenna out ... So I hardly use it, as streaming is very bad.

Are the ones you are using ok for wifi ?

Phil

I bought a dual core model by M-Tek in Zeer about 5 months ago. Only 1500THB or so and much more smart than any Smart TV I've got. It works great except for a few problems that may be related to the model I have versus my Android set top box from TOT that I also have.

1. It takes all its power from the HDMI port on TV so cannot drive much on the external USBs - certainly not a HDD and sometimes a USB memory stick doesn't always run.

2. To run a wireless air keyboard or mouse needs a USB transmitter attached to it and my airkeyboard cannot seem to get enough power to sync. The wireless mouse is OK tho - usually. No problems at all with a cable mouse, but that is not convenient.

3. I cannot get Hola unblocker to work on it, says device needs rooting whereas my unrooted TOT Android box accepts Hola.

A lot less problems experienced with a larger Android TV box vs HDMI stick so far in my experience. I will try and but another HDMI stick to compare as they are so cheap and convenient. I do have no problems running stuff like ilikeHD and ThaiExpatTV on it so happy for the price.

I have been doing some research recently, I was thinking about one of the MK808B or MK809 III, as the youtube reviews / demos looked OK, i guess you get what you pay for, maybe OK for me, a couple of thousand as an experiment,

Hi all

I am on my second one, the last being a MK809III android 4.2 bought on eBay , but the wifi connection is impossibly slow, even after modding it by getting the wifi antenna out ... So I hardly use it, as streaming is very bad.

Phil

I've never had a problem with the wifi or anything else for that matter with the Rikomagic products.

I do believe that the 809 is a cheap Chinese knockoff of an already cheap Chinese product. I did some searching for MK 809 III and found a tech forum where people with problems were being advised to upgrade the firmware with the firmware available on Rikomagic site. Also- I can't find anywhere that offers the android control app for 809 that I have with Rikomagic 802 IV.

• Like 1

Im looking at minix neo X7 android box, been around for a few months and firmware seems to be getting a few updates to iron out the minor problems.

Got a pretty good development community and forum which can help with problems. This is in my view the most important part!

can get in Fortune BKK for around 4***฿ i think

forum on here about it

3. I cannot get Hola unblocker to work on it, says device needs rooting whereas my unrooted TOT Android box accepts Hola.

TOT Android boxes are always rooted.

But they don't have a Superuser/Supersu apk installed, so you probably won't notice that.

They just grant root access to everybody and everything, without notification...tongue.png

The Roku on a stick seems much like my Chromecast and about the same price. On my bedroom TV I have a Mini PC TV dual core running Android 4.2. Cost me about 1,500 at Phantip. I have a wireless Logitech k400r keyboard with trackpad and have solved the scrolling problem by using the page up and page down keys. I also have a small air mouse somewhat like the one that accompanies the Roku but find it very clumsy to use. BTW, it seems that you are ordering the Roku on a stick from the US. Is shipping any problem?

• Like 1

Not exactly what the OP was asking for, but have a look at xbmc

Lot's of info and youtube howto videos out there. If you have an outdated computer about it may be of use again.

I have my laptop hooked up to the TV as a monitor anyway, it runs just as any other program.

• Like 1

Im looking at minix neo X7 android box, been around for a few months and firmware seems to be getting a few updates to iron out the minor problems.

Got a pretty good development community and forum which can help with problems. This is in my view the most important part!

can get in Fortune BKK for around 4***฿ i think

forum on here about it

We seem to be moving away from hdmi sticks to android boxes. Fair enough! This is what is so great about tv. I looked at your box http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOX7.html .

I am also looking at the boxes and sticks that have a keyboard on the other side of the remote. One less item to hold, so to speak.

Hi all

Phil

The one I have is fine, but there is a strong wifi signal in the room. You might want to try a HDMI cable as an extension and move the TV stick from behind the TV to onto the TV cabinet. You might get an extra bar of wifi signal and fix your problem.

Hi all

Phil

The one I have is fine, but there is a strong wifi signal in the room. You might want to try a HDMI cable as an extension and move the TV stick from behind the TV to onto the TV cabinet. You might get an extra bar of wifi signal and fix your problem.

Thanks, I have done that already, on internet many people are complaining about the wifi speed with this stick, it is barely 5 meters from the router, no wall and the wifi signal is strong, only the speed is s**t... Unusable. Maybe I've got a lemon, or a bad copy...

I'll probably buy the Rikomagic...

Phil

Not exactly what the OP was asking for, but have a look at xbmc

Lot's of info and youtube howto videos out there. If you have an outdated computer about it may be of use again.

I have my laptop hooked up to the TV as a monitor anyway, it runs just as any other program.

XBMC also runs on my Android HDMI stick (thread subject), so no need to hook up a laptop to the TV.

Existence of a free port of Android to x86 platform may reduce the need of buying an adroid stick or android TV box:

http://www.android-x86.org/

XBMC's capable of running on many different platforms ( including Win 7 ):

http://xbmc.org/download/

HDMI sticks using Android:
- IPPea TV
- Minix NeoG4
- Motioncoding Nova
- Rikomagic MK802IIIS
- SmartTVAPPStick STAS
- Tronsmart MK908II
- Ugoos UM2

Android TV boxes:
- Minix Neo X5
- Minix Neo X7 Mini
- Minix Neo X7
- Ugoos UT1
- Ugoos UT2
- MK888B/UG300B/K-R42
- E-M6 /MX
- MyGica ATV520
- MyGica ATV1200

Note:

dr. Fish at Minix knows exactly how to nibble financial feet of low budget customers lol ... X7 remote is pretty useless. After having plugged in a Neo A2 Airmouse / Flymouse / Keyboard usb receiver the X7 WiFi may stop working! Had to add an usb extension cable to let the DHCP protocol finish its job. Still searching for a suitable remote having a Thai keyboard. Officially only industrial customers of Minix are allowed to use the built-in plug and play touch screen functionality. Far too many upgrades. Guess what's going to happen after a major significant hardware breakthrough elsewhere...

TOT Android boxes are always rooted.

But they don't have a Superuser/Supersu apk installed, so you probably won't notice that.

They just grant root access to everybody and everything, without notification...tongue.png

Even if TOT boxes are rooted to enable Hola to work, then how come Hola works on my Samsung phone which isn't rooted I wonder?