True Ultra 35.. Real world opinions.

LivinLOS

I am currently using TOT 10 Mbit (my modem only connects at 8) ADSL which costs 890 plus line fees and VAT etc etc. I have been on this or variations of this package speed for almost 3 years.

My line is rock solid stable, a few short outages in years. Nothing to gripe about and happens even in the west. My speeds are tolerable but slowing down evening and weekends now as I guess more heavy users are taking the same ADSL on this moobaan. I do get 600 - 800 kbps with well seeded torrents but its not nearly enough for high quality buffer free (HD) streaming from netflix / iPlayer / etc etc. Which is one of my goals of any upgrade.

I also have been seeing a gradual slowdown in the service which I am guessing is local too much line bandwidth sharing locally, and secondly this last couple of months TOT seems to have had problems reaching some sites, intermittent slowdowns to certain sites which seems to be their international config (some sites here in asia fast, some other very slow) which I have to assume is TOT screwing up. f course phone calls to tech support are a waste of time (have you turned the modem off and on) when its clearly not a local loop issue.

Its time to look at if I can improve my services. 3 years on the same package and I guess I am not getting best value any more.

My moobaan does not have 3BB fiber yet. I have had good experiences with 3BB in the past.

It seems I can get both TOT Fiber and True Ultra fiber, as well as better ADSL speeds.. True especially has been awful customer service in the past. So much so I stopped having TV 2 or 3 years ago as I refused to deal with them any more.

Does anyone have the 35/3.5 Mbit True ultra package at 1800 THB as per

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/new-customer/new-customer-promotion-promotion/entry/3012?ln=en

Does this package allow streaming HD from overseas ?? Without regular buffering and drop outs ?? Netflix HD etc ?? Does any package really do this ??

What speeds is this giving in real world tests to UK / USA etc ??

Or how about TOT fiber in the kind of packages ranging from 1k - 2k THB ??

Lastly what is the stability like on these systems ?? My ADSL is rock solid, rain or shine, it might not be blazing fast but it IS super reliable. I trade online and cannot have regular outages like back in the early days of ADSL here. I of course have fallback 3G options, and would keep my current line a few months to get a feel for stability but if these are up and down its a non starter.

I realize this must be commonly asked, but I did have a scan and also guess this changes every few months. Thanks in advance for anyone bothering to take the time with real world reports.

Bugger..

Just went to TOT office.. They can upgrade me to 30/3 fiber for one time 1284 (I think for the new 'modem') and 1 baht (plus VAT !!) install fee.. At first that was 1200b plus VAT per month.. Then it became 1070 plus VAT after a phone call due to some offer..

Given I currently pay 890 seems a very modest increase for a service proposed to be far faster.. I dont expect anything like 30 Mbit.. But if I was to get even 10% international it would be a vast improvement over what I have now.

Line stability being the vital issue.. Cant be doing with up and down net even for a speed increase.

Edited by LivinLOS