Re-Entry to Thailand while on extension of stay

Hi, I'm confused about the rules for re-entry to Thailand while you're here on an extension of stay. My situation: I've been in Thailand for around 2 years now on an ED visa. I've been doing extensions of stay every 90 days at immigration and haven't left the country during that time. Next month I will go for a short trip outside of Thailand and then return. Since my initial visa is expired (the "enter before" date is in the past), I'm assuming I'll need a re-entry permit. Can I get this at Don Mueanng Airport on the day I leave, or do I need to go to the immigration office in Bangkok? Thanks.

I will be returning too Thailand in November and need at least one re-entry permit.

However in August, I will be transfering planes and might have to go through immigration if both planes are at Swampy but will defo have to go through if the other plane departs from Don Muang.

Can I use a transit visa for either of these scenarios or must I use my re-enrty permit (requiring me to get a multiple)?

Can I pay for two single re-entry permits at teh same time or must I get a multiple?

You need a re-entry permit for every entry if you have an extension of stay.

To get a transit visa requires a trip to an embassy or consulate they are not done at the airport and would cancel out your extension if you used one.

I don't recall a case where immigration issued 2 single re-entry permits at the same time. If there is chance you would make another trip out of the country it would be best to get a multiple re-entry permit.

Re-entry permit...??? Here, one must have a valid one for every anticipated return.

I am not well traveled - about a dozen countries - but among those, only Thailand requires a re-entry permit for a current visa.

If you have a valid multiple entry visa you don't need a re-entry permit. If you have a permit to stay from a visa entry you can get a re-entry permit to keep it valid.

You need a re-entry permit to keep your current permit to stay valid if you have an extension of stay (it is not visa).