Thai Airways Panic In The Skies

sriracha john

THAI AIRWAYS COLOMBO EMERGENCY LANDING

Passenger tells of panic and confusion on flight

A passenger on the Thai Airways flight from Colombo to Bangkok that was forced to make an emergency landing minutes after its second attempted take-off on Saturday says there was panic on board, even though the airline's new president played down the incident. ''There was a big bang from the east wing where the engine was, and the plane started to descend. There was no public announcement telling us what to do and everyone started to panic,'' said the passenger who asked to remain anonymous.

The passenger, a Bangkok-based tour company executive, said that passengers, in a state of shock, pulled out their life jackets and started to put them on while a flight attendant ran frantically up and down the aisle telling everyone to keep calm.

''The plane was losing altitude...

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Jun2006_news10.php

Thai flight makes emergency landing at Sri Lanka airport

A Thai airways flight from Colombo to Bangkok made an emergency landing Saturday at Sri Lanka's only international airport shortly after take-off, airport officials said.

The Airbus A-330 aircraft carrying over 225 passengers and crew reported engine trouble and returned to the airport after being in the air for a few minutes, an official said.

"We were told there was some problem with an engine and the pilots decided to turn back," an airport spokesman said. "The aircraft is being checked and the passengers have been moved to hotels." ...Apparently five hours later they decided to retry a take-off... which ended in the second emergency landing.

There was no immediate comment from the airline.

(AFP)

Thai Airways president says emergency landing in Sri Lanka came from smoke in cargo compartment

The president of Thai Airways has revealed that the emergency landing conducted by one of the company's aircraft at the Sri Lanka international airport was due to smoke coming out of the cargo area.

Flg. Off. Apinan Sumanaseni said the Airbus A-330 carrying 225 crewmen on board the flight from Colombo bound for Bangkok had to land at the Bandaranaike airport after the aircraft's system reported smoke in the cargo area. The pilots had used fire extinguishers to put out the fire, and landed after everything had returned to normal in order to carry out inspection.

All passengers and crew were safe, and all passengers have now arrived in Thailand through flight re-arrangements.

http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=175126

-------------------------------

Hmmm.... no mention of the second attempted take-off NOR the second emergency landing...

or that passengers "re-arrangements" involved all arriving on other airlines hours and hours later...

:o:D

"225 crewmen" ... surely he means paying-passengers ? I mean, we know TG is over-staffed, but ... :o

Hope that they got their airmiles ! :D

And well done to the flight-crew, for keeping their cool & following their training, yet again, as with the Nok Air incident at Don Muang recently.

Thai Airways president says emergency landing in Sri Lanka came from smoke in cargo compartment

SMOKE in the cargo compartment?........................so thats all right then is..it :D

The pilots had used fire extinguishers to put out the fire, and landed after everything had returned to normal in order to carry out inspection.

Can you adam and eve it...... :D

Imagine...The pilots running around in the cargo hold (assume the AIRBUS was on autopilot) with fire extinguishers looking for somebody half way through a packet of woodbines...but then not too long afterwards they took off again..

...AFTER HAVING A FIRE?... :D

and ....

... then they decided to retry a take-off... and had a second emergency landing :o

is this another case of NOT losing face?

k.wife flew out from London yestereday TG)....just as well she didnt know about this........

A usually half-assed story. We'll probably never know the real story but my guess is an engine malfunction. They got the warning already, were too dumb or stupid to take it serious and solve the problem, in usual Thai style they go "mai bpen rai" and went for it again. :o

This bears an uncanny resemblance to the experience some of my family had on a return Phuket Air Flight to LGW where the engine caught fire and they had to make an emergency landing backin BKK. (Jan 2005)

They posted a comment on www.airlinequality.com passenger forum at the time as follows:

My friend and I were on the 14th January flight from Bangkok to Gatwick, when the engine caught fire and we had to land back at Bangkok. What a total nightmare! I would urge anyone thinking of using Phuket Airlines to go with a reputable carrier, and to avoid flying with them. Phuket Airlines in my opinion are a total shambles. Once we had landed back at Bangkok Airport there was no organisation, no explanations, just total chaos. None of the staff had a clue what was going on and how to handle the situation. We heard stories from other passengers about problems they had experienced on the way out as well, mechanical problems, very long delays etc. They are just not equiped to deal with big international flights. The reason they are so cheap is because they are so crap! The planes are very old and have definitely seen better days. Don't risk it, pay the extra to fly with a decent airline is my advice, you will feel safer and more confident and you will get much better service. We spent out £400 on a new return ticket as we were not prepared to fly back with them to London the following day. 13 hours is a long time to sit and worry whether their old plane will make it or not. I know alot of other people on our original flight bought new tickets as well, some were on our Thai Airways flight back to Heathrow. My friend has since contacted Phuket Airlines here in the UK to take the matter further but surprisingly they aren't being very helpful - Phuket Airlines - bunch of cowboys in my opinion.

So are TG really any better>??? :o

A usually half-assed story. We'll probably never know the real story but my guess is an engine malfunction. They got the warning already, were too dumb or stupid to take it serious and solve the problem, in usual Thai style they go "mai bpen rai" and went for it again. :o

I agree.

Every now and then when I am flying Thai, I think of how they Thais tend to panic at times.I then start thinking about their work and wonder if the many hours of training would stop somebody from panicking . :D I then normally call for another double scotch! :D

Because of the avatar, I always end up with Jack Nicholson voice readinng your posts. Quite funny! :D

This bears an uncanny resemblance to the experience some of my family had on a return Phuket Air Flight to LGW where the engine caught fire and they had to make an emergency landing backin BKK. (Jan 2005)

Had a similar one on the way back from the Phillippines via KL. :o

About 10 minutes after take off on the 747 (and after only 1 beer )I asked the air hostess if there was a problem with one of the engines since it appeared to be on fire.....

Being a bit mutt and jeff I also suggested that there were some "funny noises" as well....could see my chance of another lager disappearing quick..

Anyway it was obvious from her expression that maybe she had an idea and following a nod of understanding ....ran off screaming and shouting...No only joking ...she was very calm but didnt need any of that whitening cream that all the lassies like to put on their faces. :D

Few minutes later the captain was on the blower ... said sorry...wee problem,have to dump the fuel(200 tons. :D ) and gotta go back to KL.....

Like in all the good films we then dived from 40,000 feet down to about 500 at about a 1000 miles an hour to douse the flames and then quietly landed back in Malaysia.

500 semi bed raggled passengers slung off a flight at one in the morning aint too pretty a site but after giving the crew a standing ovation.....slaps on the back etc we were all taken to the best hotel that I have ever stayed in KL which was located just opposite the Petrolinas Towers....

Never did get its name.......mini bar took a beating......

In conclusion however it was...WELL done...MAL...... :D ...thanks....

One thing to keep in mind when flying any commercial airline is that the flight crew has many thousands of flight and simulator hours before they are ever allowed to carry passengers in a commercial jet. Commercial pilot licensing and requirements are very consistent all over the globe. Emergency procedures are practiced until they become reactionary and few pilots will panic in an emergency situation even if it is one that has never been simulated.