Chiang Mai water unsafe for Songkran

khwaibah

An absurd article created to keep everyone from having fun!

I ask you, what could possibly be wrong with the water?

attachicon.gif1962886_10151975365017113_1048450194_n.jpg

Get some of that in your eye or ear and you could be in big trouble!

Anyone have stats on the number of ear/eye infections during Songkran (assuming we can multiply it by a factor of 10)

An absurd article created to keep everyone from having fun!

I ask you, what could possibly be wrong with the water?

attachicon.gif1962886_10151975365017113_1048450194_n.jpg

Get some of that in your eye or ear and you could be in big trouble!

Anyone have stats on the number of ear/eye infections during Songkran (assuming we can multiply it by a factor of 10)

Well if its clean enough to snap one off in, then its clean enough for me! crazy.gif

I'm there!

• Like 2

If you havent tried that very scenic route, walking moatside from top of Loi Kroh down to Thapae Gate, try it, after dark, and see how many very large and filthy rats you see emerging from their burrows/ nests or whatever next to the water. The same water which has presumably been urinated in by these disgustingly filthy horrible creatures!!!

Still, I suppose I m just a killjoy, it must be really fun to get eye infections from receiving filthy water in your face.....!

Every year there is a cleaning effort; no different this year. Let fresh water flow in, add lots of chlorine, etc.

We'll have reasonable water again this year.

But do keep your mouth shut, and your thumb firmly on the business-end of your beer bottle!

Is that actually fact? Do we have a reliable source that actually happens?

Not seen the moat emptied recently.

I am always a bit doubtful that it actually happens!

One of my Thai friends last year got an eye infection and looked liked she had done 3 rounds with Mike Tyson!

I'll still be there, but my mouth with be firmly shut especially if there are any d**khead westerners who think it's hilarious to chuck a bucket of water directly in your face at close range while I am negotiating traffic and people on the bike!

Don't get me wrong I love it and have been every year for years BUT there is always some p**ssed up (generally Western) t**t who has to go too far!

Edited by kjhbigv

Most likely a pollution item, the water should be fine as long as you don't get in your eyes or ingest it in any way. Buts that's with most everywhere in Thailand. Can only think now, a Thai corp has dumped some really bad crap in the water to put up a warning. Guess Songkran Chiang Mai is out this year.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Every year there is a cleaning effort; no different this year. Let fresh water flow in, add lots of chlorine, etc.

But do keep your mouth shut, and your thumb firmly on the business-end of your beer bottle!

Is that actually fact? Do we have a reliable source that actually happens?

Not seen the moat emptied recently.

I am always a bit doubtful that it actually happens!

One of my Thai friends last year got an eye infection and looked liked she had done 3 rounds with Mike Tyson!

Yes, eye and ear infections are common. Maybe she didn't drink enough alcohol as a preventative treatment. ;)

But anyway, they do add water, also to raise the water level so people can more easily access the water (and more easily climb out when they fall in). And I've seen the trucks. Maybe Dave2 will spot some on his rounds and can take a picture.

I am interested in this chlorine claim, as anyone that has raised fish knows, even small amounts are fatal. The level in tap water will kill fish. The moat is full of fish..... so if they add chlorine it must be a very small, symbolic act with no real affect on bacteria levels.