stopped bt the police, Warning/advice

Yes, posting a link to the video would greatly enhance the OP's "warning" and experience. Can't see any reason not to share it?

For the "gas cap" scam, who exactly puts the drugs in the gas-cap compartment? The gas-station attendant? Is the attendant in the employ of the Police? Seems way too complicated, couldn't the Police simply palm contraband into the compartment, after asking you to open it from inside the car?

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the attendant. He gets a cut of the take. Just like the tuk tuk driver who got my friend arrested.

Please do not post the video. It could get us into trouble. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have heard of these stop and searches but generally around Sukhumvit area. Most of the reports I heard about did seem to be legit searches i.e. they didn't ask for any money or anything but for some reason randomly stopped people

I'd be very suspicious too though. Think he did the right thing. Banglumphuu has a police station nearby. 2am though there are generally still a fair amount of people around Banglumphuu area, not heard of it happening down there but not too surprising. I am generally alone also but never had any of these searches

Just wondering were you carrying a small back pack/day pack type thing? Seems to happen to people carrying those a bit more than those not imo

• Like 1

There have been many, many, many threads/posts/links here on ThaiVisa to videos over the years which illustrate questionable Police activities.

Hard to figure how the OP's video, or at least a link to it, could be any more troublesome?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661541-bribespot-will-it-work/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583352-thailand-police-bribe-caught-on-video/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/520370-what-on-earth-is-going-on-with-the-police-in-bkk/#entry4925844

• Like 2

I thought I had signed out, but on going to Thai visa I noticed I hadn'tt, and was happy to see more supportive comments. I only posted this to potentially be of help.My recording was not very good as I could not properly balance the ipad ( cheap case, and I was rather nervous), it shows a sweeping image of the police station, the officers and my asking if they would mind if I recorded the search, they agreed. My ipad wouldn't stand properly, I tried to balance it on a book, but if failed. They assured me the station cameras worked, and in addition used their phone to record it. Thai visa have my email address and my number (I assume), if you want it posted agree to mute my voice and I am happy to forward it for you to show it, on the condition the doubters full names are revealed. Put your money were you mouth is doubters. If you agree to my conditions I will forward it. Make it legal Thai visa and show these people for what they are.

• Like 1

Just me, myself and my ipad.

I have heard of these stop and searches but generally around Sukhumvit area. Most of the reports I heard about did seem to be legit searches i.e. they didn't ask for any money or anything but for some reason randomly stopped people

I'd be very suspicious too though. Think he did the right thing. Banglumphuu has a police station nearby. 2am though there are generally still a fair amount of people around Banglumphuu area, not heard of it happening down there but not too surprising. I am generally alone also but never had any of these searches

Just wondering were you carrying a small back pack/day pack type thing? Seems to happen to people carrying those a bit more than those not imo

It is the attendant. He gets a cut of the take. Just like the tuk tuk driver who got my friend arrested.

Please do not post the video. It could get us into trouble. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not op related, but kudos to your signature and you should make it Thai relevant. Give a man a boat and he will drink somsang all day

Thank you.

my brother had similar experience in BKK. if you have nothing to hide you cooperate. i think OP did ok job.

and it's not because one can AFFORD a taxi that one is not allowed to use the bus (what a stupid comment, only on TV).

i can afford to fly everywhere but i rarely fly. ok na khap ?!

I thought I had signed out, but on going to Thai visa I noticed I hadn'tt, and was happy to see more supportive comments. I only posted this to potentially be of help.My recording was not very good as I could not properly balance the ipad ( cheap case, and I was rather nervous), it shows a sweeping image of the police station, the officers and my asking if they would mind if I recorded the search, they agreed. My ipad wouldn't stand properly, I tried to balance it on a book, but if failed. They assured me the station cameras worked, and in addition used their phone to record it. Thai visa have my email address and my number (I assume), if you want it posted agree to mute my voice and I am happy to forward it for you to show it, on the condition the doubters full names are revealed. Put your money were you mouth is doubters. If you agree to my conditions I will forward it. Make it legal Thai visa and show these people for what they are.

What is the purpose of having someones full name revealed ?

Most of the time they're just content to feel superior, just give in to them and you can get away with anything.

I got breath tested on Suk Sawat Rd, hadn't actually been drinking but came up over the limit anyway. I just kept my cool, respectfully said I hadn't been drinking and a good cop like him would double check, so he did it again and I miraculously passed.

Based on what I read here, the average farang would get into a self-righteous rage saying he wasn't drinking therefore didn't need to co-operate, etc, ending up fighting it in court and losing.

maybe they dont routinely plant drugs but i have heard so many stories

I hear many stories as well, and most of them are not true.

Police do not plant drugs.

If someone believed a small fraction of the stories here at the Farang Fantasy Factory no one would ever feel safe ... but oddly farang keep coming in greater numbers, many of whom keep coming back.

Every April Fool's Day they put together some implausible story here at Thai Visa. It's a bit like tossing a bunch of bananas into a cage of monkeys. Hundreds of our most gullible members swollen them hook, line and sinker.

1344836940327_4624504.png

What's really sad is that even more implausible stories are planted published here every day and the reality-challenged believe them without hesitation.

Most of the time they're just content to feel superior, just give in to them and you can get away with anything.

I got breath tested on Suk Sawat Rd, hadn't actually been drinking but came up over the limit anyway. I just kept my cool, respectfully said I hadn't been drinking and a good cop like him would double check, so he did it again and I miraculously passed.

Based on what I read here, the average farang would get into a self-righteous rage saying he wasn't drinking therefore didn't need to co-operate, etc, ending up fighting it in court and losing.

You seemed quite reasonable, if a bit condescending, up to the sentence that began ...

"Based on what I read here ..."

If you're basing anything on what you read here, I may have some devastating news for you regarding Santa, the Easter bunny and Superman.

Edited by Suradit69

Have to admit I'm sick and tired of being stopped and searched. I always keep it civil and polite, but it's especially tedious when you're in a taxi and trying to get somewhere and they do the whole 'lifting up the taxi seat' search thing. I don't even think appearance has anything to do with it as I'm always well presented and, let's face it, fairly handsome.

Best one ever was when I was going to watch some football. Police wanted to know where I was going. I said "um... some sports bar.." as I couldn't remember the name. Policeman demands I write down the name of the pub. So I wrote down "Some sports bar." He looks at the paper for a long time and then says "Oh yes, yes, I know this place." rolleyes.gif

I've not been shaken down for any money or had any horror stories- they've always been polite. But I do carry a small plastic wrap of hair gel in my wallet. (Yeah, I know... but it gets hot and with air con... sometimes the hair needs some extra help during the evening...). Whenever police find it they always act with glee as they think they've found drugs, only for their glee to turn to disgust / ridicule as they find out the stupid farang is carrying around emergency hair gel.

smile.png

• Like 2

If someone believed a small fraction of the stories here at the Farang Fantasy Factory no one would ever feel safe ... but oddly farang keep coming in greater numbers, many of whom keep coming back.

Every April Fool's Day they put together some implausible story here at Thai Visa. It's a bit like tossing a bunch of bananas into a cage of monkeys. Hundreds of our most gullible members swollen them hook, line and sinker.

1344836940327_4624504.png

What's really sad is that even more implausible stories are planted published here every day and the reality-challenged believe them without hesitation.

You seemed quite reasonable, if a bit condescending, up to the sentence that began ...

"Based on what I read here ..."

If you're basing anything on what you read here, I may have some devastating news for you regarding Santa, the Easter bunny and Superman.

Wow another insightful defense of all things Thai.... Zzzzz... I would suggest your temporarily leave your world of delusion and denial, and if you have any Thai friends, ask them how they

feel about the Thai " police".....

• Like 2

Must be a recent transfer from thonglor station...they invented it.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A job well done! be polite, be firm and look them in the eyes and you will usually make out alright. if you had been timid, they would have found some reason to relieve you of some of your "baht" you can't be to careful with tghe police especially since most of them are corrupt. they tipes their hand when they said they were searching you for "bombs" unless you are an arab or look like a muslim!

Wrong...... They sell drugs, and would plant drugs if it suited them.

Nobody understood the black humor.....

Doesn't grow well in your pockets.....

Edited by sirchai

Damn you are naive. It's the Police running the bloody drug business in Thailand. Wake up.

Tywais, on 05 Apr 2014 - 15:38, said:
OMGImInPattaya, on 05 Apr 2014 - 15:35, said:

Probably not even cops...just Somchai and his best friend trying to shakedown a newbie farang or tourist for some drinking money.

So I guess a fake police station they went to. smile.png

You should catch up on the Phuket story regarding police and dive companies. The police, I think captain, said the "alleged" police must be fakes, but hey, they used his police station.

Yeah, it was really necessary. Considering how ludicrously cheap taxis are in BKK compared to almost any other major city in the world, who in their "right mind" would take one of this city's decrepit, crappy buses to anywhere unless the additional 20 baht that a taxi would cost really matters to your pocket? Answer: One of the thousands of "English teachers" who think they're "living the dream" in Thailand and making their family and friends back home jealous because they're making a whopping 25,000 baht a month and living in an 8,000 baht a month shoebox. I see these "English teachers" everywhere with their sweaty and unhealthy appearance and $200 polyester "suits" and $10 shirts. They'd be "on the dole" in their home country, so to be fair at least it's one small step up from that for them.

It all depends on where you are going and at what time, actually, and how many people you are going with. Since I am usually in BKK with my wife, buses don't really tend to save us much money so we usually take taxis. But, when I am there on my own, I sometimes grab a bus if I know the route and the traffic isn't bad and it isn't rush hour. Some of the buses are actually not bad at all. Really, it's a matter of knowing the city and what connections are where.

Of course, I don't live or work there, so when I take a bus, I am not in a hurry or anything.

I haven't ever been randomly stopped in BKK, but I have had taxis ask me to sit low in my seat as we passed a checkpoint so the police couldn't see me through the window. They told my wife the police were more likely to stop them if they spotted me, so I just put my head down on my bag and took a short nap.

Edited by dao16

Only part I find strange here is that they let you video it. I tried to video them stopping bikes, mine included, on Shukimvit. They came a bit unglued. They actually had a table set up like it was the police station and were doing the fines right there. Don't get me wrong. I would rather pay the fine right there and then. But the whole thing stinks of corruption so for them to get pissed that they might wind up on youtube again kind of messed my day up. They want to plant drugs on you i do not think you setting up an ipad will stop em. They just say it fell out of your pocket back there on the street as you were pulling your neat little toy out and it is their word against yours. Who wins that? Be polite but do let them know you are not a sucker.

<deleted> you are naive. It's the Police running the bloody drug business in Thailand. Wake up.

Of course. Why would the police turn their backs on the most lucrative business in the world ??

Well except for gambling, oh wait they have that covered too..... :-)

I give up. I have nothing to prove I just tried to give a little advice.

Show me a bts station near ko lanta pizza banglampoo.

Excuse me for trying to offer a little help and insight into what happened to me. If it was 2 in the morning I would understand your deluded offensive comments as alcohol induced, but as it's 3pm then ???

I have nothing to prove, and certainly nothing to gain and no interest in responding to pathetic challenges and accusations. Over and out.

Don't let the negative comments...discourage you from future posts...there are folks that do not believe anyone and trash most every post...so do not take it personally...

You are joking! They don't just extort money as a bribe when they stop your car.