Office Int. Servers Working 24/7 Or Only During Off. Hours?

persianpower

office int. servers working 24/7 or only during off. hours?

How can i check to see how often the internet server linked to my laptop is connected and turned on?

I use my laptop at work to download various types of files. I have a feeling my office shuts off the servers everytime they close shop. My question is how can I test my theory? I ask because I often have large files in queue (and I don't know whether the internet is connected 24/7 or only during office hours). Obviously, I'd prefer the server to be operable 24/7 so I can maximize download time, but without asking the boss (obviously), how can I test it "technically"?

You could ping the server at a time you suspect it of being down, for example at 3 a.m. at server location. If it is down, you will get a message indicating that the server could not be found:

post-21260-1149690809_thumb.jpg

---------------

Maestro

You could ping the server at a time you suspect it of being down, for example at 3 a.m. at server location. If it is down, you will get a message indicating that the server could not be found:

---------------

Maestro

My system at home is up 24/7, and I bet you would not be able to ping it. Go ahead, try!

Maestro, on a simple setup, your ping test may work, however with a proper firewall setup, pinging should not return a reply, thus masking the fact that there is even a server there.

OP - what kind of systems do you have at your office?

---------------

Maestro

My system at home is up 24/7, and I bet you would not be able to ping it. Go ahead, try!

Maestro, on a simple setup, your ping test may work, however with a proper firewall setup, pinging should not return a reply, thus masking the fact that there is even a server there.

OP - what kind of systems do you have at your office?

Maestro, actually I may be wrong with my assumptions. But I know there is a way to prevent someone from getting replies to a ping.

Maestro, actually I may be wrong with my assumptions. But I know there is a way to prevent someone from getting replies to a ping.
A ping to servers that I should hope have good firewalls – banks, for example (ameritrade.com, etrade.com, ubs.com) – give “Request timed out” or “Destination net unreachable” on some lines, but not “could not find host”, and the ping as whole gets completed but without stating the time.

I am sure there must be a way to thwart a ping completely, but I guess the average company does not bother.

--------------

Maestro

Pings are usually enabled on Intranets.

It gives suport staff an easy way of checking when a pc or server is accessible.

Pings from outside can be disabled.

However, I turned off the parameter for outside pings and found I was being logged off by my ISP every minute or so.

They ping my network router to see if I am still active and disconnect if there is no response!! :o

Either you can connect to the server to start your download or not. If you can't connect to it at all and get a message to the effect that it cannot be found and that happens just about every night - then the odds are it has been shut down. Now I don't know why anyone would do that - usually you don't shut down servers routinely. For one thing, they usually have maintenance functions - backups, updating antivirus, etc. to do both inside and outside of office hours. If it is also a mail server then for sure no admin is going to shut it down every night.

Regarding PING, many admins disallow a retrurn from PING but if it does return one during the day but not at night, then that does indicate it is being shut down.

Peter

office int. servers working 24/7 or only during off. hours?

How can i check to see how often the internet server linked to my laptop is connected and turned on?

I use my laptop at work to download various types of files. I have a feeling my office shuts off the servers everytime they close shop. My question is how can I test my theory? I ask because I often have large files in queue (and I don't know whether the internet is connected 24/7 or only during office hours). Obviously, I'd prefer the server to be operable 24/7 so I can maximize download time, but without asking the boss (obviously), how can I test it "technically"?