Chiang Mai Neighbourhoods

Due East

Hi, I'm planning to move to Chiang Mai, initially staying in temporary housing while I look around. Can anyone give any general overview on characteristics of various sections of Chiang Mai, or any specific recommendations on good neighbourhoods to check out? Everyone is looking for something different in selecting an area of town, but my story is: won't have car so would like to be close in or at least convenient by public transport, near services/shops/entertainment (but I'm not a bar hopper), and would like a pleasant simple leafy area with neighborhood charm and personality, not a western style sub-division for families (I'm single), though also without standing out as the only farang around. Any ideas?? Also, any suggestions for short term housing (ideally month to month), not requiring a long lease obligation? If so, thanks.

Hi, I'm planning to move to Chiang Mai, initially staying in temporary housing while I look around. Can anyone give any general overview on characteristics of various sections of Chiang Mai, or any specific recommendations on good neighbourhoods to check out? Everyone is looking for something different in selecting an area of town, but my story is: won't have car so would like to be close in or at least convenient by public transport, near services/shops/entertainment (but I'm not a bar hopper), and would like a pleasant simple leafy area with neighborhood charm and personality, not a western style sub-division for families (I'm single), though also without standing out as the only farang around. Any ideas?? Also, any suggestions for short term housing (ideally month to month), not requiring a long lease obligation? If so, thanks.

I think that you would like the Nimmaheiman area of Chiang Mai. There are farang around this area - but not really too many - there is a good selection of restaurants and a few good shops, there is a gym, various nightclubs and bars - it is also quite close to Doi Suthep. There are condos around for rent - I think you could get a place from around 5000 per month. There are also plenty of Songtaews and is quite close to a bus route too.

I think that you would like the Nimmaheiman area of Chiang Mai. There are farang around this area - but not really too many - there is a good selection of restaurants and a few good shops, there is a gym, various nightclubs and bars - it is also quite close to Doi Suthep. There are condos around for rent - I think you could get a place from around 5000 per month. There are also plenty of Songtaews and is quite close to a bus route too.

Yes. :o

... and while you're looking for a more permanent place, you might want a furnished, centrally located place (near the center of the square inside the moats) you can rent on a weekly or monthly basis. From July 1. we might have a vacancy - or we might not. PM me if you're interested.

Agreed.

Hillside 4 would be a good condo n this location... Rents are about 12k a month

Jeez. 12K is what I pay for a 40sq.m condo in central Bangkok with free UBC. How big are these places?

Just done a quick check on a couple of condos for rent in Chiangers (in this case Hillside 2)and this is more like the as per usual....(no connection)

:o

Hillside 2, view of Suthep, studio, fully furnished, rent at 5,500 baht per month or sale 600,000 baht...happy hunting.....

Agreed.

Hillside 4 would be a good condo n this location... Rents are about 12k a month

Jeez. 12K is what I pay for a 40sq.m condo in central Bangkok with free UBC. How big are these places?

Just done a quick check on a couple of condos for rent in Chiangers (in this case Hillside 2)and this is more like the as per usual....(no connection)

:o

Hillside 2, view of Suthep, studio, fully furnished, rent at 5,500 baht per month or sale 600,000 baht...happy hunting.....

You can easily find a condo with aircon and cable for around 2500 to

3500 in the city. Look around the area between Central on Huay

Kaew and Nimmanhemin. Most of the cheap places are 99%

Thai occupied but have no problem renting to foreigners, that said -

if you don't speak Thai you'd be advised to bring along a translator to help

you get the best price. The 2500 to 3500 baht price-range assumes

you'll be staying about 6 months. Plenty of the mid-range tourist places

within the old city will also do you a 3000B a month deal (Cable and Aircon)

if you stay 3 months or longer.

... can't imagine provision of cable-content and aircon-power are included in those prices ...

Edited by rishi

... can't imagine provision of cable-content and aircon-power are included in those prices ...

I spent 6 months in NP Apartments, behind Mandalay. Newish building, about 1 year old now.

Air con room, Cable included at 3000 baht a month. I believe it''s now gone up to 3500 for

farang, still 3000 for Thai, minimum 3 months. Course when I say aircon included I only

mean the machine, I'm not including the price of actually using it.

I spent another 3 months in a condo near Central, Huay Kaew, first Soi on the

right after the garage as you go towards the mountain. 40 sq M with aircon

2,500/month, cable 200B/month extra. There are quite a few places like that in Chiang Mai,

you just need to choose an area you'd like to live in and check out places in person.