Debt-ridden Thai Airways to 'cut 5,000 staff'

webfact

My Thai colleague is married to someone working at THAI.

Don't know what exactly he does there, would think lower management.

She, and her husband, flew for free to Japan few weeks ago.

And back.

And return flight to Europe at large discount last year.

That is common across all the industry. Free tickets can be awarded (within limits) with advance reservation, or employees can travel on free seats on an strict last second availability basis. It is basically no cost for the airline and never caused or contributed any airline to go bust. Mismanagement happens on much bigger things that are not visible to the public.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be surprised if THAI would be grounded in the nearer future and passengers will be stranded all over the world.

That show that you don't know much about the airline industry. First, THAI has only recently entered the negative side of balances, then, state-founded airlines can run at a loss for as many years the government decides it's needed to keep them. E.g Aerolonies Argentinas, nationalized due to huge losses in 2008, made bigger losses every year since then.

Exactly. Pretty much all national carriers seem to go broke periodically. Ridiculous situation, really...

Edited by cocopops

And back.

As far as I know that are privileges that employees from every airline in the world have.

And back.

As far as I know that are privileges that employees from every airline in the world have.

and it isnt like they can just hop on any flight and take a good seat either

Thai airlines is the first "known" victim of the current impasse

soon, many other businesses related to tourism will start reported massive losses, starting with hotels

what wont be reported are the restaurants, tour companies, taxi owners, and others dependent on tourists walking around spending thousands of baht,

Ordinay Thai's whose lives depend on the generosity of foreigners wil be hit hardest, fastest

I saw all this coming while I was there, reading the blantant obfuscating being done in the Bangkok Post, trying to downplay the falling numbers, long before the protests gained any traction,

the downturn was clear then, and becoming clear to those unsuspecting now,

wait until reality truly hits them

I hope they sink under all that black paint they've got stored in case of mishaps. I guess the 'painting crew' will be kept on though as the ultimate 'face savers' !

Why do people keep banging on about this? It's standard policy in the airline business.

before737after.jpg

Can see Thai on a similar trajectory as Gulf Air in Bahrain.

The beginning of the end of course was when the regional partners pulled out to go start their own airlines, and the mismanagement became more evident over the years, culminating when Parliament slammed the piggy bank shut in 2012/13, demanding reforms. Gulf had become a government welfare and a jobs programme.

Gulf's operating strategy is to merely curb losses and try to break even, with the occasional announcement that if X plan works, they expect to make a profit at some point in the future.

I say give Gulf and Thai a year or two operating funds then cut the apron strings. Sink or swim.

I'm flying Thai next week so no grounding please just yet. I know their fares are sometimes a bit more expensive, but I've always found them to be a good choice with pleasant and efficient staff. I have no idea about their management or the freebies, and they still win the economy class food prize most years.