The worst area of Bangkok is....

Grawburg

..where?

I'm voting for Khao San Road as the worst area in BKK. Hundreds of wanna be cool kids spending mom & dads money to walk around and wish they were hipsters. Their crappy attitudes rub off on already slimy touts yielding some of the rudest tuktuk drivers and vendors I've ever come across in Asia. There's a crowded obnoxionsness to the whole area aggrevated by taxi drivers who only charge 100B to get you home (ok, unless you walk a few blocks and speak Thai, but don't bother me I'm on a roll) No - I don't want a suit, or a wood frog, or a massage, or a glowing helicopter thingy and when I say kab khun krup you could at least acknowledge it...

Runners up = NaNa & Cowboy

Honorable mention = Siam BTS

Yeah Khao San Road is not interesting. Full of farang, feel like staying in home country with rubbish

Sent from my SM-T210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The surprising thing about KSR I find is the way certain venues are being taken over by Thais.

Recently I visited Mulligens pub KSR which was packed with customers. On looking round I couldn't see a single farang face. Lots of young Thai couples and groups enjoying the music!

• Like 1

I know a guy who's been to Bangkok three times. And the only place he's been is Khao San Road. It kind of blows my mind- he's got no interest in seeing anything else in the city though, for him Khao San is the authentic Bkk experience. Fair enough if that's what you like, but wouldn't you be just a tiny bit curious about what else is out there in this massive, bustling city..?

Another friend went there and had his fortune told- the fortune teller used a quite clever little scam that David Blaine uses for one of his tricks as well (it involves writing something on a piece of paper and tearing it up) - anyway, my educated friend, whose job involved writing exam questions for thousands and thousands of students across the world, absolutely believed this. And paid the fortune teller a crazy sum of money (10,000 baht or more) for their services. And seemed baffled when the trick was explained to him, and it was pointed out that someone with genuine psychic powers probably wouldn't be plying their trade down a dirty side street in Khao San Road.

Anway... so yeah. I'm with the OP on this.

That fortune teller is Sikh? He has his son working the scam now. As if people are magic eh?

He has been there at least 25yrs.

Went to visit a friend in Pattaya few yrs back. I bumped into him and remarked he was taking a break from his magic show or changing venues and scouting new prospective market? That guy smiled ear to ear.

Yeah Khao San Road is not interesting. Full of farang, feel like staying in home country with rubbish

Sent from my SM-T210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The surprising thing about KSR I find is the way certain venues are being taken over by Thais.

Recently I visited Mulligens pub KSR which was packed with customers. On looking round I couldn't see a single farang face. Lots of young Thai couples and groups enjoying the music!

Lot of middle class/posh students there.

Although the band are excellent and I saw Tik Shiro jump up on stage and do a brilliant live version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwcDUGKvd30

When they asked the audience for requests - I mentioned a Thai song - they said they only sing in English! whistling.gif

RAZZ

I think KSR is better than 'the old days'

It used to just be those guesthouse cafes all with the same menu. Thai people weren't really that welcome or hanging out there

Nowadays it's definitely changed along with the clientele that frequent there. Teh kids these days aren't traveling their way around Asia they have credit cards and are booking things online ... against the 'travellers' credo that everyone claims to follow tongue.png

They have some decent hotels around there now, more actual, proper bars and clubs and younger Thai crowd that doesn't make it feel entirely like the ghetto it is

Of course a lot of farang there thinking they are doing something sooooo unique, walking around without shoes and talking about solving the world's problems but not as many as their used to be. 'Gap year' kids on extended breaks, 'getting mullered' a lot and farang teachers hanging out in the cheapest bars starting sentences with 'let me tell you something about the Thais' or 'the problem with Thais is ...' usually loud enough to want to bring you into the conversation when you'd rather stick forks in your leg!

Still some nice street food around Rambuttri and KSR itself is one of the worst places to be, Phra Arthit has some nice bars and eateries around the corner, young, Thai crowd again, Samsen can be interesting

I quite like it but if I lived in Bangkok permanently I'd not stay around there though, I think but far from how you describe although the actual khao san street itself is not the best bit of that little area

• Like 1

I had read there is A slum area in Bangkok,I forget the name of the area .Ya can google it.No it was not Kao San rd.

But I had read where this area is very bad and poor.

Lol "A slum area"

There are actually about a few dozen large slums areas in the BMA and hundreds of smaller ones.

its good the ks, if you want to people watch. now take your average road you'll see a motorbike pass and lots of cars, no people, ks has people all the time. also it is good for ego, I like the girls smiling at me

its good the ks, if you want to people watch. now take your average road you'll see a motorbike pass and lots of cars, no people, ks has people all the time. also it is good for ego, I like the girls smiling at me

They're not smiling at you. They're smiling at your wallet and your credit cards. One day when it's already too late, you'll realize that.

20 years ago KSR was very different, there were car's/tuktuk's driving in KSR. The road was much lower and i remember half a meter water on the road and in the bars after pouring rain. It was only one road then but now it is the whole neighbourhood where foreigners go.

I don't understand why they all want to be there. Only good thing is there are terraces where one can drink beer outside. Those streethawkers who sell the wooden frogs are there for more then 20 years now, somehow i also have one in my livingroom (who not).

Every year i visit KSR for a few hours, just walk around and eat some mexican or israelian food. This year i was looking for kebab but couldn't find it.

• 4 weeks later...