Would you stop and help someone who was hit by a bus?

arnold40844

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I had a motorcycle accident on the steep hill heading into Patong. We were thrown from the bike and were cut up on the sharp rocks at the side of the road. Not one car stopped to help us. It was very busy and our accident was witnessed by at least 20 cars. Nobody even slowed down! It was a very lonely feeling laying there with all the cars whizzing by us.

And because of that feeling, you would always stop and help someone now, I presume.

You know, I honestly don't know.

I know what I would do in a situation like this I have some experience. I was in a Gas station one time years ago. I saw an car slam into another car right in front of the station and I saw a kid in the back about 16 or so smash his head and he was holding it . I just lunged into action ran the to toilet and grabbed a ton of paper towels Ran to the car opened the door and handed the tissue to the kid.

He was bleeding from the head. I Told him to apply the towels to his head and use pressure . He complied. I said the ambulance was on the way and not worry that he would be fine. I told him head wounds always look worse then they are and for him to put his head back and try and relax until the ambulance came.

This was all done with adrenalin running in high gear. I did not think I just reacted . I can tell you I would do the same no matter what person I say have an accident . We have a moral obligation to help our fellow human being No excuses

Someone will have called the "Foundation" and /or the police. No different from any other country. If you don't know the numbers to call you could have done nothing.

Some of the larger 'democratic' countries in the western world have no law about helping those injured or in need of help. They are covered by law against litigation in case the ungrateful injured should decide to sue in the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada.

It's no surprise if there is no 'samaritan' law here.

I read recently where an injured person in the USA bled to death for over an hour before an ambulance was called. People did not want to get involved the police said.

The "gimme money" syndrome is one of the most disgusting things about modern life. They hadn't even found the wreckage of that MAS plane and the multi million $ law suit was in play.

I'm sure that in many cases, the deceased wasn't valued in life, but once a potential cash cow they somehow become really loved.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I teach Emergeny First Responder in Thailand and tell ALL my students to run the other direction any time you see an accident. Doesn't matter of the severity, under NO circumstances should you stop, trained medic or not. The BIB will get you involved and charge you with some trumped up charge making you, the farang, responsible one way or another. I've personally witnessed this. Just one of the reasons why Thailand is still a "developing" country.

I am actually quite shocked at that post.

In fact no, extremely shocked. The people that spread the myth (yes, myth) that if you stop to aid an inflicted person you will be held responsible for the injuries to said person is BS.

Go back 20 years or so, then yes, maybe, but not today.

You give someone the skills to perhaps save a life and then tell them 'under NO circumstances' to use those skills is, IMHO deplorable.

Nothing really more I can say to that.

Strangepost from him...to whom does he teach EFR to ?

He teaches nobody to use it....hilarious.

Not strange at all. One would use EFR on people one knows, ie family and friends. In fact, everyone should know first aid for use in the home.

However, "if you stop to aid an inflicted person you will be held responsible for the injuries to said person is BS." is sooooo incorrect. Try helping someone in Saudi and you'll soon find out just how wrong you are.

I'd only help in a country with Good Samaritan laws.

I've been several times witness of careless thais not helping fortuneless or disabled people, is the usual in the land, to tell the truth I think it's quite common in whole asia, I can't erase from my mind that video of that young girl stretched in the road and several cars passing over her

once a thai lame felt down couple of meters in front of me and I had to lift him alone, no one helped me, some people stops but they did not do anything, they just looking at me pluzzed, for a moment I felt like if I was doing something wrong

otherwise I perfectly understand those farangs who deceide do not help to avoid problems, because I am pretty sure they should help if they where in their countries

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I teach Emergeny First Responder in Thailand and tell ALL my students to run the other direction any time you see an accident. Doesn't matter of the severity, under NO circumstances should you stop, trained medic or not. The BIB will get you involved and charge you with some trumped up charge making you, the farang, responsible one way or another. I've personally witnessed this. Just one of the reasons why Thailand is still a "developing" country.

I am actually quite shocked at that post.

In fact no, extremely shocked. The people that spread the myth (yes, myth) that if you stop to aid an inflicted person you will be held responsible for the injuries to said person is BS.

Go back 20 years or so, then yes, maybe, but not today.

You give someone the skills to perhaps save a life and then tell them 'under NO circumstances' to use those skills is, IMHO deplorable.

Nothing really more I can say to that.

Strangepost from him...to whom does he teach EFR to ?

He teaches nobody to use it....hilarious.

Not strange at all. One would use EFR on people one knows, ie family and friends. In fact, everyone should know first aid for use in the home.

However, "if you stop to aid an inflicted person you will be held responsible for the injuries to said person is BS." is sooooo incorrect. Try helping someone in Saudi and you'll soon find out just how wrong you are.

I'd only help in a country with Good Samaritan laws.

I do understand the rules in Saudi and other middle eastern countries, but I understood the topic was about Thailand, If that is the case, and you are offering assistance rather than being involved in the accident, then I stick with my view that you will not be held responsible for your assistance.

The victim was a Thai, your wife is presumably a Thai. If she isn't going to help, why should you?

In Saudi, we were told to run away if we saw someone injured, as if they died it would be our fault ( it's complicated ).

What you could have done would have been to insist your wife called the police, in case no one else did.

Totally agree with you on that one, If you offer any assistance in Saudi then you are liable under Sharia law, walk the other way....fast

Can I ask Sheryl though....and I know you offer excellent advice many times Sheryl......you mention if the op had a car then you could ferry them to hospital, but is it not against medical practice to move an injured person? just inquiring, not criticising,

Regardswai2.gif

But we are not talking about one of the most primitive, insensitive, and callous nations on earth. We are not talking about Saudi here, where a 10th century sharia law is applied to everything. We are talking about a country that is at least making an attempt to live in the 21st century. You have got to give Thailand at least that much credit. I would have insisted that my girlfriend inquire to see if there was anything we could do to help. Just because the Thais are callous about another persons injury and misfortune, does not mean I have to live like that. I am always trying to influence my Thai girlfriend to adopt positive qualities from the west. She seems to appreciate it. She wants to improve as a person too. So, sometimes you have to say this is wrong. And stand your ground.

I used to work in Qatar where you are told in no uncertain terms never to get involved in giving first aid or CPR to strangers.

There is a train of thought that if you alert the medical services then as a rich farang you may well end up footing the bill. Don't know how true this is.

At school, I came upon a girl with a broken leg lying under a car. I regret not stopping and talking to her, distracting her from the pain and misery. At least trying.

I've helped some folks stand up and get off the road after accidents. But none had broken bones and I would ve concerned with internal injusries and making some tragic mistake. Still, speaking to the victim soothingly might help?

I would definitely have stopped and assisted her. Even if I was in a car I would have blocked the traffic so no one else could run over her and checked her out. If her injuries were too serious I would call for help and wait for the ambulance to arrive, or at least the Police so I could give a witness account of what happened to her. I would also have got the registration number of the bus and given that to the police. The poor woman could then claim expenses etc from the bus company who could afford it more than her even if they didn't have their bus insured.

You are right to feel guilty. Just because other locals were ignoring here you could have given them a lesson in common decency.

• Like 1

Its a personal thing. I would have tried to help, but I also work in the health industry, and understand crisis situations. Your previous experience, reaction to unpredictable events, and severity of the accident, and the presence of blood all play a part. As well as the reaction of bystanders. Sheryl is right - the herd mentality kicks in. But Thais are also quite fatalistic and have a curious reaction to life and death situations, which is usually not to get involved. I don't understand it. But don't let it get to you, as someone would have helped - eventually.