Chalerm says election to be staged in military barracks

webfact

Chalerm says election to be staged in military barracks

x4-29-2014-1-47-52-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg.p

BANGKOK: -- The Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) will coordinate with the military to stage election in military barracks as a means to pre-empt disruptions by anti-government protesters, said CAPO director Chalerm Yubamrung today (Tuesday).

He insisted that election was the only way to resolve the protracted political conflict and said that all the undemocratic means being proposed to settle the stalemate such as the invocation of Article 7 of the Constitution for an appointed prime minister were totally unacceptable.

He explained that the forthcoming election would lead to the creation of an interim government whose major task was to draw up a blueprint for national reform after which another election would be held.

The caretaker labour minister went on saying that he totally rejected the idea of the election of all provincial governors and that police officers with the rank of a commander must be directly answerable to local administrative bodies such as Tambon Administration Organisation.

Regarding the People’s Democratic Reform Committee’s planned mass protest, Chalerm said he would not do anything to stop the rally whether they should shift their protest site from Lumpini park to Ratchadamnoen Avenue.

He then challenged those who have been supportive of the PDRC from behind the scheme to come out in the open.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chalerm-says-election-staged-military-barracks/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-29

Ok Mr. Capo, you put the polls in the barracks - check. Then the protesters block all the roads leading to the barracks, check mate part deux.

You are thinking one step ahead of Mr Chalerm......But it shows how harmful ear medicine can be.

• Like 2

Wonder if he has cleared that with either the military or the EC or is it just an excess of ear medication talking ?

I think that the EC said that he was not going to discuss the arrangements to ensure the election was not disrupted. Ear medicine, trying to cause the election to fail or trying to push the army into a position; in any case not a wise statement..

Wonder if he has cleared that with either the military or the EC or is it just an excess of ear medication talking ?

I'm hoping the army clears him out of the way once and for all. He does nothing constructive; only destructive for society. Maybe his liver will give up one of these days..

One talking head is saying they want the arm out of civilian affaires, the other talking head is saying that they need to be move involved - meanwhile the empty head is deciding if she should be packing for a leaders meeting ' <deleted>

He looks like he is hungover or is it just me?

No, you don't look hungover.

Let us all be grateful he didn't suggest police stations. Mind you perhaps 1/2 the violent "voters" might have not voted because of fear of outstanding arrest warrents,. Lets see if the trolls think I'm picking on someone?

Who the hell does this stupid little weasel think he is?

Even the cabinet can't order that... It is totally up to the EC to make that decision and as far as I am aware, he has not had a meeting with them to discuss it.

Even if they agree to have them in barracks and even police stations. That won't stop anyone from disrupting it... They all have gates and doorways and the protesters will simply block access and nobody is going to gun them down in cold blood are they?

You will never be able to stop people from disrupting elections if that is what they want and they are organized and have the numbers.

I would love to see then try that in the south, the amount of weapons down there and the sentiment between the people and the army/police.

This guy is twisted in the head.

• Like 1

Who the hell does this stupid little weasel think he is?

Even the cabinet can't order that... It is totally up to the EC to make that decision and as far as I am aware, he has not had a meeting with them to discuss it.

Even if they agree to have them in barracks and even police stations. That won't stop anyone from disrupting it... They all have gates and doorways and the protesters will simply block access and nobody is going to gun them down in cold blood are they?

You will never be able to stop people from disrupting elections if that is what they want and they are organized and have the numbers.

I would love to see then try that in the south, the amount of weapons down there and the sentiment between the people and the army/police.

This guy is twisted in the head.

As far as I know the EC had meetings with the Army to discuss security issues before meeting the parties. At that time he refused to discuss what had been arranged because he did not want to give notice of the arrangements to anyone who might try and disrupt the election. That being the case Chalerm must take responsibility if his disclosures aid in the disruption of the election.

"The caretaker labour minister went on saying that he totally rejected the idea of the election of all provincial governors and that police officers with the rank of a commander must be directly answerable to local administrative bodies such as Tambon Administration Organisation."

Democracy, transparency and accountability - not on Chalerm's watch. These democratic proposals would take far too much out of the trough. Can't weaken "the party's" grip on central control. All these posts are the type PTP want their people in, no one else.

• Like 2

What does it mean to "stage election in military barracks" . Will every constituency be represented in the relatively few army barracks there are across the country? Will people have to travel so far to vote? Several constituencies per barrack?

Either Chalerm is talking incoherently or the Thai journalist responsible for this article can't express themselves properly in English. Based on past form, I'd say it's 50-50 as to which is the case this time.

Yes I read this part and just started laughing. You beat me to it.

BANGKOK: -- The Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) will coordinate with the military to stage election in military barracks as a means to pre-empt disruptions by anti-government protesters, said CAPO director Chalerm Yubamrung today (Tuesday).

He insisted that election was the only way to resolve the protracted political conflict and said that all the undemocratic means being proposed to settle the stalemate such as the invocation of Article 7 of the Constitution for an appointed prime minister were totally unacceptable.

How many military barracks are there in Bangkok and greater Bangkok. Would it be a three or four day election to allow time for all to vote.

He admits that using Article 7 could be used to appoint a Prime Minister can be done.

​He just say's it is unacceptable. He didn't mention who to probably himself and all the other crooked ear medicine swizzling users.burp.gifdrunk.gif I tried to enlarge it so we could read ear medicine on the bottles but my enlarger failed.

"The caretaker labour minister went on saying that he totally rejected the idea of the election of all provincial governors and that police officers with the rank of a commander must be directly answerable to local administrative bodies such as Tambon Administration Organisation."

Weren't PTP supposed to be in favour of democracy & voting & elections and such-like, this week ? wink.png

Or would this be a step too far, and threaten the existing power-structures, upon which the caretaker-Labour Minister & his chums rely ? whistling.gif

• Like 1