Need Help Buying a Wireless Router

bendshead

To me, buying a wireless router is an investment, and so I'm trying to make the best choice possible.

I'm looking at Asus and Linksys models, and I want to be sure that either one I decided on can be protected by warranty and serviced in Thailand. Do I need to buy from an "authorized dealer" here in Thailand, if there is such a thing? And if so, can you recommend where to go in Bangkok?

Or would I be able to buy the router in the U.S., and if something goes wrong I can do the RMA process here in Thailand?

Thanks much

You may want to tell us what you currently have and what you're trying to do.

• What's your current ISP and type of connection ( 3G, Cable, aDSL, FTTx, etc )
  • Currently have WiFi, want to ...extend? ...replace weak signal?
  • Current router not working, need ...what?

Hi Rich,

Well, my foremost concern is buying a router with a warranty that will be honored here in Thailand. I want to avoid an international RMA process should I have bought a lemon.

I have True ADSL 13/1 plan. The provisioned router/modem from True is a Zyxel P660HN-T1A. It works fine.

What I'd like to do is connect a router to it that is compatible with DDWRT and the Astrill VPN applet. Recommended spec is a Broadcom based model with a minimum of 8MB Flash RAM. I would also like the router to have USB connectivity for storage and preferably dual band. Linksys E-3200 fits the bill. I'm keen on this one but would settle for the Asus RTN16.

Again, I deviate. I really want to buy from a reputable seller and have understanding of the return / RMA terms. For example, I'd like to buy a router in U.S. to save a few bucks and have my buddy bring it over but if I do that and have a problem, I worry that it needs to be returned or RMA'd to U.S. Buying Thailand, I don't know where to buy; if I can return or RMA here. Would take some comfort in suggestions.

To clarify, by problem I mean a hardware deficiency. For example, the Asus RTN16 is notorious for blowing a capacitor -- sometimes within a year.

Thanks

Edited by bendshead

Maybe best to buy any unit here in Thailand, where you will get local warranty service/repair/replacement.

Here in Thailand, after seven (7) days you will be directed to the manufacturer's local repair agent.

Most networking kit here has a three (3) year warranty.

Where are you currently located? Can you visit IT shops nearby or will you have to order on-line?

I believe the RT N16 capacitor issue has been addressed in subsequent hardware revisions; hard to find a higher performing "home" unit than this one in that price range. But these are hard to find here as they sell out quite quickly; I brought one back with me from the U.S. on a recent trip. We have one currently running in a customer site and it seems to be doing well. It might actually be better than the more expensive LInksys unit you are considering, assuming you will run DDWRT.

preferably dual band

Note that this may be useless unless your custom firmware support 5 GHz.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3200

BECAREFUL: 5Ghz is not supported by DD-WRT, (May 16, 2013)

Edited by lomatopo

And if so, can you recommend where to go in Bangkok?

Sorry, just noticed this on a re-read.

There are quite a few specialized networking shops in both Fortune and Panthip; several have a presence in both.

This shop shows a five (5) year warranty for Linksys Asus networking gear here.

http://www.digiland.co.th/product-page.php?bid=41&view=1-2-1-11&setlang=TH

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks lomataop. Good stuff.

I haven't found any verification that the capacitor issue for the Asus RTN16 has been addressed, have you?

Also, still on the prowl for a recommended seller here in Thailand. Digiland is a dealer and won't sell direct to me.

I found the E3200 for B4500 and 1 year warranty at Fortune Town. I could save about B1700 buying it from the U.S. but then I'm still assuming I'm stuck with it (ie., it won't be warrantied here in Thailand)...

Also, still on the prowl for a recommended seller here in Thailand. Digiland is a dealer and won't sell direct to me.

A seller of what, exactly? Asus? Linksys?

Yes, Digiland is a Distributor, but you can contact them to see which retailers they supply.

You could also check with Asus/Thailand: http://www.asus.com/th/Networking/Wireless_Routers_Products/

You can also simply walk around Fortune Town; it is relatively easy to find the networking shops. The one I use exclusively is Zonelink (3P11, so the 3rd floor), but there are several other similar shops there.

FWIW, in the U.S., the Asus NT16 warranty is only two (2) years, and Newegg have a 30 day return policy.

Any unit purchased in the U.S. would have to be returned to the U.S. for warranty service/repair/replacement; hardly seems worth the 1,700 baht savings?

• Like 1

I bought a ZyXEL Gigabit wifi-N router here for 2500B. It works very well.

Personally I dont worry too much about the warranty as:

1) it's only 2500B

2) to get it to the service centre would surely require a long and tedious trip, or postal costs and general hassle

3) if it breaks I will have to buy another one to replace it whilst it's undergoing service/repair anyway

Anyone using 3BB gets a 4 LAN modem, and wifi, when they subscribe ..... works very well for me!

900 odd baht a month... unlimited and generally very good speed (! use for Television programs some times it works well) thumbsup.gif

EA4500, not cheap but good..

Tell me where did you get this in Thailand?? I was looking for this router model a good 2 weeks. Online and in many IT Stores in bangkok....no chance...

I'm sorry my mistake, I had to double check when you said you can't get them as I have bought several in Bangkok, Korat and Pattaya.

My model is in fact the EA3500 not EA4500..

Still a good unit, with dual band wifi.. and guest access etc..

My model is in fact the EA3500 not EA4500..

Still a good unit, with dual band wifi.. and guest access etc..

Meh. Pretty sure this model, and the EA4500, cannot run the custom firmware the OP desires because it has a crap Marvell processor. These units get really bad reviews re: performance and throughput.