If I Change Employer, Do I Need A New Visa?

I need some advice, perhaps a point to the right thread or answer straight up....

I currently work at an international school here in bangkok, and come september I will be working for another. My new employer has assumed I will be going home for the "summer" break and has sent me the documents that I would need if I were applying for a new Non Imm B visa in Melbourne. However I am not going home, and while I could do a quick trip to Singapore, Penang or somewhere, I was wondering if I had to leave at all? I've had (as have workmates in similar situations) conflicting information about this. Some say you must leave, others saying if both schools cooperate then there is no need to leave (by this I can only assume that my Non - Imm B will be transferred?)

Any info would be great!

I believe you are talking about an extension of stay of the one year type as a visa entry of 90 days would not be effected by loss of a job. You have 7 days to pack out after your work permit is canceled so believe if you can obtain the paperwork and submit application for new work permit for the new job before that time is over you can continue extending your current stay. But for a summer vacation that may be a problem if they expect you to continue being paid so it may require more work than just doing the new process. Hopefully those who have experience will chime in.

I believe you are talking about an extension of stay of the one year type as a visa entry of 90 days would not be effected by loss of a job. You have 7 days to pack out after your work permit is canceled so believe if you can obtain the paperwork and submit application for new work permit for the new job before that time is over you can continue extending your current stay. But for a summer vacation that may be a problem if they expect you to continue being paid so it may require more work than just doing the new process. Hopefully those who have experience will chime in.

Lopburi is correct, if this is a extension of stay based on business. You have 7 days to apply for the new work permit and new extension of stay based on business, with the new employer.

If this is a multiple entry visa ( one that you must leave the country every 90 days) than it is not affected by leaving the first school.

The fly in the ointment, if this is indeed a extension of stay based on businesses, the second school may not be same calabur as the first school, and may just promise to get you the work permit and or extension of stay based on business. You are told it was processed and it never was. Than it is you that has to pay the fine of 500 Baht per day overstay once you leave Thailand. Be sure if this is a extension, you see the receipt for the Work permit application from the Labor Dept and that you indeed went to Immigration within the 7 days to apply for the extension of stay.