Keep an eye on local quake fault line, disaster expert warns Phuket

webfact

In north Italy also often earthquakes

And now the build everything with safety very very exoensive

There must be red zones

And not rebuild on same place !

But like we see in the tsunami disaster

Also in red areas in Phuket

Etc resort was rebuild on same place again!

Some also never learn here from bad expirience and unable to accept a advice from others!

In 1998 Dr Smith predicted that Phuket and the Andaman Coast would at some stage suffer a quake-generated tsunami. His remarks sparked rumours that a tsunami was already on its way, and many promptly fled for the hills.

The then-governor of the island, Chadej Insawang, along with the entire tourism industry, were furious, and Dr Smith was relieved of his post in the Thai Meteorological Department.

When the tsunami did come, six years later, the then-Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, rehabilitated him and put him at the head of a scheme to erect disaster warning towers all along the coast.

All truth passes through three stages.

First, it is ridiculed.

Second, it is violently opposed.

Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mohandas Gandhi

All truth on Phuket passes through three stages.

First, it is identified.

Second, nothing is done about it.

Third, there is a press release saying everything has been fixed.

NKM biggrin.png

• Like 2

Cyclones, I am not an expert but I did not think we get Cyclones (South) or Hurricanes (North) until about +-10 degrees of the equator, most of Phuket is 7 degrees North.

Cyclones hurricanes and typhoons generally develop between 10 and 20 degrees north and south of the equator, where there is a shear effect. But they can move outside of this range, although I am not sure if this is common.

Will this affect Phuket property prices,

Well given the poor quality of many of the villas being thrown up around the island, i am sure if there was an earthquake there would be a property crash…..quite literally!

Although its all those multi-million dollar homes that hang off the sides of the cliffs along the west coast that should be worried…….especially the ones held up with slim concrete posts they call supports.

Bangkok is sinking, Phuket is prone to earthquakes (and tsunamis), Chiang Mai is choking in a sea of smoke.

They'll all be moving to Pattaya soon!

Not if they're smart. It's Gomorrah's turn next.