Thai PM Re-launches Controversial Anti-drug War

george

Thai PM re-launches controversial anti-drug war

BANGKOK: Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra renewed his war on drugs yesterday despite widespread criticism of last year's campaign, in which 2000 people were killed.

Thaksin, who declared victory after a 10-month campaign in December, said the new 90-day crackdown would target relapsed addicts, small-scale peddlers in Bangkok and other major cities, and wholesale traffickers along the border.

"This operation is re-launched not because drugs are rampant again, but it is launched when enemies are retreating," Thaksin told 300 drugs suppression officials.

"We must reinforce our attacks before they can recover and I am confident we will be able to contain them," he said.

Despite the government's self-proclaimed success last year, critics say the war did not make a significant dent in demand, particularly among young Thais.

The deaths of more than 2000 suspected traffickers and peddlers also caused an outcry from rights activists who accused police of acting outside the law, a charge the government denied, and they said on Monday they were afraid of a repetition.

"We agree with the prime minister's policy of taking on drug issues, but we don't want the implementation to be the same as last year," Jaran Ditapichai, a board member of the state-funded Human Rights Commission, said.

"We don't want to see more innocent people become victims of the operation, which is quite idealistic and unrealistic as long as police don't understand the general rights of the people."

Experts said last year's crackdown had an impact on supply, with the Bangkok price of a pill jumping to 300 (about $NZ1.50) to 400 baht from 60 to 80 baht a year earlier.

In its annual human rights report issued last month, the US State Department said Thailand's record "worsened with regard to extrajudicial killings" and arbitrary arrests last year.

"The government failed to investigate and prosecute vigorously those who committed such abuses, contributing to a climate of impunity," it said.

The Thai government formally protested against the report.

Thaksin shrugged off all the criticism on Monday, saying critics reserve their sympathy for officials killed or handicapped by drug dealers.

"Critics only focus on the death toll of bad people, rather than those officials who lost their lives for the public and the country. The criticisms are quite imbalanced."

The most popular drugs in Thailand are methamphetamines, known as "Ya Ba", or crazy drug, which have displaced heroin.

Metamphetamines are made for as little as 10 baht a pill in jungle laboratories in neighbouring Myanmar and smuggled across the border along remote mountainous trails.

Jaran said Thaksin's huge popularity could deteriorate if there were many more deaths in the new campaign.

"We've received a lot of complaints about arbitrary arrests and asset seizures of innocent people," he said.

"If these continue, his popularity, which rose very high during the last campaign, would sink significantly," he said.

--AP 2004-03-09

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

WAR ON DRUGS 2: Thaksin aims for knockout blow

Bangkok, 3 provinces targeted; no apologies for last year's campaign

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday relaunched the government's war on drugs, saying follow-up blows to what he described as a weakening problem will effectively rid the country of illegal drugs.

"Our efforts will eradicate any possibility for the scourge of drugs returning," Thaksin said at the relaunch ceremony.

The new round of the war on drugs will last until June 5.

Entertainment venues, apartments, condominiums, houses for rent, schools and congested communities in urban towns and border villages will be the prime targets in the new crackdown.

Thaksin singled out Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Chon Buri and Songkhla as provinces needing extra attention. He also described as "precarious" the drug situations under the jurisdiction of Lumpini, Thonglor and Khlong Toei police stations in the capital.

Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, who chairs the drug-eradication centre, said he had prescribed clear assignments to relevant authorities.

Police will keep watch at entertainment venues and petrol stations; the Education Ministry will take charge of schools; the Labour Ministry will monitor factories; the Interior and Social Development and Human Security ministries will watch over apartments, condominiums and houses for rent.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and municipalities will take charge of congested communities under their jurisdiction.

"Relevant authorities will re-X-ray the mentioned places," Chavalit said.

He said drug users would be sent to rehabilitation programmes and traffickers would have their assets seized. Thaksin said he had advised government officials to move cautiously to make sure all charges were based on strong evidence.

"Without concrete evidence, the unusually rich may face revenue or anti-money-laundering laws first," he added.

Dismissing local and international criticism of the high number of deaths from the initial war on drugs last year, Thaksin said critics should think more about those sacrificing their lives in the fight against drugs.

The premier also instructed Deputy Prime Minister Chaturon Chaisang to provide financial assistance to the children of officials and volunteers supporting the war on drugs.

The deaths of more than 2,000 suspected traffickers and peddlers during the drug crackdown last year caused an outcry from human-rights activists, who accused police of acting outside the law, a charge the government denied.

--The Nation 2004-03-09

I am 100% in support of PM Taksin in ridding ALL drug dealers, pushers, suppliers, supporters.

Just eliminate them "WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE!"

Maybe we need him to "train our anti-drug" people in the U.S. AS WELL.

I have no use for anyone in the drug business.

(Just one of my many inperfections)

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas USA

Visiting Thailand since 1971

"Without concrete evidence, the unusually rich may face revenue or anti-money-laundering laws first," he added.

Oh...let me think, who would I consider unusually rich in thailand???

:o

I wonder if this is a strategy to remove some of the obstacles to privatisation....

and can some one define for me "BAD" drugs and "GOOD" drugs...

I wonder how much pseudo ephidrine would have been in the cough mixture taskin took for his sore throat??

The problem is what about all the legal drugs?

Caffine, nicotine, wiskey, beer, coffee, msg, sugar, salt and the sort?

I think Toxin should eleminate these first as they are much easier to control!

No he and his buddies are making too much money with these (good ones) and the other drugs are screwing up his biz with too much competition if you as me!

I say really get rid of it all!

But no one will listen to this I suspect because you are all addicted!

I am 100% in support of PM Taksin in ridding ALL drug dealers, pushers, suppliers, supporters.

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas USA

So you're in favour of police murdering suspected drug dealers at will with no investigations, no trials and thousands of innocent people gunned down without justice. Believe it or not, even in Thailand there is a justice system. But Toxin cares little for it.

America locks up more people involved with drugs than any place on earth. 5% of the world's population and 30% of the world's prisoners I believe. AND WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO? At any rate, locking a guy up for life who gre marijuana plants in his basement isn't enough huh? He needs to be hunted down in the street and murdered.

May God help us all.

Guest timbee

the real question isn't whether drugs or drug pushers are good or bad ... of course they're bad and a scourge, etc. ... no, the real issue is that we should all share the concerns of people like HM, NGO's and hosts of other observers practically everywhere, that the enforcers of this uncontroversial policy do not themselves become controversial by taking on the wrong perpetrators, as they so evidently did in nearly 50% of the cases the last time around. so this time, when they catch an incontrovertible culprit, bring him/her to court and present the evidence to the court before meting out the sentence, death or imprisonment.

First of all- i am not defending drug dealers. lets get that straight- i am not defending drug dealers. But in civilized / democratic societies a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. as much as we dont like it, even the bali and 9/11 bombers have that right. this is not to give criminals an advantage- it is to protect law abiding citizens from the abuses of government. it protects us from living in a police state. so as much as we might not like it that drug dealers have a right to a trial, their right means that if you or a member of your family is accused of a crime, they too have a right to not be shot down in the middle of the street, they have the right to defend themselves in court. yes, drug dealers should be locked up, and if thailand wants to execute them after a trial, then thats up to the thai judicial system. but to give police the right to go our and commit summary executions because someone has been accused of being a dealer or addict, then where do you stop? ever heard of south american "death squads"? you want death squads roaming around the streets of thailand? what happens when they run out of drug dealers? two other points- first, thailand is getting a reputation of no longer being a democracy. second, when a politician is in trouble, an easy out is to pick on an easy target. it gets people's minds off bungled policies.

Its no coincidence that the U.S. sercurity adviser Tom Ridge is coming for a visit. DRug wars are just an excuse to take and deny rights to law abiding citicens. Are you under goverment watch because your neighbor thinks it cool to get high.? Are your child safe when some power freak govenment thug decides to start asinating people in front of your house? Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Be carefull!

[SIZE=14]Mr Bower do you any of the following?

Caffine, nicotine, wiskey, beer, coffee, msg, sugar, salt and the sort?

Then lets shoot your ass too!

Get rid of all the trash is what I say!

"I have no use for anyone in the drug business" either!

The above I am afraid are all drugs too that most people think are "food" I guess and can lead to harder ones for sure!

And drugs by the way my friend are also found abundantly in "drug stores" too.

"Drugs come from drug stores"

Get rid of it all and go back to nature![/size]

I say annihilate the lot (all the pushers, dealers, people with the money behind the business etc)

This of course will of course have a flow on effect and their will be a lot more hookers on the "open" game i.e. all the mia noi's and students who will no longer be enjoying the standard of living that they had grown accustomed to.

No man can support two or three minor wives on legitimate income here in the realm. Or most anywhere else for that matter.

As many drug pushers are stopped, there will still be the "Big" Boys" running loose as the "dark influences" are NEVER arrested. Most of them are making the laws and sitting in government positions such as politicians and police. You have to start at the top and work down to eradicate this problem

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas USA

:o ...Goes to show you can take a man outta texas but not the texas out of a man.

Thankfully, these short-sighted ideas will fade over time. Progressive effective drug management policy is on the horizon. Mr. Bower's breed is being replaced by people who actually have firsthand experience with drugs.....it's their experience and subsequent insight to the drug problem that will eventually effect government policy.

Absolutley every single person (in my generation 18-25yrs old currently) I've ever known has used or uses some form of illegal drug. Most are college students and originate from/destined to a high socio-economic area of society. Their power and sway is inevitable...however it'll be another 20 years before this happens.

So, B.T.S ,in about 20 years the world will be a better place,because we will have rulers who know the in's and out's of drugs!

Is it not the flower power generation that is on top now?

What do they bring us?

And by the way there are people of your age, who don't use(d) drugs.May be more that you think. :o

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas USA

You're in the wrong country then Kenny boy.

Maybe you can go for the try outs for the secret police.

Get OUT of the USA

Mr Vietnam :o

Who knows a country where a war on drugs was successful ?

Or a war on terror or poverty for that matter. I think war is the wrong word to use for efforts in these areas. Actually if you look up history on war it generally makes no positive difference. Starting wars against anything is a bad idea. Innocent suffer; the powerful get more powerful and at the end we are all left scratching our heads and wondering how our democratically elected (ignoring the US of course) leaders are so set on violence. There's an even more stupid idea, how about a war on violence? Kill all the bastards before they might one day kill you... oh wait a minute, that's what this war on terror is all about, right?

Yes, there is a legitimate case to be made for protecting civil rights, even of drug dealers. However, given lacksadaisical enforcement and the previous easy availability of drugs throughout Thailand, we must ask about the civil rights of the tens of thousands of children who get sucked into this huge ruined life and death for profit scheme. Frankly, sometimes we must balance the equities, and in this case, I believe Thaksin is doing the right thing.

So, B.T.S ,in about 20 years the world will be a better place,because we will have rulers who know the in's and out's of drugs!

Is it not the flower power generation that is on top now?

What do they bring us?

And by the way there are people of your age, who don't use(d) drugs.May be more that you think. :o

Yes. In regards to drug policy this will indeed be the case in 20 years.

You're "flower power generation" comment needs some direction:

That movement/culture was only the tip of the iceberg and was mainly based around 'weed' and hallucinogens. Today's drug problem is far more widespread and is sees much 'harder' drugs being used. Also, the 'hippies' are definitely not in charge now, sure some found economic success, but the vast majority are burnt-out losers.

Today's recreational users aren't 'dropping out' ..many are staying the course of higher education and will become 'pillars' of society.