International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's reports starting to come out that the Military Junta have banned the 3 fingered "Hunger Games style " salute.. hmmmmmm the right to protest now is being outlawed? Sounds a bit ominous, a bit silly, I guess you're not allowed to have an opinion that goes against the ruling body then? General Prayuth isn't messing around, that's for sure, and there's bound to be some condemnation that he seems to be suppressing public disent, I don't have an issue with those who use violent means to protest, but to stamp out the right to protest silently but with a gesture is a bit OTT.. but it's his rules, his train set and he can do what he wants, I have a funny feeling things are not all that rosy in the Military Gardens right now.

Well, strictly speaking you are allowed to have an opinion, but currently you are not allowed to voice it, or at least not all of it.

Mind you even in lots of other countries governments don't like you to express nonsense and others things freely. The only difference might be that in that case you'll be 'democratically' prosecuted.

• Like 1

The real reason that foreign governments are worrying is that in a month or so, everyone will want a Prayuth in charge and the facade of politician expertise will have been shattered in a giant iconiclasm

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nah, not many citizens on this planet like curfews, detainment without proper legal procedures and limited freedom of speech. Although for citizens in some countries this might actually be an improvement. Luckily the number of countries concerned isn't that big.

I think that given a world where drugs are out of control, gun crime is horrendous, political correctness rules, whacky immigration policies are screwing things up and youth cannot be brought into through discipline line that you'd be surprised.

Still waiting for any reform (s).................

Interesting that the BP mentioned yesterday that now the 2 trillion infrastructure project is back on again..............

Committees to get is started being formed. I'm afraid as foreigner you may not have got an invitation to provide input.

AS for the 2.2 trillion infrastructure project, for now it would seem those parts which would normally be in the National Budget, but had been taken out by the Yingluck administration are put back in again. Makes parliamentary scrutiny somewhat easier.

Anyway, I think by now we should rename the topic from "international alarm grows' into 'pro-Thaksin c.s. alarm grows'

• Like 1

Interesting that the BP mentioned yesterday that now the 2 trillion infrastructure project is back on again..............

Committees to get is started being formed. I'm afraid as foreigner you may not have got an invitation to provide input.

AS for the 2.2 trillion infrastructure project, for now it would seem those parts which would normally be in the National Budget, but had been taken out by the Yingluck administration are put back in again. Makes parliamentary scrutiny somewhat easier.

Anyway, I think by now we should rename the topic from "international alarm grows' into 'pro-Thaksin c.s. alarm grows'

Or hypocrisy grows has a nice ring to it. I suggest you read the other paper re the 2 trillion scheme.

Publicus post # 871

Actually Clouseau, the post # 864 is not my post.

Now please be truthful Publicus.

Your post # 864 was removed by the mods.

Yet again we see your talent concerning the distortion of the truth by yet another Shinwatra, Red Shirt supporter do we not..

The truth is a commodity unknown to the Shinwatra clan and its supporters as you so visibly demonstrate and we all well know.

There you go running off again only saying 10% of the full truth.

You know that my post that had been #864 was a reply to another poster. If you don't know that, then you're talking out of your arse hat and would need to hold your tongue.

The post of the other poster was reported. It subsequently was shit canned which meant my calm reply to it automatically went also.

My post going was secondary.

The primary action was Admin/Mod removing a post of another poster that was reported for being in blatant violation of forum rules.

So try to keep your tongue licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif where it already is. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

"PTP sponsored the UDD led riots in 2010"

and you know this because? There were attempts by the abhisit administration to investigate who was "sponsoring" the events of 2010 and try and link them to Thaksin let alone the PTP. No evidence was found but here you are categorically stating that the PTP were sponsors of what you call riots. I don't know about you but I find that to be a pack of lies - unless of course you are willing to show everybody your evidence?

A pack of lies? I know you like tangibles, but Thaksin c.s. are very good at "Amply Rich" constructions as you might know. If you don't mind waiting another 10 to 20 years, I may be allowed to provide those tangibles. Mind you a few UDD leaders referred to Thaksin, the renegade general She Daeng 'consulted' with Thaksin. Etc., etc. Plus of course Pheu Thai belongs to Thaksin. I guess you will disclaim that because I don't have a copy of the ownership documents at hand. Well, sorry about that, what was I thinking.

So, back to 'international alarm growing' with a few posters desperately trying to blame all but those who should be blamed.

You do know the the definition of sponsored - as one poster used to keep on saying, follow the money. Well they tried that, froze lot's of accounts and come up with exactly nothing.

I'll look forward to your next "everyone knows" accusation. Oh that didn't take long. - who should be blamed for the coup, rubl?

If we apply the reasoning from the 'Fabulous Four School of Logic" about 98% of all posts should be removed as being 'no proof', but 'a pack of lies'. The mod's will be busy then.

Anyway, how do you know 'they' tried that and 'came up with nothing'? Any proof to your statement?

Maybe you should stick to googling wooden houses to be able to suggest that proves somethingrolleyes.gif

The burden of proof is the obligation resting on someone to produce the evidence that will shift the conclusion away from the default position (the logical position) to one's own position.

​So we know, you know, UDD know, PTP know, DEM's know and the PTP deputy commerce minister Nattawut who is also a UDD leader that the UDD events were sponsored by the PTP. That is logical and so the burden of proof is on the UDD supporter to show proof that it is in fact not true.

Thaksin used this to great effect when he made one of his speeches to the red shirts. He claimed an NACC member asked for a bribe off thaksin in 1999 to get him off one of the cases against him. So the burden of proof is on thaksin to prove it right? According to thaksin that is not the case. The NACC scoffed at the suggestion thaksin made and thaksin never said anything about it again. He got the desired effect though. That was to plant a seed of doubt in the gullible supporters mind and also make thaksin look like a crusader of good because he refused to offer a bribe. Funny that he waited 14 years to release this nugget of information and instead of telling a lawyer or the police or anyone that could pursue the matter he tells 10 000 uneducated gullible supporters. The words "Burden of proof" is not in their linguistical repertoire.

You could equate this to an egg. If it fell of the bench one would assume it simply rolled off. That would be the logical conclusion. Another conclusion, however illogical is that it had free will (something UDD supporters don't have) and wanting to commit suicide so it leapt of the table screaming geronimo. Now the kicker is that we all know that it fell off so for anyone to suggest it did the later would need to provide proof. PTP logic however dictates that due to a political agenda it is in fact the illogical conclusion that is right and we we need to provide proof to show otherwise.

​When one sees over 20 PDRC supporters dead and 700 injured and they think that the red shirts had nothing to do with that then that is an illigocial conclusion. When one thinks the PTP didn't sponsor the events in 2010 that is an illogical conclusion. When one finds a weapons cache in Khon Kaen with an org chart that has the "overseas leader" at the top then the illogical conclusion is this has nothing to do with red shirts.

Geronimo!!!

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Or hypocrisy grows has a nice ring to it. I suggest you read the other paper re the 2 trillion scheme.

With international alarm diminishing, hypocrisy by certain members certainly grows.

AS for the 2.2 trillion Baht infrastructure loan / project, the 29th of May article only suggests an interest and 'under review'. I think I saw some a few days ago which I condensed in my previous reply.

So, alarm any one?

There's reports starting to come out that the Military Junta have banned the 3 fingered "Hunger Games style " salute.. hmmmmmm the right to protest now is being outlawed? Sounds a bit ominous, a bit silly, I guess you're not allowed to have an opinion that goes against the ruling body then? General Prayuth isn't messing around, that's for sure, and there's bound to be some condemnation that he seems to be suppressing public disent, I don't have an issue with those who use violent means to protest, but to stamp out the right to protest silently but with a gesture is a bit OTT.. but it's his rules, his train set and he can do what he wants, I have a funny feeling things are not all that rosy in the Military Gardens right now.

Well, strictly speaking you are allowed to have an opinion, but currently you are not allowed to voice it, or at least not all of it.

Mind you even in lots of other countries governments don't like you to express nonsense and others things freely. The only difference might be that in that case you'll be 'democratically' prosecuted.

My god. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

The real reason that foreign governments are worrying is that in a month or so, everyone will want a Prayuth in charge and the facade of politician expertise will have been shattered in a giant iconiclasm

Nah, not many citizens on this planet like curfews, detainment without proper legal procedures and limited freedom of speech. Although for citizens in some countries this might actually be an improvement. Luckily the number of countries concerned isn't that big.

Yeah, well, I don't like eating broccoli, but I know what's good for me!

Only in groups of 5 or more.

If we apply the reasoning from the 'Fabulous Four School of Logic" about 98% of all posts should be removed as being 'no proof', but 'a pack of lies'. The mod's will be busy then.

Anyway, how do you know 'they' tried that and 'came up with nothing'? Any proof to your statement?

Maybe you should stick to googling wooden houses to be able to suggest that proves somethingrolleyes.gif

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Thailand's military-backed government has frozen bank accounts belonging to wealthy suspected supporters of Bangkok's bloody insurrection, amid fears that the Red Shirts are plotting revenge after their bamboo barricades were crushed and 90 people died.

More than 80 prominent Thais were publicly named in a government-issued financial blacklist, alongside details of how much money they allegedly withdrew from their bank accounts during the failed two-month-long protests.Officials demanded explanations for the monetary transfers -- totalling an equivalent of millions of dollars -- and alleged that the cash enabled thousands of protesters to survive behind barricades in the heart of Bangkok.

"I insist that the government has never intended to persecute anyone," said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Sunday (June 20) after freezing the accounts.

One suspected Red Shirt leader, whose accounts were frozen, denied financing the protest and said her bank account showed large transfers because she sold her house and then withdrew some of the deposited money to pay for a factory.

The prime minister, however, remained wary.

"I still believe that there are attempts to financially support [the Red Shirts] by a network of supporters," Mr. Abhisit said.

The seven Red Shirt leaders on the list allegedly deposited large sums of money into their own accounts during September 2009 to May 2010, but information about withdrawals was described as "not available."

The seven Red leaders included three who were very outspoken during the protests: Veera Musikhapong, Kwanchai Praipana, and Weng Tojirakarn.

A handful of former police and military officers, plus several companies, round out the 83 names.

Companies on the list included S.C. Asset Corporation, P.T. Corporation, S.C.K. Estate, S.C. Office Park, and other Thai financial management services.

No evidence was made public linking any individuals' withdrawals to other people's deposits.No paper trail was offered to show where the withdrawals went.

The government, however, said the large sums involved were suspicious.

The immediate focus of the blacklist, however, appeared to be an attempt to link those names to the Reds' illegal barricading of central Bangkok, and take action against anyone found guilty of funding the siege.

"Was that money funding a terror attack?" said Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs, Suthep Thaugsuban.

"Those who are found to have supported terrorism will be prosecuted," Mr. Suthep warned.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1006/S00177.htm

Also

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/27/AR2010052705708.html and

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/05/19/business/Fresh-list-of-43-firms-individual-issued-by-CRES-30129712.html and this

http://asiancorrespondent.com/33982/are-these-the-red-shirt-funders/ and this

http://asiancorrespondent.com/34035/how-did-people-get-on-the-red-shirt-funding-list/

Now with all that activity you would have thought at least one link to "sponsoring terrorism" would have been found and the people responsible charged and tried in a court.

The result - no one has been charged with sponsoring the events of 2010, despite abhisit and sutheps posturings.

Maybe you should stick to subjects that you know about - at least that way you'll maybe have a better chance of winning an argument.

Apologies to northernjohn and others of the "hard of reading" fraternity.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

A bad idea only?

A sneakily modified amnesty bill which suddenly became a blanket amnesty bill including politically influenced criminal acts AND suddenly covering Thaksin's last two years in/out of office and the first two years of Yingluck administration? A Ms. Yingluck urging anti-government protesters to go home? A Ms. Yingluck saying "it's up to the senate, please go home"? A Ms. Yingluck leaving in to the Senate with the Senate speaker suddenly trying to get a quorum together days before planned? A Ms. Yingluck who with her fellow Pheu Thai MPs branded the anti-government protests as undemocratic, put the police on them, called then terrorists, etc., etc.

All because of a 'bad idea' only?

The coup was a response on the seven months of political bickering and a total lack of even a will to co-operate. Now with alarm only abroad, but a slowly back to normal situation in Thailand, finally we can really start to work on reforms and reconciliation. That is, all those in Thailand.

"A Ms. Yingluck who with her fellow Pheu Thai MPs branded the anti-government protests as undemocratic, put the police on them, called then terrorists, etc., etc."

You had no trouble at all with this approach in 2010. Just change the name of the PM and substitute "police" for "army". Why up in arms now?

A bad idea only?

A sneakily modified amnesty bill which suddenly became a blanket amnesty bill including politically influenced criminal acts AND suddenly covering Thaksin's last two years in/out of office and the first two years of Yingluck administration? A Ms. Yingluck urging anti-government protesters to go home? A Ms. Yingluck saying "it's up to the senate, please go home"? A Ms. Yingluck leaving in to the Senate with the Senate speaker suddenly trying to get a quorum together days before planned? A Ms. Yingluck who with her fellow Pheu Thai MPs branded the anti-government protests as undemocratic, put the police on them, called then terrorists, etc., etc.

All because of a 'bad idea' only?

The coup was a response on the seven months of political bickering and a total lack of even a will to co-operate. Now with alarm only abroad, but a slowly back to normal situation in Thailand, finally we can really start to work on reforms and reconciliation. That is, all those in Thailand.

"A Ms. Yingluck who with her fellow Pheu Thai MPs branded the anti-government protests as undemocratic, put the police on them, called then terrorists, etc., etc."

You had no trouble at all with this approach in 2010. Just change the name of the PM and substitute "police" for "army". Why up in arms now?

And substitute 'cowardly night attacks on anti-government protesters' for 'cowardly night attacks on non-red-shirts' you mean? 'Grenade lobbing fun on anti-government protesters' into 'grenade lobbing fun on multi-color shirts, army personel' ?

Anyway thanks for reminding us how different the two situations were.

• Like 2

Local international alarm seems to be lessening :

ASEAN will not intervene into Thailand's internal affairs

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Asean-will-not-intervene-into-Thailands-internal-a-30235361.html

This is a 100 year old policy so it's not news.

Try to keep up, thx.

I thought the ASEAN was going to slap the feudalist ammart in Thailand and reject the coup, I know because you said so.

You guys lost that thread decisively so I'd hoped you'd work on your comprehension and your feeble skills of argument, not to mention to lick your wounds, but I see now the damage is still ringing in your ears so here you are refighting a thread long gone.

Asean governments well know the most recent development means big trouble in and for this region for a long time to come. I'm afraid you're going to have to be patient cause things will take a while to organize and to implement.

In short, the matter is still open and it would be wildly immature to draw conclusions at this point of time or developments.

Lest we forget, this is how you guys misrepresented Asean at the thread:

JesseFrank, on 09 May 2014 - 09:58, said:

You want to know why the other ASEAN's still want to have to do with someone who is just convicted by a court.

I found a picture of the previous Asean meeting, I think Surapong is the one in the far left corner

alg_godfather_meeting.jpg

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724743-surapong-insists-he-is-still-deputy-pm-and-wants-to-attend-asean-summit/#entry7795376

Edited by Publicus

-- long list of quotes removed, see original post for that --

Now with all that activity you would have thought at least one link to "sponsoring terrorism" would have been found and the people responsible charged and tried in a court.

The result - no one has been charged with sponsoring the events of 2010, despite abhisit and sutheps posturings.

Maybe you should stick to subjects that you know about - at least that way you'll maybe have a better chance of winning an argument.

Rumour has it that around September/October 2010 when the regular bomb attacks in Bangkok stopped a deal was made with Thaksin. Totally unfounded of course as according to some Thaksin wasn't involved in the first place. It's pure coincidence that regularly people from Pheu Thai happened to bump into Thaksin while they were going along their legitimate business.

No prove, just like no prove (yet) to Thaksin's control over Pheu Thai and Yingluck government. Only the words of the master himself and probably some (wiki) leaked stuff.

Apologies to all for the weakness of these arguments, but lots of information is simply difficult to come by and probably only in one or two decades we'll get to know the finer details. At least we know from Thaksin himself that an answer like "who am I to do such" will follow much later by an admission that he was someone to do such. Like the failed 'peace down South' he brokered

And substitute 'cowardly night attacks on anti-government protesters' for 'cowardly night attacks on non-red-shirts' you mean? 'Grenade lobbing fun on anti-government protesters' into 'grenade lobbing fun on multi-color shirts, army personel' ?

Lest we forget, 96 dead 2000 plus wounded. - how different the two situations were indeed.

-- long list of quotes removed, see original post for that --

Rumour has it that around September/October 2010 when the regular bomb attacks in Bangkok stopped a deal was made with Thaksin. Totally unfounded of course as according to some Thaksin wasn't involved in the first place. It's pure coincidence that regularly people from Pheu Thai happened to bump into Thaksin while they were going along their legitimate business.

No prove, just like no prove (yet) to Thaksin's control over Pheu Thai and Yingluck government. Only the words of the master himself and probably some (wiki) leaked stuff.

Apologies to all for the weakness of these arguments, but lots of information is simply difficult to come by and probably only in one or two decades we'll get to know the finer details. At least we know from Thaksin himself that an answer like "who am I to do such" will follow much later by an admission that he was someone to do such. Like the failed 'peace down South' he brokered

Don't apologise for the weakness of your arguments, rubl, with your posts I'm used to it.

• Like 1

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Thailand's military-backed government has frozen bank accounts belonging to wealthy suspected supporters of Bangkok's bloody insurrection, amid fears that the Red Shirts are plotting revenge after their bamboo barricades were crushed and 90 people died.

More than 80 prominent Thais were publicly named in a government-issued financial blacklist, alongside details of how much money they allegedly withdrew from their bank accounts during the failed two-month-long protests.Officials demanded explanations for the monetary transfers -- totalling an equivalent of millions of dollars -- and alleged that the cash enabled thousands of protesters to survive behind barricades in the heart of Bangkok.

"I insist that the government has never intended to persecute anyone," said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Sunday (June 20) after freezing the accounts.

One suspected Red Shirt leader, whose accounts were frozen, denied financing the protest and said her bank account showed large transfers because she sold her house and then withdrew some of the deposited money to pay for a factory.

The prime minister, however, remained wary.

"I still believe that there are attempts to financially support [the Red Shirts] by a network of supporters," Mr. Abhisit said.

The seven Red Shirt leaders on the list allegedly deposited large sums of money into their own accounts during September 2009 to May 2010, but information about withdrawals was described as "not available."

The seven Red leaders included three who were very outspoken during the protests: Veera Musikhapong, Kwanchai Praipana, and Weng Tojirakarn.

A handful of former police and military officers, plus several companies, round out the 83 names.

Companies on the list included S.C. Asset Corporation, P.T. Corporation, S.C.K. Estate, S.C. Office Park, and other Thai financial management services.

No evidence was made public linking any individuals' withdrawals to other people's deposits.No paper trail was offered to show where the withdrawals went.

The government, however, said the large sums involved were suspicious.

The immediate focus of the blacklist, however, appeared to be an attempt to link those names to the Reds' illegal barricading of central Bangkok, and take action against anyone found guilty of funding the siege.

"Was that money funding a terror attack?" said Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs, Suthep Thaugsuban.

"Those who are found to have supported terrorism will be prosecuted," Mr. Suthep warned.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1006/S00177.htm

Also

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/27/AR2010052705708.html and

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/05/19/business/Fresh-list-of-43-firms-individual-issued-by-CRES-30129712.html and this

http://asiancorrespondent.com/33982/are-these-the-red-shirt-funders/ and this

http://asiancorrespondent.com/34035/how-did-people-get-on-the-red-shirt-funding-list/

........prosecuted on terrorism charges (you can google)

Nattawut co-organised the mass protests in 2009 and, together with the other UDD heads, led the "Red Shirts" in the fierce protests from March to May 2010 that led to the bloody military crackdowns of April and May.[2] Nattawut, Jatuporn Prompan and other Red-Shirt leaders surrendered themselves to police to prevent further bloodshed during the violent military crackdown on 19 May 2010.[4] Afterwards, Nattawut was prosecuted on terrorism charges.[2] He was released on bail terms on 22 February 2011.[5]

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

Lest we forget, 96 dead 2000 plus wounded. - how different the two situations were indeed.

and only because end of February 2010 a court ruled to confiscate 46 billion of Thaksin's ill gotten gains.

Anyway the international alarm seems to have been switched off except for a few TV posters who just go on and on about all those who will not see what they want them to see and believe.

PS 92 or 93 dead in 2010, thanks to armed militants mingling with peaceful protesters causing collateral damage. Thanks Thaksin.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

and only because end of February 2010 a court ruled to confiscate 46 billion of Thaksin's ill gotten gains.

Anyway the international alarm seems to have been switched off except for a few TV posters who just go on and on about all those who will not see what they want them to see and believe.

Exactly