Tiki torches?

jech0811

I've seen a few shops around town that sell tiki torches (including one on the lower level of Kad Suan Kaew, and several out on Hang Dong Rd.), but I've never seen citronella oil for sale anywhere.

All of the torches that I've seen are sold with empty metal canisters to hold the fuel, and when I've asked as to what type of fuel they are meant to contain, I've heard replies ranging from diesel fuel (!) to gasohol (!) to kerosene.

I haven't yet been able to work up the nerve required to verify whether any of those options would be advisable!

Has anyone come across citronella oil (or really.... any kind of lamp oil) around the city?

Don't take the advice of using kerosene, for heavens sake or you will have a homemade grenade.

I used to get mine from borsang ,the market area there, only 80bt for ones standing a metre high.

For fuel, simply use the cooking oil, straight from the bottle, the wick soaks it up lovely and gives a strong flame. When the wick is used up, just replace with a few threads of string plaited together.

Citronella is common, and I can't stand the sweet smell.....neither can the mossies so I guess that's why you want it outside.

You can buy the essential oil at spana and herb basics (ratviti and ratchamanka) will cost you around 250bt for 100ml OR for outside use go for the chemical copy for around 35bt for 60ml

Can get at world chemical and another both on mahidol rd just city side of the river, or union science on suthep rd.

If you get stuck pm me.

• Like 1

Don't take the advice of using kerosene, for heavens sake or you will have a homemade grenade.

I used to get mine from borsang ,the market area there, only 80bt for ones standing a metre high.

For fuel, simply use the cooking oil, straight from the bottle, the wick soaks it up lovely and gives a strong flame. When the wick is used up, just replace with a few threads of string plaited together.

Citronella is common, and I can't stand the sweet smell.....neither can the mossies so I guess that's why you want it outside.

You can buy the essential oil at spana and herb basics (ratviti and ratchamanka) will cost you around 250bt for 100ml OR for outside use go for the chemical copy for around 35bt for 60ml

Can get at world chemical and another both on mahidol rd just city side of the river, or union science on suthep rd.

If you get stuck pm me.

Thanks for that!

So I can just mix some essential oil (or a synthetic substitute) with what.... palm oil? I will certainly give that a go.

By the way, you can buy a kerosene lantern at Big C, if you have a use for one. It's just a metal canister sprouting a wick, which is surrounded by a glass globe.

Fill the canister with kerosene, light the wick and Robert is your mother's brother!

If you get stuck pm me.

Thanks for that!

So I can just mix some essential oil (or a synthetic substitute) with what.... palm oil? I will certainly give that a go.

By the way, you can buy a kerosene lantern at Big C, if you have a use for one. It's just a metal canister sprouting a wick, which is surrounded by a glass globe.

Fill the canister with kerosene, light the wick and Robert is your mother's brother!

palm oil works just fine. we have little lamps on the tables in the garden. we use palm oil. burns nicely. we bought a length of wick material about 9 years ago and still have some left. so the wick seems to last forever before you need to replace it and the spare materials seems that it doesn't rot. very cheap way to have outdoor light.

• Like 1

If you get stuck pm me.

Thanks for that!

palm oil works just fine. we have little lamps on the tables in the garden. we use palm oil. burns nicely. we bought a length of wick material about 9 years ago and still have some left. so the wick seems to last forever before you need to replace it and the spare materials seems that it doesn't rot. very cheap way to have outdoor light.

Excellent!

You don't happen to recall where you found your "wick material", do you?

The wick that comes with the tiki torches I'm familiar with looks to be tightly braided cotton. Is that what I should be looking for?

If you get stuck pm me.

Thanks for that!

Excellent!

You don't happen to recall where you found your "wick material", do you?

The wick that comes with the tiki torches I'm familiar with looks to be tightly braided cotton. Is that what I should be looking for?

9 years back is a tough one to recall i'm afraid...

yes, tightly braided cotton.