NCPO cites three reasons to explain to need for coup making: Winthai

Lite Beer

I think this man deliberately speaks poor English to obscure the fact that he is an idiot. I particularly like, "Democratic ruling in Thailand has caused a lot of lives." biggrin.png

Nothing like a coup to quash one's libido!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need an explanation for the coup because I am very very happy with the military coup.

However the explanation is satisfactory.

The pathetic Red comments are a sign that it's a good explanation

Obviously the Reds are suffering because their corrupt money supply has been cut off.

Now the Reds might have to work for a living instead of relying on lies and corruption.

Oh you mean like Suthep and his elite buddies worked so hard. Oh where is wonder boy by the way?, he's gone very quiet, slinked off back down his hole with his money I expect.

It really makes me laugh, all these bitter and twisted old ex pats slamming the reds for all the corruption when corruption was rife in Thailand long before Thaksin.

When all this is over, corruption will still be around in some fortm, thats Thailand and if and when the next election is held the reds will win.

It makes me laugh that dolts like you still believe that because something evil has persisted for a long time, and has become worse and worse in recent years, that it should be allowed to continue as if it is somehow a nostalgic right.

All our home country's were thus so, but change came - why deny this to Thailand?

For all you people getting hot under the collar about the military intervention, all I can say is that I feel this is better for Thailand than the previous administration which was not a democratically elected government as we would know in farangland: It was a dictatorship run via a proxy, something that would not have been tolerated in all the countries protesting the coup at the moment. For those idiots gathered at the Victory Monument: You should look further than the immediate coup... you should look to building a better Thailand and not allow Thaksin type dictatorship to control absolutely everything that goes on here for his own purposes. There was nothing good about any of his periods in power and many international organisations have condemned Thaksin's human rights record.

Pretty hazy reasons. But then again people are forgetting he is here to improve Thailand not to hold your hand and tuck you in bed at night. No time for coddling go back to your nanny countries if that is what you want. This gentleman is concerned with the greater good for all the people and has no time for your poor me he didn't call me and ask for my opinion. After explaining for two days the situation here in Thailand.

This is a time for action not baby sitting. If you are looking for a leader to babysit you he is in Dubai. But keep your hand over your wallet when around him. Maybe Yingluck will read you a good night story.

Yes, the time to act was now! Suthep's "final pushes" were losing credibility, the "people's counsel" idea never had credibility, people were tired of the chaos in Bangkok and, worst of all, Thailand was at serious risk of an election in July. Do you realize what that would have meant? Thailand would have been stuck with a democratic government with the credibility of a new election, there might not have been another chance for a coup in years!

I see pro-reds are here in numbers already scaremongering, ranting and complaining instead of actually thanking honourable general for rounding up the thieves and squeezing some money out of their secret accounts so the cheated farmers could be paid. It's early days. Give old fella some time. You might be surprised with the amount of money recovered.

Edited by Mackie
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It will be interesting to see how the many pro coup farangs ranting away on TV change their tune. Time will tell. The reasons given for the coup show just how out of touch these guys are with the international community.

And not just out of touch, for any one to sanction such an act is clearly not really funchioning too well, or they might be Russian. Bad democracy can always improve at the poll, Dictators only get worse.

Rubbish. Tell that to Zimbabwe and many of its ilk. Russia, you specifically chose to attack, also have elections and democracy by the way! Often it cannot be fixed at the poll as you say, and sometimes a country cannot survive waiting between polls when the government fails to follow the rule of law or the constitution.

Reasons for the coup (1 & 3 especially) are giving a very clear indication of the fact that they do not plan to hand back control to civilians until the civilians can be controlled to do the right thing. Appointed rule is here to stay for the foreseeable future.[/size]

I hope not. The civilians will not choose to do the right

thing for a long time. I reckon it will take two generations to educate them so they can figure out the rite from wrong. That is if the General starts them on the path to a decent education. He has much to do including as you can see ALL the past governments screw ups

I'm afraid a series of pre-emptive coups to prevent elections will teach Thais the wrong lessons.

Have you ever heard of a new democracy that did not have to climb a steep learning curve? Have you ever known of a series of coups to help a new democracy up the learning curve?

Pretty hazy reasons. But then again people are forgetting he is here to improve Thailand not to hold your hand and tuck you in bed at night. No time for coddling go back to your nanny countries if that is what you want. This gentleman is concerned with the greater good for all the people and has no time for your poor me he didn't call me and ask for my opinion. After explaining for two days the situation here in Thailand.

This is a time for action not baby sitting. If you are looking for a leader to babysit you he is in Dubai. But keep your hand over your wallet when around him. Maybe Yingluck will read you a good night story.

Yes, the time to act was now! Suthep's "final pushes" were losing credibility, the "people's counsel" idea never had credibility, people were tired of the chaos in Bangkok and, worst of all, Thailand was at serious risk of an election in July. Do you realize what that would have meant? Thailand would have been stuck with a democratic government with the credibility of a new election, there might not have been another chance for a coup in years!

No the Dems would have abstained again (with Feb being annulled - they still get to do it one more time) - with the PTP problems (we all know them no need to repeat unpaid farmers etc over and over) and voter apathy, likely July would too be annulled. We would be in the same boat as today - that is if the terrorist acts and gun caches didn't turn it into a civil war well before that. Failing that, a Senate would have been seated and would appoint a new government - and chaos would come once again to the streets.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It will be interesting to see how the many pro coup farangs ranting away on TV change their tune. Time will tell. The reasons given for the coup show just how out of touch these guys are with the international community.

And not just out of touch, for any one to sanction such an act is clearly not really funchioning too well, or they might be Russian. Bad democracy can always improve at the poll, Dictators only get worse.

I think there was a very high probability that anti-govt protester's would interrupt any future election as they did successfully with the 2nd Feb election. Therefore it wasn't really practical to hold another election, which would no doubt have be hijacked.

Plus the added complication that the Democrat party might not compete which would likely result in very poor voting turnout as was seen in the 2nd Feb election.

As none of the involved parties were willing to negotiate with each other, there didn't seem to be any other option than military intervention.

Had things been allowed to continue as they were, then PTP would have forced through an election accompanied with various legal treats and intimidation targeting the EC (plus another few thousand legal cases thrown in to anyone who disagreed with them), the anti-govt. protesters would have blocked the election again, all the while innocent people were being killed by early morning grenade attacks.

Not to mention the unknown violence that might have escalated from the involvement of various political figures (such as the weapons cache found in the PTP MP's car). I think there was some clear evidence that the violence was going to escalate, and clearly there was no way out of the deadlock.

If you disagree with anything I have said please highlight the areas that you find incorrect. If you think that it is roughly correct, and yet you still disagree with the coup, then you are pretty much condoning the deaths of innocent people.

PS - or course there could be more bloodshed around the corner, but so far things seem to be better then they were last week, so for now I'm pro what has happened. I hope I don't get proven otherwise.

• Like 1

I don't need an explanation for the coup because I am very very happy with the military coup.

Obviously the Reds are suffering because their corrupt money supply has been cut off.

Now the Reds might have to work for a living instead of relying on lies and corruption.

I live in Chiang Mai, and almost every Thai I know is Red. But guess what? Not all of them support Thaksin, or even like him, and - news flash - they ALL work for a living. So you should get out more, and cease your inane stereotyping, or someone might think you're an anti-democratic Yellow Shirt, PAD / PDRC, "elitist" member in good standing whistling.gif

If you live in Chiang Mai,as I do, and most of the people you know are reds. I think you need to expand your friend base, there are plenty of Thais who are not red in Chiang Mai and are very happy with the change in situation.

• Like 1

But what if the international community doesn,t have a clue about what is really happening here ? Thanks to the BBC and other completely misinformed media mongers the greed and corruption have been totally overruled by this vague and extremely ill-administered term called democracy. Methinks t,is thou who art out of touch with reality.

• Like 2

democracy: the most misunderstood word in Thailand. Democracy does not mean you have to do what Taksin and his lackies tell you what to do!

Thailand is 'special' because people dont follow the laws and the police dont enforce them. Money buys power and privilege and those that have it enforce their own view of democracy.

I am glad a coup occurred. Now Thai people are free from the Shinawatras grip on the country. Like the Marcos's did in the Philippines.

Could not have said it better myself. This was not a democracy it was a den of theives. A page should be taken from the chinese book and any corruption. at any level should have severe penalties. It does not matter whether the amount of money is 500 to a policemen to avoid a larger fine or 1,000,000 to a Thaksin clan member to get a job done. Corruption is corruption and it has to be stopped. I believe that at this time the cost of building is about double what it should be due to these greedy little theives that think a goverment job is a license to steal. All Thais pay the price for this. Change is needed and I hope the General can do it.

What makes you think the military wants to eliminate corruption?

Reasons for the coup (1 & 3 especially) are giving a very clear indication of the fact that they do not plan to hand back control to civilians until the civilians can be controlled to do the right thing. Appointed rule is here to stay for the foreseeable future.[/size]

thing for a long time. I reckon it will take two generations to educate them so they can figure out the rite from wrong. That is if the General starts them on the path to a decent education. He has much to do including as you can see ALL the past governments screw ups

I'm afraid a series of pre-emptive coups to prevent elections will teach Thais the wrong lessons.

Have you ever heard of a new democracy that did not have to climb a steep learning curve? Have you ever known of a series of coups to help a new democracy up the learning curve?

A 90 year old democracy is not a new democracy! Nearly all the voters alive here grew up with democracy, they were born into it. What learning curve? The last 2 coups were not pushing up democracy, but stopping it falling out the window - this is no Uganda, this is not about the military grabbing power for a mad General to crown himself, it is a man of integrity that is fed up with the bickering and violence and abstinence of those who's job it is to negotiate and bridge divides!

The General's job is to protect the people, not the government; to the crown and the people his vows is given. He was forced to step in to stop an escalation to civil war and acts or guerrilla terrorism. He gave so many warnings for a long time - he pushed for talks and negotiation - he reigned in cessation and other such talk - he was ignored all the way. Enough is enough - and there has been enough violence and death in the last 7 months. Give him time - if he fails to do what he say, fails to push through valid reforms (and each can be debated at the time) and fails to step down after - then have protests and berate him, for now, there is no valid justification for doing so.

• Like 1

democracy: the most misunderstood word in Thailand. Democracy does not mean you have to do what Taksin and his lackies tell you what to do!

Thailand is 'special' because people dont follow the laws and the police dont enforce them. Money buys power and privilege and those that have it enforce their own view of democracy.

I am glad a coup occurred. Now Thai people are free from the Shinawatras grip on the country. Like the Marcos's did in the Philippines.

Could not have said it better myself. This was not a democracy it was a den of theives. A page should be taken from the chinese book and any corruption. at any level should have severe penalties. It does not matter whether the amount of money is 500 to a policemen to avoid a larger fine or 1,000,000 to a Thaksin clan member to get a job done. Corruption is corruption and it has to be stopped. I believe that at this time the cost of building is about double what it should be due to these greedy little theives that think a goverment job is a license to steal. All Thais pay the price for this. Change is needed and I hope the General can do it.

What makes you think he doesn't? What makes you think your Red "democracy" would want to? Easy to answer with an unanswerable question, isn't it? (that last one was rhetorical by the way)

I live in Chiang Mai, and almost every Thai I know is Red. But guess what? Not all of them support Thaksin, or even like him, and - news flash - they ALL work for a living. So you should get out more, and cease your inane stereotyping, or someone might think you're an anti-democratic Yellow Shirt, PAD / PDRC, "elitist" member in good standing whistling.gif

If you live in Chiang Mai,as I do, and most of the people you know are reds. I think you need to expand your friend base, there are plenty of Thais who are not red in Chiang Mai and are very happy with the change in situation.

Indeed, only Reds I find here in CM tend to be tuk tuk drivers, lorry drivers and construction workers (though most of the latter are Burmese anyway) - odd really, I guess getting to listen to Red Radio all day helps. Almost all the Thais I know here are either apathetic or unaligned - and most seem quite happy right now that the violence is being curtailed - there was real fear about civil war.

• Like 2

No the Dems would have abstained again (with Feb being annulled - they still get to do it one more time) - with the PTP problems (we all know them no need to repeat unpaid farmers etc over and over) and voter apathy, likely July would too be annulled. We would be in the same boat as today - that is if the terrorist acts and gun caches didn't turn it into a civil war well before that. Failing that, a Senate would have been seated and would appoint a new government - and chaos would come once again to the streets.

So coups are ok if a minority, Suthep's thugs, might obstruct an election? I can think of a plan B; don't let the minority obstruct the election. If the police can't do it on their own, let the military assist. Of course that requires a military committed to defending democracy,

• Like 1

This days word "DEMOCRACY" is so often used in this forum as natural thing which should occur to every human in the world......is it really happening and fully recognized in this "democratic" world around us???

Somehow some people here leaving own opinions on this site just forgetting that democracy is not the best system for humanity... (surprised ? )

Another thing about democracy is that people are using this word so often even knowing basic rules somehow did not see that corrupted democracy is actually worst for human that some kind of dictatorship ...in case that dictator have more human feelings like "rightfully" elected democratic government.

I am trying to be liberal reading all post here but do not understand why so much anger in many posts or just simply hatred for things happen just now in Thailand?

Did ? Thailand had another better options? then coup?

Hey anybody have better idea how to make it easier life for Thai people??? without coup?

Is everything working perfect in your home country under your home "democracy" ???

really????

YES????? .......then why are you here ???

in Thailand?

I have a feeling that many just prefer old school of corruption and "democracy"

It always amazes me that some people really believe the allure of Thailand is the corruption. Really? Jeez! Yeah, I was thinking of moving to Mexico 'cos I heard the corruption was rampant, but then someone told me about Thailand - couldn't get here any quicker - girls are nice too, lucky that!

So coups are ok if a minority, Suthep's thugs, might obstruct an election? I can think of a plan B; don't let the minority obstruct the election. If the police can't do it on their own, let the military assist. Of course that requires a military committed to defending democracy,

I didn't say right or wrong at all - that's you take on it - I simply disagreed with your premise that a July election would give us an elected democratic government and an end to protest. Still do - if you believe I am wrong in what I said, not in the morality of it, but in the likelihood of it, then say so - I am interested to see how that would be.

A 90 year old democracy is not a new democracy! Nearly all the voters alive here grew up with democracy, they were born into it. What learning curve? The last 2 coups were not pushing up democracy, but stopping it falling out the window - this is no Uganda, this is not about the military grabbing power for a mad General to crown himself, it is a man of integrity that is fed up with the bickering and violence and abstinence of those who's job it is to negotiate and bridge divides!

The General's job is to protect the people, not the government; to the crown and the people his vows is given. He was forced to step in to stop an escalation to civil war and acts or guerrilla terrorism. He gave so many warnings for a long time - he pushed for talks and negotiation - he reigned in cessation and other such talk - he was ignored all the way. Enough is enough - and there has been enough violence and death in the last 7 months. Give him time - if he fails to do what he say, fails to push through valid reforms (and each can be debated at the time) and fails to step down after - then have protests and berate him, for now, there is no valid justification for doing so.

90 years of alternating between democracy and military rule, and how many elected governments have been allowed to finish their terms? I think you're illustrating my point; new democracies don't become mature democracies unless they are allowed to remain democracies and learn from experience.

I'd feel better about the reforms if someone would give at least a vague idea of what the powers that be have in mind.

There was no civil war, and it's debatable if a coup will reduce the risk of terrorism.

Regarding the general's motives, there are things that can't be discussed here. You'll have to do your own research.

Yes Thailand is a very different country. Here nobody knows how many war-arms in hands of people outside the armed forces.The armed forces did not make their accounting on weapons, just money. I know that sivil people ca buy an m4 or m16 on the street here. Who had the import of this weapons ? Everybody ? I don`t think so. Who let them out on the open market ? The Royal Thai Military.

What makes you think he doesn't? What makes you think your Red "democracy" would want to? Easy to answer with an unanswerable question, isn't it? (that last one was rhetorical by the way)

Once again, there are things that can't be discussed here. I'll just say that I'd have more confidence in the military's willingness and ability to eliminate corruption if it had a cleaner reputation.

The only real argument presented is #3, that "Democracy has costs lives".

If they mean the lives lost during the recent protests I would like the blame the police.

The recent protests lead by Suthep were ruled illegal by court, yet police never acted on stopping them,

They allowed the "peaceful" protesters to block government buildings and stuff. A real democratic protest should not enter buildings, block people from going to work. That is illegal, Why? Because if it would be allowed for anyone to "peacefully" stop the government offices from doing their jobs, it would mean that TINY MINORITY groups can disrupt the government anytime they want,, And that is not democracy, that is childish "I WANT I WANT I WANT"-behavior ..

Just because Suthep gathered some 50k or 100k people does not allow him to disrupt the government, He can make their voice heard by marching the streets without blocking stuff.

In real democracies around the world police would have protected the government buildings. But in Thailand a minority group was allowed to bring the country to such a state that the military finally had to come in.

Unless they start giving incentive for police to uphold the law, this will be repeated again. Someone at police HQ must be fired and giving punishment for not arresting protest leaders and dispersing illegal protests.

I hope the reforms done by military now put in place something that gives police accountability and incentives to act and do their jobs, instead of being lazy money grabbers that almost everyone hates.

I didn't say right or wrong at all - that's you take on it - I simply disagreed with your premise that a July election would give us an elected democratic government and an end to protest. Still do - if you believe I am wrong in what I said, not in the morality of it, but in the likelihood of it, then say so - I am interested to see how that would be.

How's this, I believe that people that defend "traditional institutions" are allowed to push the limits of legality way beyond reasonable limits, as Suthep did many times, most notably in obstructing the February elections, while people who are perceived as being less protective of these institutions are dealt with unreasonably harshly, as Yingluck was when she was removed from office for re-assigning a cabinet minister that had been appointed by Abhisist.

Had institutions such as the military been committed to defending a democratic government, Suthep would have been kept on a much shorter leash and the February elections would have been successfully conducted. I know, the military, as per their 2007 constitution, is not subject to the rule of the elected government. I'm tempted to go further, but once again there are limits.

NCPO hopes int’l community will understand why takeover is necessary

BANGKOK, 25 May 2014 (NNT) - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) continues explaining the reasons why the army seized power from the caretaker government, stressing that the political protests caused loss of lives and there was a use of weapons to instigate violence.

Deputy Spokesman of the Royal Thai Army Col.Winthai Suwaree on Sunday said conveying correct understanding to the international community was a priority of the NCPO. He said foreign ambassadors had been informed of the reasons and necessity of the takeover and expressed his confidence that the NCPO would be able to make foreign countries understand the situation in Thailand. The spokesman noted that each country was in different context and the NCPO had strong reasons and clear evidence to justify the power seizure.

Col.Winthai confirmed the military always supported democracy but democratic expressions in the past had often resulted in loss of lives and violence.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-05-24 footer_n.gif

If the ambassadors were informed or not do not make any difference. The main nw\ews channels on ntv are blocked. That says it all. Nothing more has to be said.

• Like 1

The international community will never understand as long you are blocking BBC and CNN, plus some other ninternational channels. Forget the wish about understanding . Now US cut a little in the aid to the Thai armed forces, but next will be more severe actions. Open the TV for god/buddah sake.

Unbelievable ignorance of some TV poster thinking that people who oppose this sham of a govt. do not want election. Sure technically YS won the election in a democratic sense, but also, she won it promising the moon at the expense of the people. Without accountability and responsibility for their policies, they have only ruin the nation and divided the people. This is not "two can play this game". If that was the case, than to win an election, all parties have to come up with other lame brain populist policy that is socially irresponsible. How far can you drag the country down. I think I was like many people, discourage by the fact that everyone is corrupted in all government in all country. But when this govt. decides to take out more loans, in the form of 2 Trillion, because the corruption money ran dry from the coffers, that is when I know we are over the brink of self destruction.

We stand more for democracy than those who allows the PTP to lead the country over the cliff.

Are you able to open your eyes, and see that a (maybe) dictatorship, has been taken over by another dictatorship?

Can you even recognize it? Now you cheer because Thaksin has been obliterated.

Tomorrow they will touch your rights, and what you will do? (If you live in Thailand of course, and if you have any interests here).

Just the same as was said in the 2006 coup - "They will never return power", "dictatorship", bla bla bla - and then, they handed it back to the electorate as they said they would all along.

I will not discuss here deeply this topic, as I still want to be a free man. I live in Thailand, so I am not free to express opinion after today orders from Junta.

But allow me to tell you, if you think this coup is similar to 2006, you are so so far from the truth.

Of course, you are free to believe it. I'm not here to make you change idea.

• Like 1

Apologies for digressing from the main thread topic, but I wondered how correct it is to say that Thai law is based on French law.

Presumably Ian thinks this partly because Thailand is classified as a country with a civil law system, but it is clearly one with common law influences as well. Also it seems implausible that constitutional law in a constitutional monarchy with a Parliament based on the Westminster model was really borrowed from a republic (though influenced by Roman law, the French judicial system changed after the revolution). As far as I can see from a quick internet search, Thailand's legal system was shaped by many external influences, including its historic trading partners and treaty agreements. Here is a short article on this topic.

http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/reformation1.html

Perhaps Ian knows more though - was he thinking mainly of criminal law?

Terry: I really object to your post. It shows little understanding of what has been happening in this country for many years.

Firstly to correct you: Most of Thai law is based on French law.

(...)

But what if the international community doesn,t have a clue about what is really happening here ? Thanks to the BBC and other completely misinformed media mongers the greed and corruption have been totally overruled by this vague and extremely ill-administered term called democracy. Methinks t,is thou who art out of touch with reality.

the international community doesn't rely on the media for it's information, you do realise that there are many foreign consulates within Thailand, who get their information from people on the ground, staff, diplomats etc etc etc, and for good measure, throw in your odd "intelligence" and "security consultants" who are subcontracted by said Governments, then add to that the tens of thousands of foreigners who travel in and around Thailand on a monthly basis, all passing information to friends family, relatives, and if you're American the NSA through phone and ISP logging.

Secondly, not all media show bias, there's a hell of a lot more than just the BBC to rely on for information,the information is all there, the good the bad and the ugly, and at then end of the day it's down to the individual what he chooses to believe ;)

Then there's friends and family who live in Thailand, almost everyone knows someone who lives in Thailand.

So really you've presented quite a weak argument for being "out of touch with reality"

• Like 2