Small portions food

namdocmai

"Sticky rice with mango and coconut sauce costs 50 baht now in BKK-suburbs. How much is that in your places?"

I never had sticky rice with mango paying less than 100-120 baht. That is in foodcourts like in MKB or other major supermarkets. Is it 50 baht in the suberbs?

Inflation.

Food sellers trying to keep the price the same but compensating with either smaller or lower quality portions. I've noticed this over the past few years.

Piset means special. But when ordering food, it means asking for a bigger portion or more of one ingredient - piset moo...more pork please.

Yes that's what is going on now, they make the portions smaller for the same price. I don't want to leave a restaurant feeling hungry so i will have to order an extra dish then.

I rarely eat chicken from the street, gai yiang is hard to find in restaurants. I can't remember i saw that, it is always deepfried chicken or fillet. Japanese restaurants have nice grilled chicken so i eat it there.

Sticky rice with mango and coconutsauce costs 50 baht now in BKK-suburbs. How much is that in your places?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fat people in Thailand are fat now because they're being poisoned with American processed foods laden with sugar.

Actually it is because they are eating more fatty Thai foods and Thai processed snacks laden with sugar. Very few Thais eat lots of Western food, although they will have it from time to time.

• Like 1

In Singapore, where I have to spend most of my time, some restaurants advertise "American portions" (which is more than this Canadian can stomach). Maybe some people need to realise that the US doesn't always define what's 'normal'....

• Like 2

Portion of sticky rice or steamed rice from my local rice shop is still 5bht.

About twice as much as I can eat.

No excuse for changing cooked rice portions, rice has been the same price for the last 5 years.

But electricity has gone up to cook it and fuel has gone up to go get it.. businesses have other costs to cover. Not just the base item cost.

I have a friend with a small restaurant and she is struggling to balance everything out.. cost wise.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No excuse for changing cooked rice portions, rice has been the same price for the last 5 years.

But electricity has gone up to cook it and fuel has gone up to go get it.. businesses have other costs to cover. Not just the base item cost.

I have a friend with a small restaurant and she is struggling to balance everything out.. cost wise.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Electricity has gone up 5% in the last 5 years, gas has gone up 20% in the last 5 years.

So, worst case, they used gas for cooking. Let's agree on a 0.2Bht price rise per portion as acceptable for the last 5 years.

Wages are the same, they still pay the Burmese girls 20bht an hour.

1st world problems. If you don't like the restaurant portion sizes go buy a bag of chips, order another meal, drink some water, cook yourself, Stop complaining.

Consider yourself lucky you can buy anything decent to eat for the equivalent of not much more than $1. Fat chance of that back home.

It annoys me when people complain about a 5 baht increase or they didn't receive enough rice grains. The world doesn't revolve around your stomach.

There is a much easier solution to your overly-small portions. Get a Thai gf who can cook. Sometimes i swear that my missus is trying to fatten me up for some reason.

that sounds more like a problem than a solution

Funny reactions here, especially from the Samui Bodybuilders that even can't eat 1 portion of thai food.......whistling.gif

Well i am 190 cm and 88 kg. And believe me if you have muscles hanging on your body they cost energy.

I liked to eat in fuji and Zen the Bento set. 3 years ago it costed 220 baht excl. 11% service costs. Now it costs 280 ex so that is a big raise in praise.

Why i asked started this topic is to see what you guys think of the smaller portions or raised prices and if you even noticed it. Bangkok is more expensive than the rest of Thailand.

a Macdonalds hamburger was 20 baht like 5 years ago, now it is almost 30. A wholeweat tunasandwich (at a fuelstation) was 20 baht some years ago, now 30 or more.

I don't understand that it works to sell smaller portions for the old price. If you do that in Europe your customers will all run away. The Thai don't understand the value of a good running business which has qeueu's waiting outside every day (like Sizzlers). These days it is very easy to find the good restaurant-deals in Bangkok, just follow the crowd.

If it aint busy it's no good.

Sticky rice with mango and coconutsauce costs 50 baht now in BKK-suburbs. How much is that in your places?

40 baht is the norm in Chiang Mai. I remember when it was 15 baht, but it was difficult to find shops that would sell it to farangs for that price.

60 baht in pattaya

I thirty-plus years in Thailand I have not noticed restaurant serving smaller portions. However, I do see variations in portion sizes in different restaurants.

FWIW, Peruvian restaurants give huge portions of food ... often more than I can finish, which is saying a lot (literally & figuratively).

Have you never heard of a buffet? You can put both trotters in and go for it. There are plenty of 99 baht buffets around some even cheaper. The reason you don't feel full is because you're eating carbs not protein. Sounds like you may have diabetes though. I'd get that checked.

BUT

Rent

Labor

Water

Packaging

Electric

Cooking gas

No excuse for someone not taking into account the entire cost of their product.

'nuff said

~

Yes, some people have no concept of the total cost of an item. They seem to focus on the core ingredient and totally forget or do not realise all the related costs of getting it on the plate and then cleaning up after them. Imagine their reaction if they went to their boss asking for a payrise and the boss said, you are the same person doing the same work so why should I pay you more than when you started. 5555555

• Like 1