Phuket rescue man tells of his battle with death

webfact

Phuket rescue man tells of his battle with death
Anthika Muangrod

1401097677_1-org.jpg
Back on duty: Jessada Janpen.

PHUKET: -- Jessada “O” Janpen, 25, the Kusoldharm Rescue Foundation volunteer who almost died down a sewer full of poison gas almost two months ago is back at work with the foundation.

O leaped down into the sewer in a heroic effort to rescue four workers who had been overcome lethal hydrogen sulphide fumes, but instead became a victim himself. Colleagues pulled him out in time to save him from death, but for the first few days afterwards he was in a coma.

The four men died.

O, who has been working with the Kusoldharm Foundation for four years, told The Phuket News, “My body and my lungs are back to normal.

“At first, my left lung was like it had cancer. It was black, and the doctors almost removed it. But it gradually recovered, so they canceled that plan.”

His recovery was partly because the Kusoldharm Foundation ordered “super expensive medication” from Bangkok to clean his lungs. It worked. His recovery was also accelerated by a cash donation from Eastern Thai Consulting 1992 Co (ETC), whose workers he was trying to save in the sewer.

But it was touch-and-go in the first few days. For 10 days he was in a coma and on life support. Doctor said that his body was working at “only 20 per cent” and he might not survive. They set a deadline of noon on April 5 for turning off his life support.

On the morning of that day, O woke up.

“In the hospital, I knew I was sleeping but I didn’t understand why I had a lot of wires around my neck and I felt like someone was spraying my mouth all the time. I felt so weak.

“When I woke up, I couldn’t move at all. I could only blink. Three days later, I could move a little bit.”

The gradual recovery continued. “The doctor said that I had to have physical therapy. But I’m stubborn. I didn’t want to [stay in the hospital], so I asked a friend to bring me some crutches and I started to walk.

“On April 13 the doctor allowed me to go back home after he saw that I could walk by myself.”

The recovery has continued. “I’m better but I still can’t lift heavy things much because I get tired easily.”

He says he remembers nothing of what happened after he climbed down into the sewer, where four men lay unconscious.

Colleagues have helped him patch it together with their own accounts. “We didn’t know what had happened to the four men – we just thought they had no air in the sewer and were unconscious.

“In fact, a man from ETC was about to climb down when we arrived, but when he saw us he climbed back out again. If we had arrived any later, there would have been five dead.

“When I got into the sewer, the very second I got to the ground, I felt as though something was squeezing my chest. I didn’t smell a thing, though.

“But I knew that something was wrong, so I started to climb back up the ladder. Suddenly, I felt my arms go weak a I fell down again into the hole.”

“Three of my friends were waiting for me outside the manhole. They didn’t realise that when I was climbing up I was already in trouble. Then I fell. Nne of my colleagues managed to grab my hand but I was too heavy, and he couldn’t hold it for long so I fell back to the bottom.

O was wearing an oxygen mask at the time, but he explained, “I think I breathed in the [hydrogen sulphide anyway – there are small holes at the mask that can let air in.”

The rescue team reaised they had to move fast before he died from oxygen deprivation or ended up a vegetable. Natthagorn “Not” Gomutthapol grabbed an oxygen tank and ent down into the hole. Swiftly he attached ropes to everyone in the hole and within three minutes they had all been winched up.

Not drove O to Vachira Phuket Hospital but when they got there he, too, collapsed.

Two other members of the rescue men had to be hospitalised, receiving oxygen and saline drips for several hours. Another five were also affected by the gas, though not enough to go to hospital.

The almost fatal accident has not damped O’s courage or stopped him wanting to help people.

“If this kind of accident happened again tomorrow, I would go down and try to save people again. But next time, I hope I would have better equipment. We are now waiting for new equipment the foundation has just ordered.

“My courage comes mainly from my colleagues and my family.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-rescue-man-tells-of-his-battle-with-death-46479.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-26

• Like 1

No breathing apparatus supplied. Typical Thai attitude to safety! Lucky man.

My thoughts too. What sort of training do these guys get, to jump into a sewer full of toxic fumes?

Something is sadly lacking at the admin level, not the workers.

• Like 1

There was but obviously they need to upgrade their systems.

"O was wearing an oxygen mask at the time, but he explained, “I think I breathed in the [hydrogen sulphide anyway – there are small holes at the mask that can let air in.”

My thoughts too. What sort of training do these guys get, to jump into a sewer full of toxic fumes?

This is Asia not Kansas.

• Like 2

Bungled rescue by an organization that doesn't properly assess risk nor train it's staff in basic safety techniques and were obviously completely out of their depth in attempting a rescue. It's only by good luck and not planning and preparation that he and others did not die in addition to the staff of the company, who allegedly also paid no attention to the health and safety situation, and paid the price with the lives of 4 of their staff. I'll bet nothing was learnt from this, and they only went out and bought lottery tickets and lit candles at the temple after he was discharged from hospital. Lesson to the general public is don't let these kind of volunteer organizations get anywhere near an emergency situation that you find yourself in!

It says he was wearing an oxygen mask.

I felt as though something was squeezing my chest. I didnt smell a thing, though.

There must've been something else as well as hydrogen sulphide.
Actually the physiological symptoms described are exactly how exposure to H2S gas often occur...dependent on actual concentration levels. Edited by ClutchClark

I felt as though something was squeezing my chest. I didnt smell a thing, though.

Actually the physiological symptoms described are exactly how exposure to H2S gas often occur...dependent on actual concentration levels.

I can't believe he didn't smell it. Even in minute concentrations, it stinks.

Actually the physiological symptoms described are exactly how exposure to H2S gas often occur...dependent on actual concentration levels.

Exactly. In minute concentrations it stinks; however, in larger concentrations it paralyzes the olefactory senses so the odor cannot be detected.

A rescuer has to look for visual cues and local environment when suspect of H2S presence.

Exactly. In minute concentrations it stinks; however, in larger concentrations it paralyzes the olefactory senses so the odor cannot be detected.

A rescuer has to look for visual cues and local environment when suspect of H2S presence.

Thanks for this - yes, in concentrations of 150ppm there is loss of smell (olfactory fatigue or paralysis) according to this site:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

And at 0.1% concentration, death can occur in a couple of breaths. Scary.

• Like 1

Bungled rescue by an organization that doesn't properly assess risk nor train it's staff in basic safety techniques and were obviously completely out of their depth in attempting a rescue. It's only by good luck and not planning and preparation that he and others did not die in addition to the staff of the company, who allegedly also paid no attention to the health and safety situation, and paid the price with the lives of 4 of their staff. I'll bet nothing was learnt from this, and they only went out and bought lottery tickets and lit candles at the temple after he was discharged from hospital. Lesson to the general public is don't let these kind of volunteer organizations get anywhere near an emergency situation that you find yourself in!

May I enquire were you live?

I would agree with your comments concerning the incompetence of the company .

But never knock the work done by the volunteers. Many wealthy countries have highly trained paramedics, ambulances stuffed full of state of the art equipment.

They do not exist here.

I would be interested to know what you would do when lying in the road after an accident - have a large sign on your bike or car- don't let them near me?

These guys and girls do a brilliant job ( and sadly are often faced with dead bodies)

I live on a busy street in a major city in Thailand where vehicles operated by these volunteer rescue foundations race each other to the scenes of accidents often breaking traffic rules and regulations in order to get there, and then hurry to get injured victims into their vehicles or even fight with other volunteers in the process, normally with very little consideration to environmental health and safety of victims and, as we have read here, their own staff. I'll always refuse to be treated by these organizations and instead will call the local private hospital to come pick me up and wait until qualified professionals arrive on the scene. Most private hospitals in Thailand do in fact have modern ambulances with most or all of the state of the art equipment, including trained paramedics and drivers who take care to ensure road safety. Fortunately in Thailand, especially in and around Bangkok, we have many highly competent options for emergency care that cost a fraction of what the same service costs in developed countries.

But never knock the work done by the volunteers. Many wealthy countries have highly trained paramedics, ambulances stuffed full of state of the art equipment.

They do not exist here.

I would be interested to know what you would do when lying in the road after an accident - have a large sign on your bike or car- don't let them near me?

These guys and girls do a brilliant job ( and sadly are often faced with dead bodies)

I live on a busy street in a major city in Thailand where vehicles operated by these volunteer rescue foundations race each other to the scenes of accidents often breaking traffic rules and regulations in order to get there, and then hurry to get injured victims into their vehicles or even fight with other volunteers in the process, normally with very little consideration to environmental health and safety of victims and, as we have read here, their own staff. I'll always refuse to be treated by these organizations and instead will call the local private hospital to come pick me up and wait until qualified professionals arrive on the scene. Most private hospitals in Thailand do in fact have modern ambulances with most or all of the state of the art equipment, including trained paramedics and drivers who take care to ensure road safety. Fortunately in Thailand, especially in and around Bangkok, we have many highly competent options for emergency care that cost a fraction of what the same service costs in developed countries.

Assuming you are conscious and physically able to call...I am sure you meant.

So this "O" fella in the article is identified as a "volunteer" (does this mean without pay?) and he intentionally placed himself at great risk and nearly lost his life to save others.

I am not in a position to doubt your own experience as simply conjecture but this reported incident seems to offer an excellent argument against your post.

Just saying ;-)

They do not exist here.

Assuming you are conscious and physically able to call...I am sure you meant.

So this "O" fella in the article is identified as a "volunteer" (does this mean without pay?) and he intentionally placed himself at great risk and nearly lost his life to save others.

I am not in a position to doubt your own experience as simply conjecture but this reported incident seems to offer an excellent argument against your post.

Just saying ;-)

"O" may well be, and apparently is, a kind, warm-hearted, caring citizen who wants to save the lives of others. As we have seen that is still not enough when capacity is low due to lack of or insufficient training, and safety is ignored, including that of the rescuer himself. I am not criticizing these individuals who work as volunteers (I presume they might make some small stipend for lending a hand), it is the organization and how it operates that is the cause of concern here. That's why if I am conscious and physically able to make the call, or if I am at the scene of a serious accident or emergency and have the opportunity to help, I'll always call the professionals, rather than the volunteers, to respond.

• Like 1

What is being dumped into the sewer to create the H2S gas? Is anyone looking into this? Sounds like there is a much bigger problem and of course it will be addressed.....right?

Pretty much any biological matter can decompose and compound it under the right conditions. BTW, it is also called sewer gas.

Question: What is sewer gas?

Answer: Sewer gas, at least that which causes an odor problem to the occupants of a house, is a mixture of inorganic gases created by the action of anaerobic (needing no oxygen) bacteria on sewage and sludge. This gas can contain hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen, and hydrogen.

Question: What makes it smell so bad?

Answer: Almost always, hydrogen sulfide is the odor culprit, although ammonia may be formed in rare cases. The rest of the gases listed above are odorless. The odor threshold, the lowest concentration that can be detected with the nose, for hydrogen sulfide is somewhere between .001 and .01 parts per million (ppm), an extremely low concentration. As an illustration, 1 ppm on a linear scale is one inch in 15.8 miles.

Question: Can these gases harm the people who come into contact with them?

Answer: Only under extremely unusual circumstances. Although hydrogen sulfide is a toxic gas, it will not harm people at the concentrations that exist in a house with sewer gas odor problems. Studies have shown that hydrogen sulfide has a depressant effect on the central nervous system in concentrations above 150 ppm. This is 15,000 to 150,000 times the amount detectable by most people. Not enough gas is generated in the sewers for concentrations to approach the dangerous level in the dwelling.

However, if a person were to enter a tunnel or deep hole that contained sewage undergoing anaerobic breakdown, there is a chance he could become poisoned.

Question: How does it get into the house?

Answer: The only way sewer gas can get into a home is if there is something wrong with your plumbing. The most common fault in the plumbing system is untrapped drains, especially floor drains in the basement or utility room. Since 1970, the City of Marion has had a plumbing inspection program and any houses built after that year should have no problem with a lack of traps. If your house is older than that, your floor drains may or may not be trapped.

Other ways sewer gas can get into your home include:

1. A dry trap. If there is a trap in a drain line that is not often used, the water in the trap may evaporate, breaking the trap seal.
  2. A damaged trap. Obviously, if the trap is cracked and allows the water to run out, the trap seal is again lost.
  3. A damaged drain line. If the drain line is cracked or broken between the main sewer and the trap, there is nothing to impede the flow of gases through the crack or break in the line. Also, a damaged drain line may allow sewage to drain into the basement or crawlspace under your house, and you may get a sewer odor from that accumulation of sewer.
  4. A damaged or plugged vent. The vent system in your plumbing is designed to equalize the atmospheric pressure differences caused by wastewater flowing through the plumbing, and also to allow sewer gases to escape the plumbing system by venting them into the atmosphere above the house. If this system has an untrapped opening inside your house, gases may escape through that opening.

If the vent is plugged or absent, those unequal pressures it was designed to eliminate may siphon the water out of the trap to such an extent as to ruin the trap seal.

Question: How is it produced in the sewer?

Answer: Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is produced when the sulfate radical (SO4) is reduced to H2S and H2O (water). This reaction can take place only when there is no oxygen or other oxidants in the microbial environment. Studies have shown that H2S is not produced in fresh wastewater for two or three days, by which time it is normally to or through the wastewater treatment plant.

There are, however, some environments where hydrogen sulfide is produced in the sewers:

1. The slime layer that coats the sewer pipe below the water line. Although this layer can be only .040 of an inch thick, the three-quarters of the layer closest to the sewer pipe is so oxygen-poor that H2S is commonly formed.
  2. If any sludge has been deposited at the bottom of the pipe, H2S will also be formed in that sludge.
  3. If there is a problem in the sewer with flow (if it is plugged or partially plugged) so that the sewage cannot keep moving, the oxygen content gets to low that H2S can be produced in the sewage itself.

An important point to remember is hat all sewage systems, at one time or another, produce sewer gas.

More here - http://www.marionohio.us/wpc/sewer_gas

• Like 2

Exactly!! and who is responsible for issuing faulty masks? How often are they tested. Do they use a smoke chamber?

Even as a volunteer, we had to train to use this gear, and practice often. I was eventually barred from using breathing apparatus, as I went with the flow in those days and had a beard!

To issue faulty gear is criminal!

Confined spaces require specific actions to be taken. Prior to any entry into a confined space, gas monitoring should take place. If there is gas present, evacuation of the air with a large fan or fans may be helpful. If further testing proves the air is still not breathable then Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or supplied air breathing apparatus should be worn.

There should be personnel outside the man way at all times. If a person inside should pass out, on no condition should one enter the confined space to effect a rescue, unless breathing apparatus is available. One method is to tie a rope to the first man in. An old and proven method is to put a bird in a cage on a long stick into the confined space. If the bird dies then people will die. I only suggest this because realistically will Thais buy a gas monitor ?

Obviously none of these people had confined space training. At the very least the Emergency personnel should be made aware of these conditions. H2S or methane gas are lethal. These may commonly be present in sewers. A sewer is a confined space.

Signage should be prominently displayed at the entrance to any confined space. Once gas monitoring has taken place the monitor should sign a document attesting to the fact that the air is safe including sufficient oxygen to support life not just the absence of poisonous gases. Regular and frequent monitoring should take place after the initial test.

I have had confined space training and have entered many confined spaces. I have worn SCBA and I have practised rescuing a heavy dummy in the dark in a smoke filled room. Someone shut off my oxygen valve but I was still able to complete the rescue.

There are training courses available and it saddens me to hear of totally preventable deaths and injuries related to confine spaces.

It says he was wearing an oxygen mask.

This man is a volunteer and deserves to be applauded for what he does, don't knock volunteers. He can only work with the gear they supply, it sounds like he was wearing an oxygen therapy mask the type you put onto people who need extra oxygen to assist their breathing, not a gas mask as such.

Yes they need the proper gear but I say well done to that young man and I hope there are people like him around me if I ever need them.

• Like 1