Homeless Westerners on the Rise in Thailand ?

David48

Putting judgementals aside,

video said, most had separated from their thai wives and were kicked out of home and had no recourse because they were bought in there wives name,

very sad! you could be financially stable, happy one minute, the next minute kicked out, homeless and no legal right to a house that you most likely paid for

Shitty system

don't blame the system dear boy....one suspects many of these individuals knew the risks and reputation of Thailand in this regard, but yet they went ahead all the same and threw their lot in...

Anyone with even a gram of common sense, would always have a plan B.

Some farang's in Thailand bang on how westerners have superior intelligence in comparison with the natives, but yet a young lady with no more than a primary school education, a pair of breasts and a trick pelvis can to take them to the cleaners financially and they are hoofed out onto the street...

Whist i feel sorry for these guy's i do think you make a good point soutpeel,you have to be ahead of the game in los if you want to play.i have only improved my wife's existing house,for a modest sum,car is in my name,if it goes pear shaped which i hope it won,t no problem,i can walk,some of these guy's seem to put all the eggs in one basket.

Putting judgementals aside,

video said, most had separated from their thai wives and were kicked out of home and had no recourse because they were bought in there wives name,

very sad! you could be financially stable, happy one minute, the next minute kicked out, homeless and no legal right to a house that you most likely paid for

Shitty system

don't blame the system dear boy....one suspects many of these individuals knew the risks and reputation of Thailand in this regard, but yet they went ahead all the same and threw their lot in...

Anyone with even a gram of common sense, would always have a plan B.

Some farang's in Thailand bang on how westerners have superior intelligence in comparison with the natives, but yet a young lady with no more than a primary school education, a pair of breasts and a trick pelvis can to take them to the cleaners financially and they are hoofed out onto the street...

Oh believe me they are very defensive about this and can come up with some poor excuse as to why the superior intelligence of the farang still manages to fall for the poor young bar girl.

• 1 month later...

I always ask myself, so assuming you werent marrying a bargirl half your age,

how would you go abouts protecting yourself so people dont say "see, I told you so!"

because one day thai wife could decide to cheat on you, and decides selfishly that you should be out on your <deleted>,

and its the house that you bought with your own money that had to be put in her name to buy it

what else could he have done????

I dont know im afraid

maybe some of these guys cheated on their wives...and decided that they should be out on their <deleted>.

how would you go abouts protecting yourself so people dont say "see, I told you so!"

because one day thai wife could decide to cheat on you, and decides selfishly that you should be out on your <deleted>,

and its the house that you bought with your own money that had to be put in her name to buy it

I dont know im afraid

Please stop this get good legal advice if you don't want to listen to me.

To have control of a house in Thailand you do not need to buy in your wife's name.

I dont know im afraid

Hilarious response right there ^. Love the assumptions about "Bargirl half your age"

Anyway bad decisions are why people are homeless.

I find it quite interesting that this type of worry about a Thai woman kicking you out hits the radar screen. Seems like many men live in this fear. SIlly!!! It is no different than in a western country. In the US if the wife cheats on you and wants you out the courts are going to punt you so its no different( Unless you had your home as personal property prior to marriage or a prenup).. Outside that you have 1/2 ownership in it, but you have that right in TL as well. Forget about the land, you do not own it in TL and you do not own it in the US, the Bank and Govt does.

Being homeless all boils down to a couple of situations, poor planning and in some cases with a few, bad luck. The lure of the perceived easy life and figuring they only need $50 to live forever lead them down a long dark trail. I suspect that the only homeless westerners you will ever see are in Phuket and Pattaya. If you leave those 2 tourist congested areas you will never see one would be my guess. So is it on the rise you ask???.....Maybe in those few square miles but as whole in Thailand...Probably not.

I have a hard time sympathizing with homeless people anywhere. Few ever make an attempt to get back on track. Its one thing to be down on your luck, its another to become a drunk and run out of money. If you are a US citizen you can go to the Embassy and they will loan you money for airfare to return to the US. They keep your passport until the loan is paid back. Most will not do it. I guess its easier to be homeless in TL but doubt Thais will cough up any money. They have a better chance standing at stoplights in the US. Some of those "Homeless" people pull in good money.