Savannakhet notes

blaizer

Savannakhet notes

Just completed a visa run to Savannakhet. One-year multiple-entry non-imm O with no problems at all at consulate. Small queue, no hassles.

Some notes in case others are travelling that way:

Air Asia's new (I think) transfer from Nakhon Phanom worked rather well – on time and with smart, well-driven minibus each way (I was the only passenger on return).

I crossed the bridge at about 1900. No problem Thai side, no troops in evidence (cos it was dark, perhaps). Lao side almost deserted and no-one around to stamp passport after obtaining visa. Be careful: they got antsy yesterday when I returned, although it only took 20min (and no money) to sort out an entry stamp on exit.

Staying in Savannakhet:

Leena has been a popular choice and is OK but you must insist on the bigger, newer rooms in a separate block (numbers 25-39 or so), otherwise you get the really crapped out stuff for the same 380 baht. Chaotic staff.

One other option might be the New SaenSaeb down by the ferry terminal, which IS new and looks quite smart from the outside.

Savannakhet really is small and a ten-minute walk takes you from one end to the other. Frankly, there is not much to see but it's not as rough as I had expected, just, well, dull. Staff at consulate say there is no timeline for moving to their new building (see other TV posts – it's about finished) – they hinted it might never happen.....

Cafes: Lin's has been praised but not by me. A two-minute walk from the consulate is Chez Boune, which has aircon and is much smarter than Lin's but with the same prices (and free wifi). The DaoSaveng on the square just south of the Catholic church deserves a mention: ambitious French menus priced stupendously low (see one example in pic – 65,000 kip is 260 baht) and cooked and presented really well.

Beer: for those who like their Beer Lao dark, bad news – the black beer is hardly available anywhere. But the standard stuff is still cheap (10,000 kip for a large one).

Mukdahan:

A real nothing town except for the riverfront which has been done up rather well. If you take a tuk-tuk from the bus station, ask for Riverfront Hotel (not to stay, just to find the riverfront). Nice promenade, trinkets in market and some quite good restaurants at the western end of the frontage.

post-199101-0-56119000-1401507481_thumb.

• Like 1

Did mine in January. Much faster and easier than the one the year before.

Some notes. I read on TV that the bridge opens at 0600. Well Thai mmigration does. The busses don't run until 0700 and Laos immigration doesn't open until 0800 but...........

I got through Thai immigration, found a free ride in the back of a pick up at 0630 and got to Laos immigration at 0645. An immigration official came and opened the office at about 0715 and I was on my way to a dumpy hotel before 0800.

Small crowd at the consulate to turn in my paperwork and a small crowd for pick up.

• Like 1

I have some questions regarding obtaining a Non Imm O spouse (marriage) multiple entry from Thai consulate in Savannakhet.

Maybe some members can answer.

1) Is there a bus from Ubonratchathani city bus terminal all the way to Savannakhet (via Mukdahan)?

If so, what is the earliest time it leaves Ubon, how long is the trip, how much is the fare, when is the last bus back/leaving Savannakhet/Mukdahan to Ubon?

2) I already got a Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration, not certificate) at an amphur in Bangkok a week ago.

But I plan to get a new visa (visa, not extention) late this month, June.

The Kor Ror 2 will then be 1.5 months old: will it still be accepted?

3) Apart from original marriage certificate and Kor Ror 2 and signed copy of Thai wife's ID card, I plan to also bring along

(and will only show when requested by consulate staff) original bankbook, original work permit,

original and copy of personal income tax receipt for 2013 tax filling, copy of the income tax declaration from 2013

(to show I can comply with the at least THB 50K monthly income requirement).

The bankbook will be at least showing transactions from 14th April until, I guess, the day prior to application at consulate,

but far under a balance of THB 400K.

My question: will this be enough if asked more than the marriage documents and ID document?

4) What is the expectation that the Thai consulate will still be where it was last year April 2013?

Thanks!

I have some questions regarding obtaining a Non Imm O spouse (marriage) multiple entry from Thai consulate in Savannakhet.

Maybe some members can answer.

1) Is there a bus from Ubonratchathani city bus terminal all the way to Savannakhet (via Mukdahan)?

If so, what is the earliest time it leaves Ubon, how long is the trip, how much is the fare, when is the last bus back/leaving Savannakhet/Mukdahan to Ubon?

2) I already got a Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration, not certificate) at an amphur in Bangkok a week ago.

But I plan to get a new visa (visa, not extention) late this month, June.

The Kor Ror 2 will then be 1.5 months old: will it still be accepted?

3) Apart from original marriage certificate and Kor Ror 2 and signed copy of Thai wife's ID card, I plan to also bring along

(and will only show when requested by consulate staff) original bankbook, original work permit,

original and copy of personal income tax receipt for 2013 tax filling, copy of the income tax declaration from 2013

(to show I can comply with the at least THB 50K monthly income requirement).

The bankbook will be at least showing transactions from 14th April until, I guess, the day prior to application at consulate,

but far under a balance of THB 400K.

My question: will this be enough if asked more than the marriage documents and ID document?

4) What is the expectation that the Thai consulate will still be where it was last year April 2013?

Thanks!

NO Bus from bon to Laos, you must change busses at Mukdahan Bus Station and if you are flying in you should check out Nakon Phanom flights as it is closer to Mukdahan. If you want to stay in Mukdahan, check out Mukdahan Manor, the restaurant there is the best for western food. www.mukdahan-manor.com As for the rest of your questions i can't help you i'm sorry.