Overweight, low-IQ kids 'a wake-up call for society'

Lite Beer

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I fully agree with the article that the kids have to eat more healthy and do more sports, I always think it's strange that the government want to promote milk so badly but the prices are 110% higher than my country in europe... than I still not talk about the taste of milk here

What country is that? Milk is heavily subsidized in the USA. It actually costs about $7 to make a gallon (about 3.8 liters) of milk in the USA but it sells for around $3.

O M G

How could Thai kids GET a lower I Q ??? whistling.gif

The ones around here are as thick as 2 short planks rolleyes.gif

It maybe the Farang fathers that are lowing the IQ's most drink to much and everyone knowns how stupid they are to have family when they came here to play

Must be true since they constantly fall off balconies in Pattaya.

• Like 2

This is what's expected when your staple diet comes from daily dining at 7 Eleven.

I made a conscious effort to find nutritional/non sugar laden items in 7/11. The only things I could find were overpriced boiled eggs & packaged overpriced fruit.

If you want to get depressed check a CP Freshmart.

Banning the sale of junk food and running the fast food companies out of the country would be a good start to a more healthy bunch of kids.

And reducing the dreadful habit that many Thais have of ladling extra sugar onto food, adding it to the dreadful excuse for bread they have here and generally going back to what is, in essence, a healthier diet than the Western model.

If I ever become resurrected, I want to come back as a Thai dentist! smile.png

Added to the issue with bread: it's not just the added sugar, although that tastes horrible, it's also the fact that much of the standard 'brown' bread is in fact simply coloured with molasses. It is not whole wheat bread at all. So some parents, believing they are making a healthy choice, are simply being conned

• Like 2

Surely the key thing is balance. Thais are genetically programmed for a high intake of carbohydrate ( by consuming rice for 5,000 years). They are NOT adapted to overlaying that carb intake with mega loads of sugar from introduced western junk. To add a further load of carb from much higher milk consumption would create more problems. A balance of traditional diet with added dairy seems sensible, but only if the junk sugar, potato, crap carbs get the flick. This is a crisis for Thailand's future generations ( and today's kids)

Cow's milk only contains > 5% carbohydrate, as lactose. The rest is water and protein. It won't add much carbohydrate to a child's diet. Agree about re added sugar though, a habit they seem to have borrowed from the US diet.

Children would be better off being given goats milk, which is far superior to cows milk which can have detrimental effects on some children.

"Drink more milk"... coming from the countries leading milk producer. I think scientists already proved we do not need milk after our very early years, it is most important to toddlers and in fact causes health problems for adults.

From what I see in issan, the average Thai villager has no clue about basic health and nutrition, many kids I know survive almost entirely on freeze dried noodles, which have bugger all nutrients. Too many parents are more concerned with how to pay for a smart phone than seeing their kids eat properly.

EDUC <deleted> CATION!

• Like 2

Banning the sale of junk food and running the fast food companies out of the country would be a good start to a more healthy bunch of kids.

And reducing the dreadful habit that many Thais have of ladling extra sugar onto food, adding it to the dreadful excuse for bread they have here and generally going back to what is, in essence, a healthier diet than the Western model.

If I ever become resurrected, I want to come back as a Thai dentist! smile.png

Added to the issue with bread: it's not just the added sugar, although that tastes horrible, it's also the fact that much of the standard 'brown' bread is in fact simply coloured with molasses. It is not whole wheat bread at all. So some parents, believing they are making a healthy choice, are simply being conned

True. I LOVE my trips back to the UK, just so that I can eat decent, well-made proper granary or wholewheat bread.

One thing Thais are truly bad at is baking - bread especially, as well as the disgusting sugar and air-laden 'cakes'. Oh for a good fruit cake or malt loaf ...

It's VERY difficult to get proper bread here and if you can find it, it's terribly expensive and still not that good - but it can be found

Edited by Mister Fixit

O M G

How could Thai kids GET a lower I Q ??? whistling.gif

The ones around here are as thick as 2 short planks rolleyes.gif

It maybe the Farang fathers that are lowing the IQ's most drink to much and everyone knowns how stupid they are to have family when they came here to play

Must be true since they constantly fall off balconies in Pattaya.

Do you actually have anything to contribute to the thread other than stupid one line postings that have nothing to do with the Thread in general?

And can I just ask what this nonsense about drinking milk is all about?

Milk only provides the resources for strength in bones and other parts requiring calcium. It does not raise IQ, make one taller, slimmer ... where on earth do you people get these folk-remedy ideas?

If you can get kids drinking more milk and growing stronger muscles and bones, maybe they'll get off the couch floor and do something physical. It's also likely that as they drink more milk, they'll drink less sugar-laden beverages. So, while milk is not the magic bullet for the obesity problem, it's probably a step in the right direction.

And for chrissakes stop deep-frying everything. Even the omelets are deep fried here!

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

Given how Thai farmers love to pump more and more chemicals on their crops, eating more fruit and veg may actually make the problem worse due to the effects of pesticides and other chemicals that affect our growth and intellect. It might also explain the seemingly very high rates of cancer I see in villages like my wife's.

Milk? The biggest con of all time! 75% of the world is lactose intolerant!

You don't need milk to get calcium, not to mention the dairy farming industry is the cruelest part of the disgusting factory farming industry.

Moreover, 90% of the milk on shelves here contains 7%+ sugar a carton!

Watch this:

too many fat kids? true

too much junk food? true

drink more milk to stay healthy? big big BS! first of all I think at least 80% of Thai don't like milk without flavor, so they would drink sweetened milk! And in general, milk makes people sick, it was made for COWS!! The West still believes we need milk and it is healthy because the big companies made us believe that for xx years. Milk is NOT GOOD for the majority of people worldwide

• Like 1

For years I've been wondering if "something" has changed since I was a child. LOL Well alot has changed but re: milk consumption. I was given milk three times a day and maybe - if I was lucky b/f bed with a snack.

In Thailand I do not see ANYONE and especially children drinking milk. In the early am I see school children coming from home drinking sweet drinks e.g. soda etc. Why no milk? Is it lax parenting/economics/ ignorance ? What???

Is it lax parenting/economics/ ignorance ?

Yes & Yes & Yes, ( maybe two Yes's on the last one)

I didn't pay any attention to it untill my own son was born, now 3 years old.

As with everything Thais seem to take the easiest way, kid drinks coke, smiles and laughs = give him some more coke. Wife's cousins boy, same age as mine had coke put in a milk bottle from 6 months old. I had to pitch several fits over soft drinks, potato chips, candy, chocolate etc being shoveled into my boy. The women would look at me like I had horns on my head "But he LIKES it it" was there reply.

I nipped the soft drinks in the bud and gave my little guy juice instead, now he won't touch a fizzy drink, asks for water or juice instead. The women marvel at this and say its because he's half farang not due to any training or instruction or anything like that.

When my son turned 2 years old the wife asked it we should stop giving him milk. She said its normal in the village for people to stop milk (if there getting any at all) at two. From then on it's a diet of rice, sticky rice, little bits of meat and whatever candy the kids points to.

I said my guy will get milk until he's 18 years old, then he can decide. He loves the stuff thank god.

My boy 3 years old 13kg, slim healthy, runs around like a little terror, wears out a nanny, mom and dad every day and sleeps like a log.

Wife's cousin's boy, nicknamed Sumo because he so fat. No milk any candy he wants and weighs in at 22kg and has trouble breathing after running across the yard.

Do they see any correlation to this?

None what so ever.

Good post.

I had a similar situation with my daughter and my niece. They are the same age, 5y.o., but the niece is at least 50% heavier than my daughter.

She went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago to have caps put on some of her molars that have decayed away because of drinking sweet milk. Since then, they have taken some steps to improve her diet, but I fear she has a lot of bad eating habits that are going to be very difficult to overcome.

I think scientists already proved we do not need milk after our very early years[.]

We don't need a lot of things that we eat. That doesn't necessarily mean they are detrimental to our health. Nutritionists determine what the essential nutrients are, and it's left to us to choose which foods we should eat to get them.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

I agree with the fact that they/we all should eat more healty food to fix the obese and health related problems, the solution to low iq is not changing diet or "banning" sugar, fast food companies and kanom street vendors!!!!

how many students here read classic books or just books?!? can you compare the level of education with the rest of the world?!?

for sure, who was born stupid will stay stupid, but come on! if you don't even spend time to improve your culture and knowledge, how can you expect to become smarter?!? just drinking that special milk they sell?!?

Though I fully agree with the article that the kids have to eat more healthy and do more sports, I always think it's strange that the government want to promote milk so badly but the prices are 110% higher than my country in europe... than I still not talk about the taste of milk here

What country is that? Milk is heavily subsidized in the USA. It actually costs about $7 to make a gallon (about 3.8 liters) of milk in the USA but it sells for around $3.

Than it would make about 24 baht per liter is the usa thats really cheap. just scrolled through the supers in Holland and the going price for a liter is about 40 baht fresh milk with the cheapest I found being 31 baht per liter.

So yes my figure was slightly exaggerated unless you start to compare it to the average income of the people here and in Holland. my point was, that I think if the government really want the kids to be more healthy and alsways promote milk they should look into subsidising it as well same as the usa, which I think is good

They drink lots of milk in USA, but they're still obese and kids have lower IQ than kids in the past. So how will milk improve things here? Are they now trying to say you get fat by not drinking milk, and that drinking it makes you slim. Whole article is sadly lacking. Just a advert for milk, which Asian people should'nt be drinking anyway. Thailand is too hot for cows. It's not natural for humans to drank baby food of another species. Babies should be drinking their mother's breast milk not suckling a cow.

You're exactly right. Nature intended for calves to drink their mothers milk. It is very rich so that the calf can get big and fat. Not only are we drinking the milk that makes us big and fat, the farmers pump them full of hormones so that they will even produce more milk....and the children consume these hormones thru the cows milk. That is why little girls now are getting breast at such an early age and starting their women's cycle so early.

• Like 2

This is what's expected when your staple diet comes from daily dining at 7 Eleven.

I made a conscious effort to find nutritional/non sugar laden items in 7/11. The only things I could find were overpriced boiled eggs & packaged overpriced fruit.

CP seems to have the monopoly on processed cr*p. The Chearavanont family must sit there laughing there sacks off as they make billions from selling this dross. Cheap ingredients, no competition = massive profits.

Has there been any recent research into lactose intolerance in Asians?

As far as I am aware, they can drink as much milk as the like, but for the majority it will not do them any harm, but it won't do them any good either, just passes straight through.

Kids of mixed race parents Asian/Western, should have the milk-gene and can process it.

//edit

Just seen post 82 made while I was typing.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732607-overweight-low-iq-kids-a-wake-up-call-for-society/page-4#entry7943782

Thanks BandB

Edited by Thaddeus

7-11 thailand is a Thai company owned by Thais.

They aren't running anywhere. Whilst the sentiments of this survey are OK, it is pseudo advertising

CP seems to have the monopoly on processed cr*p. The Chearavanont family must sit there laughing there sacks off as they make billions from selling this dross. Cheap ingredients, no competition = massive profits.

Oh man, CP and their meat, if you can call it that. I'd love to go around schools showing kids how those little hotdogs and pork balls are made. How that is allowed to be fed to kids I will never know.

Has there been any recent research into lactose intolerance in Asians?

As far as I am aware, they can drink as much milk as the like, but for the majority it will not do them any harm, but it won't do them any good either, just passes straight through.

Kids of mixed race parents Asian/Western, should have the milk-gene and can process it.

//edit

Just seen post 82 made while I was typing.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732607-overweight-low-iq-kids-a-wake-up-call-for-society/page-4#entry7943782

Thanks BandB

There are different levels of intolerance, which is why people don't realise how it's affected them until they give it up. Yes, most people have the adapted "milk gene", but as someone already pointed out, cow milk is created by mother nature for the calf, not the human. What we put cows through to keep them lactating for our daily milk fix just shows humans for what they've become - disgusting, selfish beings.

Edited by kennypowers