Bangkok: Contaminated water makes 900 pupils, teachers sick

webfact

Sinking Bangkok to blame

The tanks were designed before Bangkok started sinking, yes.

Bangkok hav been sinking for decades. This is caused by the removal of underground water. There are laws covering the removal of of the water, but like most laws, they are not enforced. There are also laws covering the monitoring of water storage facilities. When was the last time the University had the system tested?

"He said that though relevant parties were sure they had completely removed the cause of the contamination, they planned to closely monitor the students and teachers' health for another week or two."

A week or two, nice and precise time line there. Can now see why the problem continued for a month.

The city finds itself in a catch-22 with the water situation. The water pressure is barely enough to reach the 3rd floor in most places. If the pressure were increased, pipes and fixtures everywhere would probably start leaking or burst. Residents have become accustomed to the low pressure and think nothing of using a half spool of teflon tape to patch leaky fittings. That kind of jerry-rig wouldn't hold up to a decent amount of pressure.

The city finds itself in a catch-22 with the water situation. The water pressure is barely enough to reach the 3rd floor in most places. If the pressure were increased, pipes and fixtures everywhere would probably start leaking or burst. Residents have become accustomed to the low pressure and think nothing of using a half spool of teflon tape to patch leaky fittings. That kind of jerry-rig wouldn't hold up to a decent amount of pressure.

Thanks. Thats the insight I was hoping for.

Thats really low pressure for a municipal system. So most businesses and residences have an auxiliary pump and pressure tank?

I haven't taken a census but I believe quite a few do. I believe it's illegal to connect a pump directly to the municipal water system without a storage tank in between. Too many pumps sucking on the water mains would cause negative pressure on the main service line and ground water would be drawn in through any microscopic cracks. Most developed countries closely monitor the water pressure and if it drops below some threshold, a 'boil water' alert is sent to affected residents. I recall this happening once or twice in Washington DC, when I lived there.

The need for water tanks isn't really a big problem, and it's not limited to Thailand. Almost any densely populated metropolis will have its buildings' rooftops sporting water storage tanks. Here's a view of lower Manhattan:

Schermafbeelding+2012-06-12+om+18.52.00.

The key is to inspect them periodically, and clean/filter where necessary.

I haven't taken a census but I believe quite a few do. I believe it's illegal to connect a pump directly to the municipal water system without a storage tank in between. Too many pumps sucking on the water mains would cause negative pressure on the main service line and ground water would be drawn in through any microscopic cracks. Most developed countries closely monitor the water pressure and if it drops below some threshold, a 'boil water' alert is sent to affected residents. I recall this happening once or twice in Washington DC, when I lived there.

The need for water tanks isn't really a big problem, and it's not limited to Thailand. Almost any densely populated metropolis will have its buildings' rooftops sporting water storage tanks. Here's a view of lower Manhattan:

The key is to inspect them periodically, and clean/filter where necessary.

In most parts of the US, those rooftop water tanks from 100 years ago are no longer in use but a google search shows your photo is still quite true in NYC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/nyregion/thecity/03wate.html?_r=1&

Thanks for the post. I always relied on a well on my own property (and rainwater catchment) so had not considered the obvious effect of depressurization on a public water supply without a tank upstream.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

The school knew about this for a few weeks before doing anything. Several students and teachers had to be admitted to the hospital for a few days as a result. They have now replaced the tanks to above ground and have run in a fresh line from the city lines to the tanks. The cause of the problem was an older building within the school grounds that supposedly is sinking (17 story building).

Hopefully other schools check their tanks and try to fix this problem quicker then BCC so students and staff don't end up in the hospital.

So what about the sinking 17 story building have foundation issues checked properly as well ?

Edited by Chao Lao Beach