Hodgson shields Rooney after opening defeat

Jonathan Fairfield

Hodgson shields Rooney after opening defeat

000_DV1764345.jpg

England's forward Wayne Rooney reacts during a Group D football match between England and Italy at the Amazonia Arena in Manaus - BEN STANSALL / AFP

England manager Roy Hodgson defended Wayne Rooney after the Manchester United striker was unable to prevent his team from losing 2-1 to Italy in their opening World Cup match.
Rooney began Saturday's game in Manaus on the left flank to accommodate Raheem Sterling, and although he teed up Daniel Sturridge for England's equaliser, he occasionally left left-back Leighton Baines exposed.
The 28-year-old also endured a frustrating night in front of goal, notably lashing one chance wide as England chased the game in the second half. Hodgson however said that he had performed admirably.
"We wanted to get Raheem Sterling around (Andrea) Pirlo because of his agility and that meant moving Wayne Rooney, and I thought he did well," Hodgson said after the Group D encounter at a humid Amazonia Arena.
"He set up the goal for us and worked hard, and did well when we moved him into the centre.
"There's always going to be one player with a big debate around him, but I think it's harsh for people to criticise his performance, because for me he played well."
Sturridge's goal, in the 37th minute, gave England parity after Claudio Marchisio had fired Italy in front two minutes earlier. But Mario Balotelli's header early in the second period proved decisive.
Sterling played a key role in the equaliser, freeing Rooney with an incisive pass to the left flank, and was a constant source of invention in the number 10 role.
The 19-year-old Liverpool forward's willingness to run at defenders sowed disarray in the Italian back-line at regular intervals, but Hodgson was reluctant to single him out for praise.
"We thought all the young players did well," he said.
"Sturridge had an exceptional time until he got a dead leg that forced him off; we thought Sterling was as bright as we'd hoped; (Ross) Barkley, when he came on, did some good things; Jack Wilshere showed all the right intentions; and we know what Danny Welbeck can give us.
"None of those players let me down. They all did what we were hoping they'd do, except of course score that equalising goal."
- England physio hospitalised -
England now find themselves playing catch-up ahead of their second game on Thursday against Uruguay, who were stunned 3-1 by Costa Rica in their own opening match.
While Saturday's result means that England no longer have any margin for error in their remaining two games, Hodgson was eager to underline that they remain in control of their own destiny.
"If you lose the first game, you know you have probably got to win the next two, but the teams you're playing have to win, too," he said.
"You can't drift to qualification. Italy have had the very best start, as have Costa Rica, and we and Uruguay are on the back foot, but we now play Uruguay and Costa Rica, so at least our fate is on our hands.
"It's up to us to produce the right type of performance that will give us victory."
Defeat for England was compounded by an unfortunate injury sustained by their physiotherapist, Gary Lewin, who dislocated his ankle as he celebrated Sturridge's goal and had to be taken to hospital.
"It was a very sad moment for us," Hodgson said.
"In celebrating the goal, he jumped up and landed on a water bottle and has dislocated his ankle. It was very, very painful and he was taken to hospital.
"Luckily the doctor was able to set it and put it back at the side of the field, but it's the end of the World Cup for Gary Lewin and a very sad moment for him and the team."
afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-15
thw/ch

He could try playing him in position and avoiding the need to defend him post match...

I can't understand why Rooney and Gerrard seem unable to come to the party at World Cups time after time, after time? Maybe we do hype them too much in the UK.....

• Like 2

Rooney has scored exactly how many goals in how many appearances in competitive internationals? What was the corner close to the end? 30 degrees behind the goal. I don't need to hear about bad surfaces....they all played on that surface and plenty of other players took corners from there without issue.

The big question is whether Hodgson will continue to play Rooney long enough for him to do something rash in his frustration and leave us with 10 men.

Rooney has scored exactly how many goals in how many appearances in competitive internationals? What was the corner close to the end? 30 degrees behind the goal. I don't need to hear about bad surfaces....they all played on that surface and plenty of other players took corners from there without issue.

The big question is whether Hodgson will continue to play Rooney long enough for him to do something rash in his frustration and leave us with 10 men.

Gerrard stated before the match, the pitch was perfect.

This is his third World Cup without finding the back of the net, No doubt a statistician somewhere knows how many minutes, hours, days or weeks that adds up to.

You seriously believe that Wayne Rooney is not world class?

On past England form in major European and international competitions, Rooney is not world class.

So if he was a free agent, non of the major teams would pick him up?

Isn't he the most scoring player for the national team?

So if you put Cavani as a goal keeper, he would be considered as not a class player anymore?

Rooney was Englands top scorer with 7 goals in the WC qualifying campaign

They (the ones on the bandwagon) don't want to read about that.

They already started to single out individuals to blame even before the Cup started.

Good old English blame culture.

Not amazing Thailand, but Amazing England (in a negative sense).

^ Yes winds me up too. Play him in the middle and he will score & knit things together. He was played out wide against Italy & provided a fantastic assist. Not his best game but he played his part.

If we don't leak goals then our young attacking threat could take us places.

• Like 1

Rooney was Englands top scorer with 7 goals in the WC qualifying campaign

Have a closer look at the opposition of those seven goals.

Have a look a Messi or Ronaldo's opposition in their campaigns. You can only piss with the cock you've got.

• Like 1

Anyone who has watched Rooney's career knows full well that a central position is where he is most effective,either up front or sitting in behind.

SAF started to put him on the left flank because there were few other player options to fill that role but he was never ever comfortable there.

Anyone who has ever played a full back role would know that what you fear most is a player coming at you with pace.Rooney is not blessed with pace but Sterling is, why he was not on the right flank is beyond me. Italy don't like playing against pacey flank men who can get in behind them. I consider Sterling would have created some havoc and more goal scoring opportunities for Sturridge and Rooney.

Several English pundits are saying that Rooney's miss on goal was the turning point in the game,nonsense, how about the defensive frailties.To single out one indiviual for a game they had expected to win or at least get a point is so English............got to have a whipping boy.

• Like 2

Anyone who has watched Rooney's career knows full well that a central position is where he is most effective,either up front or sitting in behind.

SAF started to put him on the left flank because there were few other player options to fill that role but he was never ever comfortable there.

Anyone who has ever played a full back role would know that what you fear most is a player coming at you with pace.Rooney is not blessed with pace but Sterling is, why he was not on the right flank is beyond me. Italy don't like playing against pacey flank men who can get in behind them. I consider Sterling would have created some havoc and more goal scoring opportunities for Sturridge and Rooney.

Several English pundits are saying that Rooney's miss on goal was the turning point in the game,nonsense, how about the defensive frailties.To single out one indiviual for a game they had expected to win or at least get a point is so English............got to have a whipping boy.

Spot on.

Maybe the Italians should take the opportunity to apologize to the Brits for:

"Actions damaging the public image of the British nation as a whole" whistling.gif

Surely, the Italians would seriously regret, what's happen to the British happiness cheesy.gif
cheesy.gif

Edited by JoeLing

You seriously believe that Wayne Rooney is not world class?

On past England form in major European and international competitions, Rooney is not world class.

Same could really also be said for Messi. Never delivered for Argentina anything like what he has delivered for Barca. Does that mean Messi is not world class?

Rooney couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo when it comes to the World Cup. Live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not arguing with his poor England form. Arguing with your assertion that poor form for the national side equals a not world class player. Plenty of examples of world class players who have, for one reason or another, failed to deliver on the international stage.
  • Like 1

What about the great whipped cross for Sturridge to score,on a sixpence.

Exactly, arguably the pass of the tournament so far. If that had been Becksie everyone would have been drooling over it..... except of course it couldn't as Rooney had not only beaten his man but crossed with his left foot. wink.png

Hodgson should look at where Rooney is most effective and play him there. Baines was hopelessly exposed and no matter how much Roy loves Wellbeck he doesn't scare teams like Rooney,

Rooney couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo when it comes to the World Cup. Live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not arguing with his poor England form. Arguing with your assertion that poor form for the national side equals a not world class player. Plenty of examples of world class players who have, for one reason or another, failed to deliver on the international stage.

Fully agree with you - got plenty of examples,coffee1.gif

Rooney 2010, Rooney 2012 and Rooney 2014 cheesy.gif