Genetically engineered banana to go through first human trial

webfact

GMO is not the way to to

The whole idea behind it is to allow the GMO crops to take over

Then when another plantation is infected with GMO pollens they become GMO

Until the non GMO is no longer

The sting is in the DNA as the once non GMO farmer now has a GMO crop and royalties have to be paid.

To WHOM?

post-6522-0-23697500-1402979599_thumb.jp

Edited by BlackJack

GMO is the alternative for bigger crops, which can grow in places with less percipitation, can protect themselves from insects etc... Or the old fashion way with lots and lots of insecticides which for sure have impacts on health and nature and possibly alter the DNA of the insects to God knows what.. Make your pick but remember every year there are more mouths to feed. And dont worry you will not develop leaves on your ears nor roots on your feed!

GMO is the alternative for bigger crops, which can grow in places with less percipitation, can protect themselves from insects etc... Or the old fashion way with lots and lots of insecticides which for sure have impacts on health and nature and possibly alter the DNA of the insects to God knows what.. Make your pick but remember every year there are more mouths to feed. And dont worry you will not develop leaves on your ears nor roots on your feed!

Though the Monsanto company touted GMO as producing higher yields, the actual production numbers disagreed. Production is at best equal to and often lower than the traditional way when kept track past the first year or two.

Pesticides are also supposedly used less on the GMO, however, after several years they are used much more due to resistive 'super bugs' that developed due to the GMO crops. Stronger pesticides must then be used than were traditionally called for.

Herbicides are used on GMO crops to a much higher extent as that is what they are designed for, to sell the Monsanto product Round Up since they are genetically modified to resist this chemical. Crops that have already emerged and are standing in the field can now be sprayed with more herbicide thus eliminating most weeds, however, now in the USA this practice has developed 'super weeds' that dominate fields are cannot be controlled with Round Up.

Organic farming is the only known sustainable way to insure food for the growing populations.

People do not have to worry about leaves on ears or roots on their feet, however, many studies show that they do need to be concerned about developing an entire array of deadly diseases such as cancer etc by ingesting GMO foods.

• Like 1

Dear "leesgems", indeed a lot of scientists and ecological groups share your opinion. I just wonder, if all this is true why the USA crops are nearly 100% GMO?

Hi luk thaivisa,

Huge profit is an obvious reason, however, there are many that believe it goes much deeper, the reduction and/or elimination of population. According to this theory, the less than 1% elite class have promoted GMO by lobbying, occupying government offices with their administrators, employing the most powerful lawyers etc in order not to simply make profit but to reduce the world population by about 90% thus leaving more room and more resources for themselves.

I do not say that this is a fact as there would certainly be no paper trail to prove it, however, how does one explain the obesity and the disease rate that we find in the states? How do we explain the huge and recent increase in health and weight problems right here in Thailand?

Would caring individuals do something like that to simply make more money when they are already the most wealthy on the planet or is there a hidden agenda?

The US is a big target as they are perhaps the most powerful and influential nation. 64 countries have made GMO labeling laws but the USA has none. Millions of dollars are spent to prevent labeling laws from passing in the USA every year. IF they have a good product, wouldn't they want it on the label?

At first I missed the word "trial" and found the headline rather special..... I.e. one wonders what the outcome was.

I am very concerned about these attempts to modify nature. Why not simple cross bananas the old fashion way to get the desired results? Takes a bit longer, but is probably safer.

The old way has been happening for thousands of years, cross breeding, selective breeding etc... GmM just takes waway the pot luck and long waiting times.

I personally think its great and cant wait for GM to be acepted generally. Most people who are against it are the ones who have not read up on the subject.

I disagree. You obviously are unaware of the major diseases we now face from,crossing genes. I am not giving explanations to ignorant people as I don't have enough years left
  • Like 2

At first I missed the word "trial" and found the headline rather special..... I.e. one wonders what the outcome was.

I am very concerned about these attempts to modify nature. Why not simple cross bananas the old fashion way to get the desired results? Takes a bit longer, but is probably safer.

The old way has been happening for thousands of years, cross breeding, selective breeding etc... GmM just takes waway the pot luck and long waiting times.

I personally think its great and cant wait for GM to be acepted generally. Most people who are against it are the ones who have not read up on the subject.

I disagree. You obviously are unaware of the major diseases we now face from,crossing genes. I am not giving explanations to ignorant people as I don't have enough years left

I can appreciate your point of view. As an organic farmer I have been watching this GMO nightmare unfold for over 15 years and it shocks me when I run into people with this attitude.

http://www.naturalnews.com/030828_GMOs_Wikileaks.html

The cable reveals the words of Craig Stapleton, the US ambassador to France, who was pushing the commercial interests of the biotech industry by attempting to force GMOs into France. In his own words (below), he expresses his frustration with the idea that France might pass environmental laws that would hamper the expansion of GMOs:

"Europe is moving backwards not forwards on this issue with France playing a leading role, along with Austria, Italy and even the [European] Commission... Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voice."

GM no thanks....test on the poor or stupid people first...then see the real problems 20 years down the road

Just to bring you up to speed...ALL bananas are genetically modified. Have been for centuries. They don't and cant reproduce naturally.

Fullstop, thanks alot for shedding light on this fact since I had no idea.

I just found this link that describes the unfortunate sex life of the banana a bit more. I can't vouch for the claims that are made but the historical context is interesting.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0719-02.htm

Every domesticated plant or animal that provides us with foodstuffs or commodities has been genetically modified over time to create ideal production levels in terms of quantity and/or quality. Most landscapes you see around the world have been materially impacted by humans.

Welcome to the Anthropocene era, hopefully not the last one!

Welcome to you, I have been here awhile and I saved you a seat ;-)

As someone who was raised on a farm, I can vouchfor mankinds manipulation through selective breeding, but you might want to read up on bananas because they are an extreme case and cannot exist without mans active participation in their reproduction. This is not true with any other plant or animal that I am aware of.

Although one might argue that certain hybrids lack the ability to reproduce, the entire species is not at risk of disappearing.

Opinions welcome.

I just found this link that describes the unfortunate sex life of the banana a bit more. I can't vouch for the claims that are made but the historical context is interesting.

Every domesticated plant or animal that provides us with foodstuffs or commodities has been genetically modified over time to create ideal production levels in terms of quantity and/or quality. Most landscapes you see around the world have been materially impacted by humans.

As someone who was raised on a farm, I can vouchfor mankinds manipulation through selective breeding, but you might want to read up on bananas because they are an extreme case and cannot exist without mans active participation in their reproduction. This is not true with any other plant or animal that I am aware of.

Although one might argue that certain hybrids lack the ability to reproduce, the entire species is not at risk of disappearing.

Opinions welcome.

As someone who still lives on a farm, you might want to reread my post as I did not claim that all farmed animals/products need man's participation in their reproduction, merely that humans have shaped all domesticated plants/animals and will continue to do so to ensure that humanity is fed, and that much of the landscape also bears the imprint of human activity, hence the Anthropocene era label.

Opinions welcome.

As someone who still lives on a farm, you might want to reread my post as I did not claim that all farmed animals/products need man's participation in their reproduction, merely that humans have shaped all domesticated plants/animals and will continue to do so to ensure that humanity is fed, and that much of the landscape also bears the imprint of human activity, hence the Anthropocene era label.

Cool your jets, folium, I am a fan of your posts and not one of the crowd looking to argue. I was taken aback by your original response which seemed to be more lecture than conversation. Apologies if I was wrong.

Since we both share an interest in agriculture, perhaps you will forgive me my surprise that the banana is not just another example of human manipulation of genestock, but rather an extreme example of the shortsightedness that can occasionally occur in our efforts to encourage desirable characteristics in plants and animals.

I had only thought you might find the matter interesting. Perhaps you are already well versed and I would welcome specifics on the demise of the banana...and your farming experience with bananas.

Cheers

@ClutchClark

Sorry quotes keep messing up....

In response to your post.....

Not many bananas grow in these parts...that would take some considerable amount of global warming!

Apologies if I came over somewhat professorial, never been one for much small talk!

My interest in this thread is simple. We live in a world already and increasingly shaped by human actions both intended and not.

Some 5 million children died in 2013 due to malnutrition. Almost a third of children in developing nations suffer from stunted development due to undernutrition.

Even if GMOs can have a beneficial impact on only some of these deaths and life changing events, it is better than doing nothing.

How many children in 2013 died from consuming GMOs?

• Like 2

I am a little skeptical about GMO foods in general, but not convinced that we can continue to feed the enormous world population with out them. In the case of the banana, it looks like we have already taken away it's ability to survive on its own, so further modifications are probably less dangerous. If it can't reproduce itself, then it's not like it's going to suddenly go native.

Aren't there any wild bananas somewhere in some remote forest? They had to come from somewhere.

• Like 1

@ClutchClark

Sorry quotes keep messing up....

In response to your post.....

Not many bananas grow in these parts...that would take some considerable amount of global warming!

Apologies if I came over somewhat professorial, never been one for much small talk!

My interest in this thread is simple. We live in a world already and increasingly shaped by human actions both intended and not.

Some 5 million children died in 2013 due to malnutrition. Almost a third of children in developing nations suffer from stunted development due to undernutrition.

Even if GMOs can have a beneficial impact on only some of these deaths and life changing events, it is better than doing nothing.

How many children in 2013 died from consuming GMOs?

Folium, I always look for your avatar when I am perusing posts. I like your opinions.

I have some concerns about GMO's but I understand what you are saying.

Mostly, I am simply fascinated by the banana plant, including this news about its reproductive issue.

In BKK, I see banana plants often, I would have thought Thailand was a good environment. Like zi say, lots to learn.

Cheers

I am a little skeptical about GMO foods in general, but not convinced that we can continue to feed the enormous world population with out them. In the case of the banana, it looks like we have already taken away it's ability to survive on its own, so further modifications are probably less dangerous. If it can't reproduce itself, then it's not like it's going to suddenly go native.

Aren't there any wild bananas somewhere in some remote forest? They had to come from somewhere.

Credo, exactly. There are so many varieties of banana and plantain. Maybe its just the most popular cultivars this happened to.

With GMO, I am concerned about cross-contamination but also how our human bodies respond to these protein sources. Also the issues GMO have on pollinating insects like bees, etc..

• Like 1

GM no thanks....test on the poor or stupid people first...then see the real problems 20 years down the road

Just to bring you up to speed...ALL bananas are genetically modified. Have been for centuries. They don't and cant reproduce naturally.

No genetically modified, selective breeding and crosses. The concern with genetic modification as has been pointed out is the very real nasty products which are being introduced into our food stuffs. Resistance to roundup and insecticides being genetically engineered into the food we consume would never happen with selective breeding.

• Like 1

Fungus Threatens Banana supply

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/fungus-threatens-banana-supply-n85971

do a google search and you will see what they are trying to do is a GOOD thing , and if it works will keep bananas available for the future......

History is full of good intentions gone wrong due to unintended consequences that simply were not considered or known when introduced. Sometimes the damage was not identified for several years after.

• Like 1

Fungus Threatens Banana supply

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/fungus-threatens-banana-supply-n85971

do a google search and you will see what they are trying to do is a GOOD thing , and if it works will keep bananas available for the future......

History is full of good intentions gone wrong due to unintended consequences that simply were not considered or known when introduced. Sometimes the damage was not identified for several years after.

History is also filled with many success's that doubled yields or helped with drought resistant crops,

many less starving people because of this , but maybe this was an unintended consequences that increased the worlds population and brought more problems

But I think the Banana work is very important because of the fungus threat