Any Sarasas teacher – what are the Oct 2014 school holiday dates please?

There will be different dates for the students than for the teachers. Are you a teacher or a parent trying to book a holiday?

They will get the date fixed for the students probably reasonably soon, but the teachers sometimes have a very short holiday.

There will be different dates for the students than for the teachers. Are you a teacher or a parent trying to book a holiday?

They will get the date fixed for the students probably reasonably soon, but the teachers sometimes have a very short holiday.

I'm a parent.

Are you saying term dates are not fixed for students BEFORE the term starts?

One of our students has a brother who attends a nearby Sarasas school and I know the parent. I will check and see if they have a school calendar with the term dates. I know that family often has to coordinate between two schools in planning for breaks, so they are pretty good and getting the information from both schools.

Scott, many thanks for your assistance.

The wife rang our Sarasas school and was told that the school holiday STARTED on 27 October which I do not believe.

I got one of my kids to ask one of the English teachers for his email, and the teacher has informed me that he thinks the end of this term will be on 8th October, and the following term will start around the 24th October, but he will check further for me. Those dates sound about right and are similar to earlier years. If he informs me of ‘firm’ dates I will post them here.

The 8th of October sounds very late for the students. It sounds about right for the teachers, though.

I believe they usually come back the last week in October because unlike some of the gov't schools they get a bit of a break at Christmas.

I spoke with a friend who asked the administration of one of the schools. Apparently, there is a governing board of the schools that will set the dates for the exams. Once the students have finished the exams they will be dismissed, but they don't have the date for it. No idea when they will decide.

A friend of my wife, whose farlang husband also wants to take his family home during the October school holiday, called the school and was told the October school holiday is from 4th until 26th.

In the follow-up email advice to me from the English teacher (he still hasn’t confirm the start of the October school holiday but based on his last email it would start on 9th) he has added:

• The final exams for this semester are on the 25th and 26th September.
  • The end of this term will be on October 8th [i’ve asked him could he confirm this date]
  • School re-starts on the 27th October.
  • The Xmas hols begin on Christmas Eve and the kids return on the 5th January.
  • The school year then ends on the 24th March 2015.

So it sounds like the October school holiday is from a date between 4th to 9th until 26th.

It remains incredible to me that Thai schools don’t set and announce all the exam dates, term dates, etc, BEFORE the school year starts! They seem NOT to consider the parents at all and announce dates as and whenever they feel like it. T.I.T.!

Thai schools don’t set and announce all the exam dates, term dates, etc, BEFORE the school year starts! They seem NOT to consider the parents at all and announce dates as and whenever they feel like it. T.I.T.!

I know that this forum has a no-naming-and-shaming policy, so I won't add anything to this comment, but some Thai schools DO have their calendar set by the beginning of the school year.

I was sent a schedule for the school I teach at for all of the 2014-2015 school year on April 23rd.

Edited by otherstuff1957

Yes, I know some schools do set a calendar and they stick to it and it makes sense. Other schools don't set a calendar until the last minute and then it doesn't make sense and has to be changed. Planning is not the operative word for many schools.

Part of the problem is that some schools seem to think that all of their students are 100% Thai, no foreign blood or parentage, and no plan to ever go any further than Chiang Mai or Phuket.

That is changing and schools need to have pressure put on them to do forward planning.

• Like 1

They usually write their midterm examinations around the 25th of September, differs only a little bit from school to school.

Tests are held for three days, then kids are dismissed.

You can be sure that your child will be "off" from end of September until end of October, sometimes school starts on first of November again.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Last year, the Sarasas school near me went until the first week in October and they started the last week of October.

I believe they get a break from Christmas through the New Years Holiday, though.