Rooney asked to train with substitutes - FA

Jonathan Fairfield

Rooney asked to train with substitutes - FA

000_DV1767190.jpg

England's forward Wayne Rooney and England's midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain take part in a training session at the Urca military base in Rio de Janeiro on June 16 - BEN STANSALL / AFP

The Football Association has reacted to speculation about striker Wayne Rooney's place in the England team by explaining that he trained with back-up players at his own request on Monday.
Playing in an unfavoured left-sided role, Rooney produced a subdued display as England lost 2-1 to Italy in their opening World Cup game in Manaus on Saturday.
He trained alongside the substitutes from that match at England's Rio de Janeiro training base on Monday, prompting reports in the British media that he may be dropped for his side's second Group D game against Uruguay on Thursday.
But in a statement on Twitter, the FA said that the Manchester United striker was merely eager to maintain peak fitness between matches.
"Contrary to reports, WayneRooney requested additional training and worked with a wider group of players on Monday," it said.
"Following a recovery session on Sunday a number of players continued two-day post-match recovery on Monday. Rooney was not in that group."
England coach Gary Neville has praised Rooney's willingness to play on the left and declared that manager Roy Hodgson's back-room staff were more than happy with his performance against Italy.
"Can Wayne play on the left? I've seen him play in England games past on the left, I've seen him play for Manchester United on the left," Neville told ITV.
"He's played there I don't know how many times in the last six or seven years, because you need to accommodate different players and different systems.
"He's a team player. He will sacrifice himself for the team. In terms of performance, not one of the coaching staff came off thinking that Rooney had played badly at all."
afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-17
thw/rcw

Rooney is at his most effective playing behind the main striker(s). Anyone with half a footballing brain knows that, but clearly the England management think that any player can be played 'out of position' and still be effective. Afraid not, Woy. And then they try and cover it up, all singing off the same song sheet as if we're idiots that know nothing about football.

Even at park level it holds true - you can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear.

Without Rooney, we would be cheering on Montenegro against Uruguay !

Yep, and who put that supurb pass accross to set up Englands goal??

One cross from a 'left winger' in the whole of the match is really abysmal. I have no beef about Rooney, he's a quality player, but he was played 'out of position'. He's not a left-winger, bottom line.

It was clear that England had no game plan, the tactics were dreadful. And none of the players had a clue how to break down Italy. No point trying to batter a way through the heart of a packed defence - it should have been clear that balls should have been played wide and then crossed into the penalty box. Watch Van Gaal at work, his reading of the game is superb.

Sterling, regarded as our best player, flattered to deceive - and falling short. I didn't see any crosses he made, because he didn't. To beat Uruguay we need to know how.

One cross from a 'left winger' in the whole of the match is really abysmal. I have no beef about Rooney, he's a quality player, but he was played 'out of position'. He's not a left-winger, bottom line.

Well.... how about one goal from a World Cup-quality team in 90 minutes? Is that abysmal? I'm no football guru and usually watch football under protest except every four years, but I was quite impressed by that very excellent England goal, cross and finish both (and together). As for the other 89.9 minutes, was there something better that I blinked and missed?

I admit my second greatest entertainment in that game was Rooney's corner kick out of the grounds, stadium and, apparently Manaus.