Ulysses Club Thailand formation and Inaugural Meeting

Celtica

On the long term the club would need "subbranches" in Bangkok (or maybe Pattaya?) and Phuket. And maybe in the northeast too (Khon Kaen) if there are enough people interested.

I like the idea behind it, especially that its not limited to any kind of bike and even scooters are welcome, thats interesting and sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the long term the club would need "subbranches" in Bangkok (or maybe Pattaya?) and Phuket. And maybe in the northeast too (Khon Kaen) if there are enough people interested.

I like the idea behind it, especially that its not limited to any kind of bike and even scooters are welcome, thats interesting and sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the positive comments and realistic geographic suggestions which I will note for future reference as (hopefully) the club expands. With respect to the size/type of bike thing, I have considered the possibility of 'staggered' rides, with two groups setting out for the same destination. This would allow for scooter riders to travel at their own pace and guys on big bikes to set their own, usually much faster average speed. This will avoid the frustrations that can arise with mismatched bikes, something incidentally that I saw plenty of when riding with mixed groups in Australia.

It would also help avoid the possibility of people on slower bikes riding out of their comfort zone to keep up with guys riding quicker, which when combined with a bit of 'red mist' is a common cause for avoidable accidents-something that we have all seen and which is hardly the best way to finish what set out to be a fun ride, not the downer of watching a fellow rider sent off in an ambulance, or worse, as I have witnessed too often. I am sure you will all agree!

• Like 1

Please note the following Agenda for the Inaugural Meeting to be held 25th. June @ Loco Elvis Restaurant Chiang Mai commencing 12 noon with food/drinks available:

Inaugural Meeting

25 June 2014

Agenda

1. Introduction and welcome (David Thomson-Harry)

2. Apologies

3. Minutes

4. Purpose of Inaugural Meeting

5. Discussion/questions/ discuss future activities of Ulysses Club Thailand

6. Appointment/election of Club Office Bearers

• President (essential)
  • Treasurer (essential)
  • Secretary (essential)
  • Recruitment Officer (highly desirable)
  • Quartermaster/Purchasing Officer
  • International Liaison
  • Web site Manager
  • Ride Co-ordinator

7. Discuss the adoption the Constitution of Ulysses Club Inc as a model for the Ulysses Club Thailand

8. Discuss the creation of a Ulysses Club Logo for subsequent submission to the National Committee of Ulysses Club for approval

9. Application for sanctioning of Ulysses Club Thailand by National Committee of Ulysses Club

10. General discussion

11. Future meetings

12. Close

Sounds like a good idea and a club that i would like to join, but as said before, Chiang Mai is just too far away. I live in Samut Prakarn, south of Bkk.

Yes I understand the geographic 'challenges' that we face here, and as i posted to another rider, we will look at how we might establish regional branches over time. I cannot promise that this will be achieved in the immediate future, as just getting the main group happening will a real challenge. I will establish a Ulysses Club forum soon on which I will endeavor to keep everyone informed of all developments. It would also be great to set up a web site, but that to is on the wish list and will depend on member's interest. A Bangkok or similar branch would make absolute sense, so keep in touch Biker Bob

• Like 1

Sounds like a good idea and a club that i would like to join, but as said before, Chiang Mai is just too far away. I live in Samut Prakarn, south of Bkk.

Yes I understand the geographic 'challenges' that we face here, and as i posted to another rider, we will look at how we might establish regional branches over time. I cannot promise that this will be achieved in the immediate future, as just getting the main group happening will a real challenge. I will establish a Ulysses Club forum soon on which I will endeavor to keep everyone informed of all developments. It would also be great to set up a web site, but that to is on the wish list and will depend on member's interest. A Bangkok or similar branch would make absolute sense, so keep in touch Biker Bob

Will do.

Just to keep all who are interested 'in the loop' as I indicated I would, by some strange turn of events another rider (Grant) has made initial contact with the Ulysses Club in Australia re the formation of a club here in Thailand. He has been given my contact details so I await his email with considerable interest, not knowing at this time where he lives.

Should this in fact prove to be somewhere other than Chiang Mai, this would leave open the possibility of the previously discussed possibility of establishing branches of the Ulysses Club in at least two regions in Thailand, something that would definitely be in all riders' interests. I will post an update on this as soon as I here from Grant and when I am better able to gauge his position on this matter.

Regards to all....Dave

Does the licence have to be Thai , Foreign or International. I can see that as a breaking point for some here.

The origin of the motorcycle licence is not specified-some will hold one or more of the above that you correctly mentioned. The important thing here is that members are holders of a legal licence, or in the case of disabled/infirm ex riders, did so in the past. Special exemptions are available to cover these eventualities, which I see as being absolutely fair and reasonable. From my point of view, I currently hold Australian and International m/cycle licences, and will soon add a Thai one to the list. In a few months my International Licence will expire and I will probably not renew it, as I see no real purpose in doing so.

Hey David and members,

Grant here, Just signed up, I really like the idea in setting up a branch of the Ulysses club in either Jomtien or Kanchanaburi.....I am tending to go with Kanchanaburi, is has excellent roads north to Sangkhlaburi and surrounding areas and many interesting places for day rides, Hell fire pass, Erawan falls and many more.

I will discuss it over a few beers with a mate and see his thoughts on the matter.

cheers all...

Kanchanaburi would definately get my vote...

If you are planning rides in the Kanchanaburi area and don't mind others to join in please post :-)

• Like 1

Hey David and members,

Grant here, Just signed up, I really like the idea in setting up a branch of the Ulysses club in either Jomtien or Kanchanaburi.....I am tending to go with Kanchanaburi, is has excellent roads north to Sangkhlaburi and surrounding areas and many interesting places for day rides, Hell fire pass, Erawan falls and many more.

I will discuss it over a few beers with a mate and see his thoughts on the matter.

cheers all...

If you are planning rides in the Kanchanaburi area and don't mind others to join in please post :-)

Hi Ninja4me. Thanks for the positive input which is appreciated. What a timely turn of events with Grant bursting onto the scene right in an area that had been previously discussed as being a prime area for further development of the Ulysses Club. This will afford riders in the south an opportunity to join in on club events and provide the chance to 'try before you buy' with respect to joining the club. This is something that is routinely done in Australia and certainly a fair approach, as would attending monthly club meetings to get a sense of who you might be associating with when riding. They also provides additional opportunities for social exchanges and gaining an understanding of any other club activities which might be on the agenda. Cheers mate

• Like 1

Kanchanaburi sounds good. Not too far away from Sunny Samut Prakarn 555. Good luck Celtica.

Thanks Biker Bob and please note comments to Ninja4me which apply also. Cheers mate

• Like 1

Hey David and members,

cheers all...

Hey Ninja,

For me, once started up, you are more than welcome to join on a ride without being a member....

Fileep, Celtica

Thanks for your positive replies. I'm looking forward to learn about the progress regarding establishing Ulysses in Thailand.

I think that most people don't mind signing up and paying a member fee at all, as long as they know what they are signing up for. With the attitude you are showing I am sure this will be a success.

• Like 2

1 thing I see that is going to be a problem is the Australian prices for membership and merchandise.....

I have no idea what is the Australian price for membership but I would imagine that if one has to pay the equivalent here in Thailand, there might not be so many willing or able to.

• Like 1

1 thing I see that is going to be a problem is the Australian prices for membership and merchandise.....

I have no idea what is the Australian price for membership but I would imagine that if one has to pay the equivalent here in Thailand, there might not be so many willing or able to.

This is a very real issue which will be the subject of discussion with the National Committee Nat Com) in Australia. The subject was raised at today's Inaugural Meeting, which was well attended (10 riders came, with one apology), with the membership requesting that membership prices and charges be 'staggered' over a 3 year period, or waived completely during the first year of the Club's operation to encourage new members. Both proposals will be tendered to Nat Com in the very near future.

For your information, membership is $120.00 for 3 years.Feedback from attendees at today's meeting was somewhat mixed, with some more than happy to pay the membership fee, whilst others felt the cost a little high.

Merchandise prices, whilst quite reasonable in Australia ,might well attract the attention of Thai authorities, and if then taxed further, become unaffordable to many (most) members. This too will need to be raised with Nat Com.to see if there is any way past this obstacle. One option would be to have visiting members bring selected items back as personal luggage, but this could prove unreliable and too slow and infrequent to meet the needs of purchasers.

This is a very real issue which will be the subject of discussion with the National Committee Nat Com) in Australia. The subject was raised at today's Inaugural Meeting, which was well attended (10 riders came, with one apology), with the membership requesting that membership prices and charges be 'staggered' over a 3 year period, or waived completely during the first year of the Club's operation to encourage new members. Both proposals will be tendered to Nat Com in the very near future.

For your information, membership is $120.00 for 3 years.Feedback from attendees at today's meeting was somewhat mixed, with some more than happy to pay the membership fee, whilst others felt the cost a little high.

Merchandise prices, whilst quite reasonable in Australia ,might well attract the attention of Thai authorities, and if then taxed further, become unaffordable to many (most) members. This too will need to be raised with Nat Com.to see if there is any way past this obstacle. One option would be to have visiting members bring selected items back as personal luggage, but this could prove unreliable and too slow and infrequent to meet the needs of purchasers.

No matter what you pay for, the price should reflect the value of what you get in return - otherwise the price is wrong. So at present I find it difficult to tell whether the price is right - but $120 doesn't buy much theese days.

If there was one thing about the price issue I should comment on it would be the mandatory $60 extra fee for non australian residents to cover postage for the 'Riding on' magazine. I find it strange that it is mandatory and that the magazine is not available online - or distributed locally.

No matter what you pay for, the price should reflect the value of what you get in return - otherwise the price is wrong. So at present I find it difficult to tell whether the price is right - but $120 doesn't buy much theese days.

If there was one thing about the price issue I should comment on it would be the mandatory $60 extra fee for non australian residents to cover postage for the 'Riding on' magazine. I find it strange that it is mandatory and that the magazine is not available online - or distributed locally.

I agree that the international pricing for all items including merchandise and membership should be affordable and relevant to the country in which you reside, but estimating this cost would doubtless be a complex issue with many opinions as to what constitutes 'good value'. But as previously stated, this and a number of Thai specific issues will be taken up with Nat Com in Australia in the very near future.

• Like 1

Fellow riders:

The Minutes of the Inaugural Meeting of the Ulysses Club Thailand are available should you require a copy. Please email me and a copy will dispatched by return email.

Cheers Dave

• Like 1

Please note:

1. A draft copy of the proposal for sanctioning by the Ulysses Club National Committee in Australia, which if successful will result in the formal establishment of the Ulysses Club Thailand is currently being reviewed by the Club's International Liaison Henry Rokx. Upon confirmation of the acceptability of our proposal a formal application will be lodged.

2. Also, by way of a further update, a Club Logo is currently being designed by a local Chiang Mai graphic designer, which when accepted by the local Club membership, will also be forwarded tot he Ulysses Club National Committee in Australia for their endorsement.

3. A number of constitutions are being looked at by local members with a view to the adoption of that which is deemed most suitable to the needs of the Club in Thailand.

I am aware that all of the above sounds highly bureaucratic, but it is a necessary part of the process for officially forming a Ulysses Club in Thailand.

Best wishes to all

Dave

Good luck Dave! I look forward to riding one day with you guys (I qualify as I'm 53 this year :))

• Like 2