No problems encountered on first day of checkpoints against bad taxi behavior: Bangkok

webfact

No problems encountered on first day of checkpoints against bad taxi behavior

PNECO570620001000201_20062014_102406.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 June 2014 (NNT) – Military officials overseeing the drive to improve regulation of the taxi service at Bangkok's two main airports reported no problems on the first day the checkpoints were set up for the particular purpose.

Major General Niran Samutsakhon, commissioner of the 11th Military Circle and the head of the National Council for Peace and Order's initiative to improve taxi service, on Thursday met with the owner of the company responsible for arranging taxi queues and security at Don Mueang Airport.

After their discussion, Maj. Gen. Niran said there was an issue of inadequate number of cabs at Don Mueang during periods after peak flight arrivals. There was also an issue of expenses borne by taxi drivers. There were, however, no issues relating to airport mafias.

Checkpoints were set up on Thursday by officials from the Land Transport Department and the military at pilot locations in Bangkok, which included the two airports, the Victory Monument and the BTS/MRT interchange stations.

Officials at the checkpoints were looking out for taxis charging outside of the meter, turning down passengers and using rigged meters.

According to Maj. Gen. Niran, the longer term solution to the taxi queue issue at Suvarnabhumi will involve an automated queuing system where all taxi drivers at the airport would be required to carry electronic cards in order to prevent them from choosing their passengers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-20 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I have never had a taxi use a meter from the taxi stand. They always tell me no meters for trips out of Bangkok. My 1 hour journey costs 700bt + tolls; i have never had any cause for complaints.

....................... there was an issue of inadequate number of cabs at Don Mueang during periods after peak flight arrivals................

Well of course,

the "no meter" taxis who normally stay in the parallel lane, were not there while the check was done.

• Like 1

I have never had a taxi use a meter from the taxi stand. They always tell me no meters for trips out of Bangkok. My 1 hour journey costs 700bt + tolls; i have never had any cause for complaints.

Trust me if you knew the real price for that 1 hour trip + tolls you might have cause for complaint rather quickly

And anyway mafia elements will just bide their time like the red shirts are doing and then once the army step back the nonsense will begin again

Edited by bkkgooner
  • Like 2

700 baht for a 1 hour trip does not strike me as being very expensive. Going on a longer journey outside bangkok usually is against a fixed price.

Most times there is a plastic card somewhere in the taxi stating prices and distances to cities outside Bangkok.

I always take a taxi from the airport taxistand to Trat for a fixed price of 3500 baht. As far as I know it is the official price. That's a 3 1/2 hour trip, one-way.

I find that more than reasonable.

Sorry, 700bt from where to where?

What about the "Official Taxis" that attack you in the airport and inside the customs baggage area as well.

What about them?

There are expensive Limo services at most airports if you want to go that route.

Except their idea of a limo is a Camry.

• Like 1

I have also like a few others never had a problem with this but I suspect I am not the targeted tourist customer as I generally know where I am going and how much it costs.

Occasionally when I pick up visitors to they airport I have to block a few limo touts. As the taxi rank is on a different level from arrivals it creates opportunity for touts.

Clear information including pricing information may be a better cure than anything else here, I did also notice that in Chang Mai they now do fixed price to downtown, it is a bit of an inflated price but you know exactly what you are getting.

Edited by Bangel72

I land at swampy I go down to the first floor I walk over to the taxi queue the lady asks me where am I going how many are travelling I get in the taxi and get to my destination.

Never had a problem even when I have a few travelling with me with golf clubs a suitable vehicle is always found.

No problems at anytime as a matter of fact I find the system terrific.

You are not a taxi driver are you?

The problems are with over-charging and it does happen, and also violence against other 'legit' drivers from illegal ones.

Not everyone knows where the best place to grab a taxi in the airport is.

They wander out of the wrong exit on the wrong level, and find they are charged 1500 baht just to get to Asoke or worse, and the taxi isn't even allowed to be picking up.

Those are the problems being dealt with.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry, 700bt from where to where?

Airport to Chachoengsao.

You are very smart, we know that well, but an "1 hour journey" 's price is around 200 - 230 B. But you are satisfied, and this is pretty good.

• Like 1

What about the "Official Taxis" that attack you in the airport and inside the customs baggage area as well.

What about them?

There are expensive Limo services at most airports if you want to go that route.

Except their idea of a limo is a Camry.

What about them???

They are just a bunch of aggressive drivers bothering you....

You are very smart, we know that well, but an "1 hour journey" 's price is around 200 - 230 B. But you are satisfied, and this is pretty good.

an one hour trip in traffic maybe, but you wane say with a meter taxi you could get to Pattaya for 550 bath??

wake up......

I have also like a few others never had a problem with this but I suspect I am not the targeted tourist customer as I generally know where I am going and how much it costs.

Occasionally when I pick up visitors to they airport I have to block a few limo touts. As the taxi rank is on a different level from arrivals it creates opportunity for touts.

Clear information including pricing information may be a better cure than anything else here, I did also notice that in Chang Mai they now do fixed price to downtown, it is a bit of an inflated price but you know exactly what you are getting.

Yes, it might be a fixed price to Downtown Chiang Mai, and I can never have it explained to me why they charge 30% more to go around the corner, thru Wing 41 and down Canal Rd. It's right opposite the passenger terminal on the other side of the airport. Much closer.

I've lived in Bangkok (Silom) for nearly 10 years.....A few times they quote a price as we are leaving airport and try not to use the meter. I just tell them I'm not a tourist and turn on the meter. Once earlier this year I could tell the meter was running too fast because it changed before we left the airport....when I got home the meter was 100 B too high...I gave him choice to accept normal fare or I would report him (which I should have done anyway)- He accepted the normal fare.

I never saw any trace of the mafia problem but maybe this would be visible to only those traveling outside of Bangkok.

Touts at many airports around the world and difficult to police. And yes, they are annoying.

When they ask me, I find a direct look in their eye, a smile on your face and a firm and clear "mai ow krab, khop kun krab" is the best solution.wai.gif

I don't use taxis as a rule because of the drivers attitudes, however to do a comparative perspective on swamppee thing. Has anybody arrived in Manila recently? Because that place used to be terrifying to arrive at. Female passengers in Vietnam are at a substantial risk of being sexually assaulted by drivers. A few years ago there was stories of Brit tourists being robbed at gun point in Miami by taxi drivers. A mate of mine was robbed at gun point in Birgmingham U.K airport. Not to condone the lousy rip off behavior of drivers here but it seems to be same in quite a few other places.

The way Thai people behave with tourist is what the tourist talk about when they go home. I live in city center BKK (7 years) and I don't know anyone ... I repeat, anyone who has not had more than one bad experience with a taxi driver. I was left on the tollway, bag in hand, when I refused to agree to a 600 baht charge from Don Muang to Sukhumvit, and told to get out while sitting at a light at an intersection when I refused to pay 100 baht for a 2km ride. I purposely took this taxi at a 5 star hotel drive in. I can't count the times a taxi refused me because I insisted on a meter. I am glad the army is doing something. I hope to see any taxi with his vacant light on and a passenger get fined. ps ... I have lived in 10 countries and never have I had taxi drivers the likes of the Thai taxi driver.

Edited by razer

Picture this, after immigration you go for a taxi and see three men in the stocks. When asked what crime they committed, you are told overcharging a tourist. First offense, 7 days. My grannie, god bless her soul, always said, you got to put the fear of the lord in em.

sentenced-to-the-stocks.gif