Where to by wood (a few boards) in Chiang Mai?

bottledwater

Hello all,

I have a little make-shift kitchen on my balcony, a sink fitted into a wooden stand, a small wooden table for my hot plate and cutting board, nothing Martha Stewart worthy mind you, but it works.

The one problem is everything is TOO SHORT, so I want to buy a few boards and basically extend the legs of everything about 6 inches/ 15 cm. It doesn't have to be pretty. But I can't find a place selling just plain old boards. What we call a "2 by 2" in America would be perfect. I'm also not crazy about the selection of wood screws I've seen at Home Pro, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.

BW

Something else I can recommend. How about using some of those construction bricks, like the white ones, I'm pretty sure they are 20 X 60 cm or the red or grey bricks they also use for construction. There are some wood shops around town, but may not sell just short ones as you requested.

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. But the bricks would be for putting them under the legs of the tables to raise the tables. I believe the white brick ones would be better, larger area to support and level the table. I think they only cost around 25 baht each.

Thanks for the advice Jimmy! Yes I've though of that, and it would be a cheap easy fix (beyond carrying around the bricks 555). But I would rather buy a few meters of wood and cut them to fit. About 6 inches extension directly under the existing leg, then another piece about twice that length as a splint/brace (if that is the right wood-working term). Then screw them together. I have enough tools to make that happen.

That way if I'm CWI (Cooking While Intoxicated) I won't knock my cook table off the blocks and send my marinara sauce down to the neighbor's balcony. And lets face it, you need to drink a little if your gonna make a decent pasta sauce.

Suksawat Lumber Company/Suksawad

Trat Wong Road, Superhighway Chiangmai-Lampang, Chiang Mai, Thailand Phone 053-242082, 244180 the road is an extension of Tung Hotel Road going North, it is hard to miss as it is on both sides of the street. Their lumber is mostly rough cut but they will plane it smooth for small change.

Nana Screw for a good selection of screws.

Edited by Dante99

I am going to suggest something a little more creative, and cheap to the point of being free.

If you have something like 2x2 legs already the extend them with bamboo.

Get 3inch round, just "gash" waste from a building site scaffolding job.

Bamboo has the chamber sealed every foot or so and you can cut it easily so that the leg is supported and mostly covered by the bamboo.

if you want to go an buy new bamboo 50bt will get you a 6m length.

Suggest you run a holding screw thro the bamboo into your original leg and finish off with some decorative string.

• Like 2

Is Nana Screw on tanon Sri Phum ?

yes but I think they have a larger selection of screws at their original location but I have only had a brief walk thru at the Sri Phum store

I was at both today looking for wing nuts. The shop close Chang Phueak gate didn't have them. There was a much bigger selection at the other store just off the moat on Sri phoom road. That's the better shop for screws.