Does all new cars in Thailand have same price ?

There is a standard price for a car, but it depends on the dealer how much discount / and free bees you get.

For example: Pattaya not a lot of discount to be had but Rayong more discount and more free bees

• Like 1

MJCM is correct. My wife just bought a new car in Chonburi and the price is identical to what it would cost in Chiang Mai. She got some more extras that weren't offered in Chiang Mai I believe.

On 2nd thought though, when I got my Civic 2.0 they gave me 28,000 off the list price to do with as I wish. But no free extras so can use it for insurance and some add ons such as film, etc.

It's not just a difference between provinces. Within a single town you can find perhaps a 5% price difference between dealers.

Broadly speaking, the newer the model is to the market, the less variation in price will you find between dealers.

It also helps who you know. When I brought along a friend, the son of a local influential figure, the dealers suddenly became much more flexible.

(The above is based upon my experience buying a Toyota in a province in central Thailand.)

The new car dealerships in Thailand are not independent businesses as we are used to in the West but rather sales showrooms for the auto manufacturers. The manufacturers set the national price and the showrooms sell the vehicle. That is why it takes 30 days or so for the title to transfer; the "dealership" does not own the vehicles.

Prices are standardised, and there's a fairly fixed range for the 'discount' you will be offerred. Exactly what they offer you is a function of the motivation of the salesfolk involved.

For example, I was offered a couple more % discount and an 'extras' package when I started to walk away from a deal. Negotiation can pay, but only up to a point.

What is a merc?

This mean the prices show on the website are In generally higher, that the showroom has space to give discount, or go up before, and after discounted , you got same price then originally would coasts ?

Can someone give price examples by brand what is normal and overpriced?

Price is not flexible, but, like in America, dealers can make some extra money dealing with the bank financing the buyer. That's why sometimes dealers will prefer to finance the car than to sell it cash.

There is a standard price for a car, but it depends on the dealer how much discount / and free bees you get.

For example: Pattaya not a lot of discount to be had but Rayong more discount and more free bees

Gee, that's just like every other product anywhere else in the world isn't it?

Price is not flexible, but, like in America, dealers can make some extra money dealing with the bank financing the buyer. That's why sometimes dealers will prefer to finance the car than to sell it cash.

In my experience it isn't sometimes, they always prefer you to finance the car.

I am canadian and married to a thai woman. Lately we have been shopping around for a new car. We encounterd the same thing. A bkk mitsubishi dealer was willing to bendover backwards to sell me a lancer ex. Then we visited 2 diffrent mitsu dealers on the same stretch of road in ubon rachathanie. One dealer only stocked the lancer gt. And the other dealer told us they were impossible to get and did'nt even bother calling mitsubishi to enquire about the car. So we allso asked about a limited production purple mirage and the dealer with the lancer gts told us he can get it in 2 trim levels straight out of bkk to ubon within 10days and the 2nd dealer not having lancers told us he could only get us the top of the line purple mirage and it could take him 3weeks to get it. Then they start dicking you around for downpayment and intrest rates. The lancer gt dealer said we need 40000 down and must finance for 72months. The dealer with no lancers and trying to sell the top mirage sayes 69000 down but 60month payements. Both dealers are including 1st years premium insurance,free film,free rubber floor mats,free rear licenceplate cover,free 500baht of gas. After all this we decided to wait t'il the next big promotion. To improve our deal. But atlease now I have a good knowledge how to deal with these dealers and where I whant to buy the car. Mind you I am 41yo I've owned about 20new cars and pickup trucks and have agressive barganing skills wich seams to intimidate the Thai sales poeple and I end up haggleling with the dealerships sales manager.time and time again.

The new car dealerships in Thailand are not independent businesses as we are used to in the West but rather sales showrooms for the auto manufacturers. The manufacturers set the national price and the showrooms sell the vehicle. That is why it takes 30 days or so for the title to transfer; the "dealership" does not own the vehicles.

That's not entirely true - most brands are between 50-90% franchise dealers.

However, as franchisees they are expected to play by the franchise rules, which means no advertising deals better than the current factory campaigns - they all do have the power to sell for what they want however.

The reason is takes so long to get white plates is because the dealer must present proof of having paid for the car to the DLT, and most are on terms from the factory.

• Like 1

I am canadian and married to a thai woman. Lately we have been shopping around for a new car. We encounterd the same thing. A bkk mitsubishi dealer was willing to bendover backwards to sell me a lancer ex. Then we visited 2 diffrent mitsu dealers on the same stretch of road in ubon rachathanie. One dealer only stocked the lancer gt. And the other dealer told us they were impossible to get and did'nt even bother calling mitsubishi to enquire about the car. So we allso asked about a limited production purple mirage and the dealer with the lancer gts told us he can get it in 2 trim levels straight out of bkk to ubon within 10days and the 2nd dealer not having lancers told us he could only get us the top of the line purple mirage and it could take him 3weeks to get it. Then they start dicking you around for downpayment and intrest rates. The lancer gt dealer said we need 40000 down and must finance for 72months. The dealer with no lancers and trying to sell the top mirage sayes 69000 down but 60month payements. Both dealers are including 1st years premium insurance,free film,free rubber floor mats,free rear licenceplate cover,free 500baht of gas. After all this we decided to wait t'il the next big promotion. To improve our deal. But atlease now I have a good knowledge how to deal with these dealers and where I whant to buy the car. Mind you I am 41yo I've owned about 20new cars and pickup trucks and have agressive barganing skills wich seams to intimidate the Thai sales poeple and I end up haggleling with the dealerships sales manager.time and time again.

Try the new mazda 3, before you settle for a mitsu gt/mirage. Not too sure they will be so generous with discounts/freebies, though.

Are you kidding me? HAHAHAHA

Prices are SOOO NOT FIXED. Atleast if you feel that way, you are the "salesperson's easy victim". That's right, they label you when you walk in the door already.

Attitude people, that is the most important. Make them beg for your business. While on the table, sit back with a degree away from the sales, look unimpressed, and so on. Make the sales nervous and feel like they are not doing enough. Never EVER nod when they talk. Look at them in doubt as if they are liars, because that is what they are haha. Trust me, it works. Never work with the sales, let them WORK for you. You have lost if they set out the discount, the rules, the freebies. Let them keep throwing offers at you and it still is never good enough. "Oh we'll give you 20,000 discount." Face uninterested. 10 mins passed. "If you order today, we can give you another 10,000 discount on top of it, but only today." Yawns and farts. Starts to get up. "Wait, let me talk to my manager I will try if I can get you a better deal." That my friend, is how buying cars should be. Just remember the key point is, let them know you are serious about buying the car, and not just checking prices. Other than that, give them nothing, no clues, whatsoever. Watch them perform as if you are a manager inspecting their performance.

Next, let me clarify. What most people are mentioning is the "Invoice Price" aka fixed price. This is the manufacturer's suggested retail price and in no way the price you are forced to pay. Every dealer, even if they are under the same owner, has a fixed quota of incoming cars to their dealer lot.

For example, the Toyota factory in Chonburi, produces 1000 cars per month. Each dealer across Thailand, is allotted 4 cars per month. They usually have to bid for this in advance, thus "we only have these cars". They are allowed to bid for less cars if business isn't going as well as planned but the max is 4 cars per month. Larger dealers will be allotted a higher quota. And of course, dealer to dealer relationship, just like banks to banks, are allowed to "borrow cars". You may be negotiating between two dealers with different prices, FOR THAT EXACT same car. Dealer A gave you a price of 700k, and dealer B 680k but needs 7 days wait. Dealer B "borrows" car from Dealer A to sell the car. This is mutually exclusive and sometimes B will help A as well.

So why? Are the prices different?

Dealer A has 4 cars quota and only sold 1 this month.

Dealer B has 4 cars quota and sold 3 cars this month.

Dealer B only has the last car left available, do you think they will sell high or low? What day of the month did you enter the dealership? Early or late? If early, my last car, I can have 2-3 weeks with potential 10 customers to sell to, I'll sell it to the highest paying customer wouldn't I? Last day of the month? 27-28? Last car to sell to reach my sales target, I would probably sell it to any customer just to get the deal done, which could mean 0% profit, but I wouldn't care because if I sold 3 cars this month, I get no bonus, if I sell 4 cars, I get 100,000 bonus. Sure I'll sell the last car for no profit. I just need a quick sure buyer.

So shop around, and get a feeling of each dealer. Not all dealers are the same. Even if someone says a particular dealer is usually more expensive, you still have to step your feet in it. Because maybe they sold no cars this month? And the popular dealer has already sold it's quota and not interested in you as the customer?

I try to aim for 7-8% discount from invoice PLUS freebies.

If anyone of you gets 10%, my friend, you have receive the best discount anyone can get. Treat your sales to a dinner. :)

• Like 1

I was told by one dealer that the prices are set by the government and the discounts come in the way of freebies and stuff like that.

2 years ago, I bought a new car and haggled the price to a certain point the sales started taking things away from my freebies. If I wanted that price, I would lose my chrome exhaust tip, so it would just look brown I guess. I went ahead with it with a grin on my face.

The day I picked up my car, well well well, what's that on my exhaust muffler? A chrome tip.

Many of these freebies, floor mat, it's already there for you, regardless if you want it or not. Keychains, window tinting, rust prevention spraying, etc. But they try to make it like you will be losing out on freebies if you lower the price even more, but most of the time it's not true.