Buying from Amazon and paying Customs Duties

Just wondering if any TVers have bought something from Amazon / E-Bay which required payment to Customs and - if so - how you make that payment when the package is delivered to Thailand. I have an MBE post box at Big C Extra and it's large enough for the package I want, but I doubt that cables are exempt from customs duties. This is the cable and all the sellers seem to be based in Japan:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00FF086HE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

This is a toe-in-the-water exercise for me and the price low enough for me to live with the possibility that I might never see the cable, but it would be great to get feedback from someone who has dealt with Thai Customs previously. I've read most of the horror stories re the amount some items are taxed at, but details from people who've actually imported something other than books and CDs seem to be thin on the ground.

Thanks in advance.

If bought from amazon global they take a deposit for what they calculate the charges should be at the checkout. If, as has happened to me a couple of times they have been charged less they have credited my bank. If the cusoms charge is more they do not charge you extra.

Note this is for stuff with global shipping by Amazon, you have to check for others.

In the case of second hand items I think you will find you are on your own.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117970

Edited by harrry

Just to tie this thread off, this was the summary Amazon gave me for the items I ordered directly from them - note the estimate re taxes is $0. I only ordered CDs from them and the cable is coming direct from the seller - I initially thought the S&H on that order was exorbitant but I'm hoping it covers the aforementioned duties. I'll update this thread if and when I get my package - too cheap to pay for anything other than standard delivery so dont hold your breath :D

Item(s) Subtotal:AUD 47.48

Shipping & Handling:AUD 23.18 -----

Total before tax:AUD 70.66

Estimated tax to be collected:AUD 0.00

-----Grand Total:AUD 70.66

I live in Udon Thani have no problem buying from either. From Amazon I do order some things like new releases for technology stuff, and things I want fast. But I much more frequently order from eBay and look for listings that are NOT part of the Global Shipping Program as the duties charged are very high. I must get 10-12 packages per month for various things (where no import duty is charged in advanced / I'm responsible for it). About 10% of the time i get a slip to pick up at the post office and pay tax. In all occasions it has been less than what would have paid via the Global Shipping Program with eBay. The other 90% of the time it just comes without needing to pay. Some things duty is more expensive than others (clothes, shoes etc. on the high side), but for many higher end electronic items like cell phones / tablets the times I do get hit it is ONLY the 7% VAT.

Also make sure to check lazada.co.th for anything wanting to buy as that's local. Sometimes they have better prices than Amazon and eBay when factoring in shipping cost, and because it is local isn't import-duty to pay. Prices listed usually include the VAT.

I live in Udon Thani have no problem buying from either. From Amazon I do order some things like new releases for technology stuff, and things I want fast. But I much more frequently order from eBay and look for listings that are NOT part of the Global Shipping Program as the duties charged are very high. I must get 10-12 packages per month for various things (where no import duty is charged in advanced / I'm responsible for it). About 10% of the time i get a slip to pick up at the post office and pay tax. In all occasions it has been less than what would have paid via the Global Shipping Program with eBay. The other 90% of the time it just comes without needing to pay. Some things duty is more expensive than others (clothes, shoes etc. on the high side), but for many higher end electronic items like cell phones / tablets the times I do get hit it is ONLY the 7% VAT.

Also make sure to check lazada.co.th for anything wanting to buy as that's local. Sometimes they have better prices than Amazon and eBay when factoring in shipping cost, and because it is local isn't import-duty to pay. Prices listed usually include the VAT.

"look for listings that are NOT part of the Global Shipping Program as the duties charged are very high."

A big AMEN to that. I ask eBay sellers to send directly through the post office. eBay's Global Shipping Program is a major hassle and a sure way to pay too much in customs and the same usually applies to things sent by UPS, FedEx or DHL.

Actually, as two different eBay sellers and I discovered recently, if they offered Global Shipping, eBay blocked me from bidding and nothing the seller was able to do to get around it except to re-list the item. Major aggravation.

Books, DVDs and such from Amazon sent by mail from UK arrive quickly and do not get hung up with Customs. I did order a Kindle from Amazon USA, prepaid duty and it cleared with no problem and I got a small rebate from Amazon. Also ordered an iPod from Apple Thailand, which was actually sent from Singapore, but all the customs clearance issues were sorted out by Apple. The Kindle and iPod were delivered to me at home.

What I get annoyed with is that Amazon will not ship some books and videos to Thailand because of the specifics of the copyright licensing (not censorship). You won't find out until you place the order.

But generally Amazon runs a tight ship, and has excellent support. And I appreciate that they have to observe the letter of the law.

They even refunded me on an item I ordered by mistake, though the package had already shipped!

What I get annoyed with is that Amazon will not ship some books and videos to Thailand because of the specifics of the copyright licensing (not censorship). You won't find out until you place the order.

But generally Amazon runs a tight ship, and has excellent support. And I appreciate that they have to observe the letter of the law.

They even refunded me on an item I ordered by mistake, though the package had already shipped!

Try www.amazon.co.uk instead, I've found tthey will ship DVDs that the US site won't. Once I had to try 3 different sellers for the same DVD but got one who would ship here in the end.

For the op, like the others said avoid the global shipping where they collect the tax upfront if you can. Most of the stuff I get (DVDs and some clothes) comes straight through and anything else they give you a slip in the mail to go pick it up and the tax payable at the post office.

I bought, via eBay, a second hand seat for a big motorbike off a seller in the USA. I think the seat cost me $40 the postage $60 and Thai customs B1800

The motorbike seat was addressed to me at my GH in CM. The motorbike seat arrived at the local post office and I received a letter asking me to go to the post office to pay the customs duty. I hope you, and others, find this information useful.

cheers

Just a thought - if you want a book/video that has a restricted distribution area because of Copyright, why not ask a fellow TVer from outside the Copyright zone to mail it to you ? smile.png

I reckon as you're over the 1000B mark you might get boned for anything up to about 40% of the (purchase price + postage) if they send it by courier. If by regular post it'll likely get through for free, or perhaps for 10% + VAT.

What's that cable for anyhow? Driving a USB DAC from a walkman?

As Harry has said , Amazon will refund the deposit they take if payment is not required.

It is very up front and properly done - no issues at all with Amazon UK - very good but a lot of stuff they will not ship to Thailand these days.

Other stuff, I get shipped EMS from Japan for example, pay at the local Post Office and have not been ripped off so far.

DHL charge you duty at the door when they deliver and again , do not seem to try to rip you off but I have heard horror stories about FEDX holding your stuff up in Bangkok until they have received exorbitant duty payments - have no personal experience but its what I have read and heard.

Right on. When buying on ebay, if possible, buy the item from someone (Provided they have excellent feedback of course) who ships via First Class International Post, and does not pre-charge you for the customs. If the seller uses Fedex/UPS/DHL etc they all pre-add the estimated customs duty, and I'm sure it's calculated to give the shipping companies a profit.

In the case of this cable from Japan, it's like to be shipped via post in a non-descript padded envelope, and chances are good that no duty will accrue. If there is, it shouldn't be very much.

I reckon as you're over the 1000B mark you might get boned for anything up to about 40% of the (purchase price + postage) if they send it by courier. If by regular post it'll likely get through for free, or perhaps for 10% + VAT.

What's that cable for anyhow? Driving a USB DAC from a walkman?

Precisely - this Walkman with this DAC/amp:

http://www.sony.com.au/product/nwz-zx1

http://www.moon-audio.com/chord-electronics-hugo-dac-headphone-amp.html

Those numbers probably look pretty outrageous to some on TV, but the Koreans clearly think otherwise:

http://www.moon-audio.com/astell-kern-ak-240.html

2500 USD would feed most of us for several months, but these guys know their market - that particular toy seems to be selling like the proverbial hot cakes.

Apologies to the rest of the board for straying so far off topic, and thanks to everyone for the excellent feedback re E-Bay, Amazon UK and the 'pay at the post office' option for customs duties.

Don't use your falang name. Customs picks up on those and will open the package. Try using a Thai name for delivery. Customs dings me every time I use my own name. If I use my wifes thai name it gets right thur without any taxes or vat charges.

Don't use your falang name. Customs picks up on those and will open the package. Try using a Thai name for delivery. Customs dings me every time I use my own name. If I use my wifes thai name it gets right thur without any taxes or vat charges.

If you want to evade customs completely don't write a word in English text, it will be singled out because of that alone

Email your seller a Thai name and address to print and stick on the box in Thai language only

This will avoid the Hounddogs in customs nearly all of the time as farang names and English text are a sure sign of easy money for them

I have had lots of car parts sent from all over the place to Bangkok Thailand. I had to go to the post office and pick then up and pay the taxes. Worked out at 25 to 30%. Still cheaper than buying the same parts from a Thai car dealer. But it takes time to go and clear them.

Have found the Fedex is the easiest but you have to go to the depot near Suvannabhumi.

The post office ones they need a copy of your passport but only took an hour to clear.

I try to avoid all shippings by courier as the charges are pretty high. Most of the stuff i need from outside except branded items I try to get by fasttech.com or aliexpress which works very well with no issues on duty and already close to 100 orders done.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you want to evade customs completely don't write a word in English text, it will be singled out because of that alone

Email your seller a Thai name and address to print and stick on the box in Thai language only

This will avoid the Hounddogs in customs nearly all of the time as farang names and English text are a sure sign of easy money for them

It's a nice idea... But I don't know of any U.S. retailer I buy from -- Amazon, TigerDirect, drug stores, etc -- that will do what you suggest. Perhaps low-volume EBay shippers might be more amenable.

All the purchases are automated online, and the addressing info has to be entered in English when making the purchase online via their websites.

Other than that, I don't know how the U.S. Postal Service and such are set up in the U.S. to handle understanding a 100% Thai language address label.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So much smarter to deliver to US and send to Thailand with gooship or other companies that will send declared as GIFT...

I mark all my packages shipped from the U.S. as "gifts" because that's what they are, and the only other choice via my shipper is "commercial," which they are not.

However, doing that is no guarantee of escaping customs duty and/or VAT tax. All my packages here are delivered via Thai post. Basically, anything under 1000 baht comes in free. Anything much over 1000 baht in value, it can vary wildly from nothing, to 7% VAT only, up to 30 or 40% duty.

Generally, electronics only get the 7% VAT. But things like shoes or clothing can get duties at 25% to 40% -- if the value is above 1000 baht.

Right on. When buying on ebay, if possible, buy the item from someone (Provided they have excellent feedback of course) who ships via First Class International Post, and does not pre-charge you for the customs. If the seller uses Fedex/UPS/DHL etc they all pre-add the estimated customs duty, and I'm sure it's calculated to give the shipping companies a profit.

In the case of this cable from Japan, it's like to be shipped via post in a non-descript padded envelope, and chances are good that no duty will accrue. If there is, it shouldn't be very much.

If I remember correctly, the US Post office only offers first class international parcel post for packages under 4 lbs. now. Anything over 4 lbs is international priority mail, which averages out to $5-6 per pound of weight. I believe 25 lbs. is the maximum.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am now on eBay since 12 years with amazon together I spend around 500 € a month , my analysis look like

Only amazon us or eBay USA

Add custom duty on nearly ever item and add it

On eBay us , only when seller offers

Worldwide postage !

If it not specified no tax added

If seller post worldwide tax auto added by eBay you have to ask seller

To resend a new bill without tax

I never let them Ebay include !

What electronic items except video game consoles amazon send worldwide

I not found many, only on eBay German some dvd recorders , but German amazon have a big diffrence

In shipping costs depend on item that is defently in logical sometime postage higher then item price dvd recorder 50€ postage ps4 only 20

What happen with banned books when someone try to import get fined or book destroyed ?

Amazon uk

Cheapest postage of all amazon with

Global programm on cd and books

Amazon Germany high book postage

Italy amazon like uk not send video me consoles !

France amazon fixed postage on most items also small 15€ send ps4 cheaper then the Germans!

India amazon impossible to order same on china!

And strange on Japanese amazon I was unable to log in with my password!

When you ask amazon stuff why automatic added import tax is so much diffrent depend on item sometime nearly same then item price itself the hotline stuff is not familiar with this questions a sign

That hotline workers are only trained

For standardized questions!

All overview best deal to order on amazon uk!

Winner of the system!

More questions send pm!

Now I must go order something again because Iam so happy when the postman come , and bring me exactly that what I want!

I bought shoes worth £100 and the declared price was ripped off the box and customs estimated they were worth 400usd and wanted tax based on that amount

Eventually I had to print out PayPal and credit card statements and I paíd the correct duty but F uck that for a hassle

It's a nice idea... But I don't know of any U.S. retailer I buy from -- Amazon, TigerDirect, drug stores, etc -- that will do what you suggest. Perhaps low-volume EBay shippers might be more amenable.

All the purchases are automated online, and the addressing info has to be entered in English when making the purchase online via their websites.

Other than that, I don't know how the U.S. Postal Service and such are set up in the U.S. to handle understanding a 100% Thai language address label.

A big retailer won't but most eBay sellers will do as you ask if a sale depends on it