China praises NCPO even as US cuts military aid

webfact

Sorry, let's get back to the actual original post.

So Thailand appears to be drifting away from America and Europe, and moving towards China. Is this really a bad thing ?

smile.png

I wouldn't say Thailand is drifting away...although recently it looks like the US & EU is pushing Thailand away...

or pressuring to allow more West control like they had under previous governments.

the US & the West appear to want to punish Thailand .................as do many posters on this forum.....for Thailand to know it's place in the freedom loving world & accept criticism, without complaining, & know Thailand means nothing in the big picture & return to what it was before.

I think re. the OP ...

China offered support to the Thailand military government...as things definitely have taken a turn for the better, economically & more stable.

That's what friends do.

If they want to control the Mekong it's just water after all.

If you had ( your wife or whatever ) had a baby..

and I was a friend of yours.....

I could say serves you right for not using a condom I hope you have to take out a loan.

or..I could say congratulations the kid looks just like you.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna give you money to support the kid.

Since China is upstream on the Mekong I'm sure they gonna do what they gonna do & Thailand is going to have to suffer the consequences,

unless they can somehow negotiate a treaty to mitigate the problems.

But whether Thailand was more leaning towards the west or China...

I'm not sure if that matters in the context of my argument in that post.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Us needs to get their heads out of their <deleted> and look a little harder at the ramifications of imposing sanctions.. With China so near it would only take a meager offer of support from them to sway Thailands political relationships with foreign countries... Does America want to lose their place here in Thailand to the Chinese? It very well could happen if the US tries to interfere more in Thai politics and with this coupe... The Us should bow down to the Army for stopping a civil war and for trying to end the corruption here but since the US supports Thaksin and Yingluck this won't happen.... The Us has it's own idea of Democracy and if it does not benefit them they refuse to accept change...

You otta' be in diplomacy and forget your day job.

Hello "Morch" ! smile.png

Yes, some interesting writing you've put up !

Okay, the wikipedia link about the wars that China has fought in during the last century ! Yes, it mentions the CHINESE civil war, it was not a conflict to do with neighbouring countries ! Also, so China incorporated Tibet into itself in 1950. Morch, I think a lot of countries have expanded their borders by war. And the Dalai Lama, people should realise that the Dalai Lama did actually travel to Beijing BEFORE the annexation. He's not as Tibetan as some people think, and it's not as if all those in Tibet actually want China out. And the Dalai Lama doesn't actually blatantly support 'independence' for Tibet.

Then we have Korea and Vietnam, the two big wars. Do you really want to say that China was being aggresive and wrong to take part in those wars ? smile.png

People might feel that it was OTHER countries (not China) who were wrong to send their young men thousands of miles to fight in those wars. The Vietnam War, a certain foreign country pulled out, and the Vietnamese (under Ho Chi Minh, originally) took over. Did Ho Chi Minh prefer America to China ? I do know that Ho Chi Minh is still regarded a hero in Vietnam. I'm not going to condemn a load of Vietnamese for praising Ho Chi Minh ! smile.png

In all honesty, I think America has actually fought more 'bigger wars' than China. China didn't invade Iraq. I don't condemn America for invading Afghanistan, but again, America did do it. Is China a bigger threat to world peace than America ? smile.png

And Taiwan. Are they actually scared of China ? Their economic links with China are becoming greater. Taiwan is a democratic nation, and Taiwan's government is actually pro-China. The opposition party is not so friendly towards China. Let's get real, Taiwanese are actually Chinese. Why have factories in Taiwan when the labour is cheaper in China ? Hence, most Taiwan manufacturers are in China. And a stack of Taiwan men have wives and girlfriends from China. How many Taiwan babies have actually got main-land Chinese mothers ? And does Taiwan want those Chinese tourists ? They are stuck, they want those tourists because those tourists bring money. But at the same time, yes, some of them dislike their nation having ever closer ties with China ! smile.png

I'ill end by saying "Beijing doesn't have to pretend that it is trying to spread freedom and democracy to the rest of the world, that's because Beijing is not democratic". "But the USA, it is democratic, it has to put up some effort to convince Americans that America are the good guys, but in reality, America is trying to carve out the New American World Empire". How many deaths did America cause in Iraq ? And how many died in Central America due to the Reagan/Bush (senior) government ?

Chinese cherry picking...well done.

There were other incidents with neighbors - India, USSR, Vietnam (unrelated to THE Vietnam war), putting down the Tibetan

uprising (yes, after they took over, separate thing), and ongoing confrontations with everyone sharing the maritime area.

Just need to scroll down a bit and read on.

Vietnam bears nothing but friendly feelings towards the PRC, Taiwan as well... We must be living in a different SE Asias.

The PRC is not a military threat, so far, to most of the countries in the world. Bur if one is unlucky enough to be a neighbor,

it can sure be. Could also be considered a threat to its own citizens, although that part been more in evidence in the past.

The USA is not the ultimate good guy, no. They are just somewhat better than the other options.

To put it in another words, which the PRC you know you'll get a raw deal. With the USA, there's a chance you won't.

Sorry, let's get back to the actual original post.

So Thailand appears to be drifting away from America and Europe, and moving towards China. Is this really a bad thing ?

smile.png

I wouldn't say Thailand is drifting away...although recently it looks like the US & EU is pushing Thailand away...

or pressuring to allow more West control like they had under previous governments.

the US & the West appear to want to punish Thailand .................as do many posters on this forum.....for Thailand to know it's place in the freedom loving world & accept criticism, without complaining, & know Thailand means nothing in the big picture & return to what it was before.

I think re. the OP ...

China offered support to the Thailand military government...as things definitely have taken a turn for the better, economically & more stable.

That's what friends do.

Thailand isn't drifting nowhere.

A couple of articles by a HiSo with a grudge and a nationalistic editor for hire does not a shift in policy make.

A bit of posturing, huffing and puffing, beating of the chest and proclaiming Thai independence will go a long way

toward making this tantrum go away.

Some not critical restrictions will be in place for a few months, then the US/EU will air some statements about "progress

toward democracy in Thailand", Cobra Gold will be on ("The mutual ties between our countries have always been...blah

blah blah") and a bit before elections this will all but fade away.

On the Thai side, they will take some steps (doesn't matter if real or not) to curtail human trafficking and other criminal

activities, will gradually easy military rule and freedom of press, then have an election.

For those with memory issues, look back at the last coup. Played out pretty much along the same lines.

Okay, the wikipedia link about the wars that China has fought in during the last century ! Yes, it mentions the CHINESE civil war, it was not a conflict to do with neighbouring countries ! Also, so China incorporated Tibet into itself in 1950. Morch, I think a lot of countries have expanded their borders by war. And the Dalai Lama, people should realise that the Dalai Lama did actually travel to Beijing BEFORE the annexation. He's not as Tibetan as some people think, and it's not as if all those in Tibet actually want China out. And the Dalai Lama doesn't actually blatantly support 'independence' for Tibet.

Then we have Korea and Vietnam, the two big wars. Do you really want to say that China was being aggresive and wrong to take part in those wars ? smile.png

People might feel that it was OTHER countries (not China) who were wrong to send their young men thousands of miles to fight in those wars. The Vietnam War, a certain foreign country pulled out, and the Vietnamese (under Ho Chi Minh, originally) took over. Did Ho Chi Minh prefer America to China ? I do know that Ho Chi Minh is still regarded a hero in Vietnam. I'm not going to condemn a load of Vietnamese for praising Ho Chi Minh ! smile.png

In all honesty, I think America has actually fought more 'bigger wars' than China. China didn't invade Iraq. I don't condemn America for invading Afghanistan, but again, America did do it. Is China a bigger threat to world peace than America ? smile.png

And Taiwan. Are they actually scared of China ? Their economic links with China are becoming greater. Taiwan is a democratic nation, and Taiwan's government is actually pro-China. The opposition party is not so friendly towards China. Let's get real, Taiwanese are actually Chinese. Why have factories in Taiwan when the labour is cheaper in China ? Hence, most Taiwan manufacturers are in China. And a stack of Taiwan men have wives and girlfriends from China. How many Taiwan babies have actually got main-land Chinese mothers ? And does Taiwan want those Chinese tourists ? They are stuck, they want those tourists because those tourists bring money. But at the same time, yes, some of them dislike their nation having ever closer ties with China ! smile.png

I'ill end by saying "Beijing doesn't have to pretend that it is trying to spread freedom and democracy to the rest of the world, that's because Beijing is not democratic". "But the USA, it is democratic, it has to put up some effort to convince Americans that America are the good guys, but in reality, America is trying to carve out the New American World Empire". How many deaths did America cause in Iraq ? And how many died in Central America due to the Reagan/Bush (senior) government ?

There were other incidents with neighbors - India, USSR, Vietnam (unrelated to THE Vietnam war), putting down the Tibetan

uprising (yes, after they took over, separate thing), and ongoing confrontations with everyone sharing the maritime area.

Vietnam bears nothing but friendly feelings towards the PRC, Taiwan as well... We must be living in a different SE Asias.

The PRC is not a military threat, so far, to most of the countries in the world. Bur if one is unlucky enough to be a neighbor,

it can sure be. Could also be considered a threat to its own citizens, although that part been more in evidence in the past.

The USA is not the ultimate good guy, no. They are just somewhat better than the other options.

To put it in another words, which the PRC you know you'll get a raw deal. With the USA, there's a chance you won't.

• Like 1