Qualified Electrician... Is there such a thing in CM?...

sfokevin

I am renovating an old townhouse in Suan Dok... The electric fuses and such are a a hodge lodge right out of a Frankenstein movie with a total of FOUR overlapping "Ground Fault" breakers one of which is a rather large and impressive box that has "Safe-T-Cut Super Plus" printed in big red letter with dial (I assume to adjust the level of protection?...) and switches all labeled in Thai?... these have been installed over the years one after another... I would like to have the whole rats nest removed by a qualified electrician and install a proper fuse box and circuit breakers...

Can anyone recommend someone who is qualified and is comfortable working with a farrang?

Edited by sfokevin

Chiang Mai Delta Electrical

105/4-5 Wualai Rd

053 200 750

They sell the stuff and have a good electrician who does installations, not just homes but more complicated factories too. They will have a look and give you a written bid.

Comfortable working with a farang? Certainly can work with some farangs and I am sure he would find others to be a major pain in the ass. Your drama and skepticism may get in the way of getting the job done easily.

Edited by Dante99

I seem to have sufficient service... There is one big switch that is 40amps and 3 smaller switch's that are 15amp labeled floor 1, 2 and Laundry... This is all fine... and I think original to the building... But then there are a series of Ground Fault Breakers that have been added over the years... (three different ones of varying ages) near the main stitch and another on the shower walls next to the shower heaters that have a little wire that I traced to the back where it is attached to rod in the floor... These instill little if any confidence in me...

I would like an electrician to remove all existing ground fault protection and install just one which is new...

And install my new water heaters as well... (the old water heaters had no built in ground fault)

Also I tried to google these Safe-T-Cut Super Plus boxes but they are all in Thai so I don't really understand what these do?

sft_1386424604_3.jpg This is not my breaker box

http://www.safe-t-cut-rangsit.com/product_detail.php?pid=37

Edited by sfokevin

The black wires of the GFCI could go to the black main, which is 40, but the white wires may go to one of the 15s, and that is why they are trying to prevent the overload with the dial.

I have no way to ground on the fifth floor; but the water heater has it's own built in protection, that you can regularly test, and likewise with the GFCI breaker, which will trip in milliseconds and prevent electrocution. I've never met anyone, who was shocked by one of these HWHs, unlike the 300 or so people I've met, who have been in a motorbike crash, lol. The dial thing sounds like the mystery, by I say it is a selector of circuits. Perhaps you could post some photos? Sounds like you have basics, and you could get a Thai electrician to neaten it up. In the US, most homes built in the last 40 years have 200 amp service.

that is a very high quality box you have - and top end in Thailand. get a good electrician to come and re-wire everything nice and neatly and properly. your equipment is top end. sounds like you have a ground rod as well.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27818-the-importance-of-earth-wires/page-4

Interesting old thread on similar subject....let's just say there are different opinions but it is more straightforward than getting a yellow book.

The dial is to set it at the amperage to trip. I don't see how this could be better than an individual GFCI on each appliance.