Meriam Ibrahim: Sudan 'apostasy' woman freed again

webfact

Meriam Ibrahim: Sudan 'apostasy' woman freed again

(BBC) A Sudanese woman whose death sentence for marrying a Christian was overturned has been released from jail again, after she was detained at Khartoum airport on Tuesday.

Meriam Ibrahim's lawyer, Muhannad Mustafa, said that she was currently in the US embassy with her family.

Mrs Ibrahim had been detained on charges of falsifying ID documents.

She was first released on 23 June when an appeals court lifted her death sentence for renouncing Islam.

Her sentencing in May to hang for apostasy sparked an outcry at home and around the world.

Mrs Ibrahim, 27, had been held at a police station in the capital, since Tuesday, when she was prevented from leaving the country along with her husband, Daniel Wani, and their two children.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28050753

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-27

Gotta love those thought crimes. "Mrs Ibrahim had been detained on charges of falsifying ID documents" what did she do, list herself as a Christian?

That sort of was the original charge - getting married to a Christian, while allegedly, being a Muslim.

The current issue was about her temporary travel documents, issued by South Sudan, which the immigration

authorities claimed to be forged.

It's all in the linked article, btw.

I go to Sudan often as a teacher and leader of youth development programs. When I read about things like this happening there I am perplexed because it does not add up with anything I experience in Sudanese culture in the everyday. The majority of Sudanese in the Khartoum area are open-minded Sufi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Sudan) and a popular saying in the country is "if there is a family in Sudan that does not have at least one Sufi member, it is not Sudanese'. Among the Sudanese I know music and poetry are celebrated and there is no culture of punishing and forbidding. I suspect that cases like these are politically motivated cheap tricks by the government to try to rally masses around the sinking ship known as the 'Sudanese Govt and Ruling Party'. (Remember 'Mohammed the Teddy Bear of about 10 years ago). In any case, I just want to say that the Sudanese I know detest these kinds of abuses of religion and the law and please don't judge this amazing culture and its long-abused people by the actions of their (dictatorial) government.

• Like 1

We all know that our mother put her values on our "empty" brain between the age of 0 and 5

Here the Sudanese Muslim father abandoned his Christian Ethopian wife and his daughter of 6 years

How could one believe the kid to be other than her mother?

US president Obama was in the same way abandoned by his Muslim father and educated initially by his atheist mother until she sent him to the grand-mother in Hawaii where he was educated as a Christian.

It means the idiot application of Shariah Law in Sudan could have executed Obama if he visited this country.

If the Muslims proclaim "Allah o akbar" (God is Almighty) then they should leave also the final judgment to Allah ...now they create the impression that the "almighty" God is just a poor sucker in need of their tribal support.

The same thing happened 500 years ago between Catholics and Protestants but that is a poor consolation.