Thai Public Health Min imposes 85% warning on surface areas of cigarette packages

webfact

Public Health Min. imposes 85% warning on surface areas of cigarette packages

BANGKOK, 27 June 2014 (NNT) – The Public Health Ministry has announced to impose graphical warnings that cover 85% on the surface area of cigarette packages in order to raise awareness to the public about the serious risks of smoking.

Permanent-Secretary for Public Health, Dr. Narong Sahamethapat, said on June 26 that the ministry had received the Supreme Administrative Court's latest decision to overturn its verdict favoring Philip Morris, a US giant tobacco producer, who earlier had lodged a complaint that the 85% warning was unconstitutional.

The ministry has set a deadline for new rules to go into effect starting September 23 or 60 days after the ruling. Tobacco manufacturers are required to remove all old cigarette packages from the market, as they have graphical warnings that only cover 55% of their surface area and replace them with the new packages.

Dr. Prakit Vatheesothokkit, the Secretary-General of the Action on Smoking and Health Foundation (ASH), revealed a rather worrying statistic about smoking in Thailand. He said that by the year of 2011, around 13 million Thais were smokers, which is an increase of 500,000 people since 2009. Each year, about 50,710 Thais die from smoking.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-27 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Australia did this,.....didn't work at all....there has been an increase in smokers after this initiative.

There has been a reduction of long term smokers, and this is good...but smoking is a global problem and seemingly impossible to solve!

People who want to smoke don't take any notice of warnings!.....The young, and not so young, like to smoke.

• Like 1

People who want to smoke don't take any notice of warnings!.....The young, and not so young, like to smoke.

That is because they are addicted. People are are addicted to something generally do not care about the side effects of what they are doing, or if they do care, they are unable to do anything about it. That's part of being an addict. Smokers will say they enjoy a smoke, but in reality, they enjoy it because they are addicted. No one enjoys their first smoke. It is only really enjoyable once they are hooked.

They can colors the boxes black and write "CANCER" in bold red across the front, and people will still buy them.

• Like 2

Smoking is a choice but after about 1980 with all the facts in it's a very stupid choice. Most smokers are from ranks of the poor, school dropouts and have low intelligence.

I know what will work here in Thailand. Match the sales hours for smokes with those of liquor sales. The original justification for restricting liquor sales hours was to curb domestic violence and to reduce teenage drinking. This is Thailand.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It's a supposed kick in the face to America... don't you see?

"Dr. Narong Sahamethapat, said on June 26 that the ministry had received the Supreme Administrative Court's latest decision to overturn its verdict favoring Philip Morris, a US giant tobacco producer, who earlier had lodged a complaint that the 85% warning was unconstitutional."

NEXT PLS... as EU and US stop buying Thai products... and that will hurt Th,,, not the farangs...

Edited by UbonRatch

If it is all about health warnings then they should do the same thing with alcohol. 85 per cent of the labeling should warn of the dangers of alcohol related diseases, killing yourself and others when overindulging etc., just as they do with tobacco.

Can't see it myself, can you?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If it is all about health warnings then they should do the same thing with alcohol. 85 per cent of the labeling should warn of the dangers of alcohol related diseases, killing yourself and others when overindulging etc., just as they do with tobacco.

Can't see it myself, can you?

Don't worry, the do gooders in OZ will all have us all drinking 10oz pots of water by twenty twenty five, they are now pushing alcohol, they've got the smokers all isolated , never seen anyone puffing on a cigy beating up someone though.

Smoking is a choice but after about 1980 with all the facts in it's a very stupid choice. Most smokers are from ranks of the poor, school dropouts and have low intelligence.

I know what will work here in Thailand. Match the sales hours for smokes with those of liquor sales. The original justification for restricting liquor sales hours was to curb domestic violence and to reduce teenage drinking. This is Thailand.

evidently, non smoking members of the population suffer this affliction as well...

That is, of course, assuming you are a non smoker...

Edited by PermaNewb

That is because they are addicted. People are are addicted to something generally do not care about the side effects of what they are doing, or if they do care, they are unable to do anything about it. That's part of being an addict. Smokers will say they enjoy a smoke, but in reality, they enjoy it because they are addicted. No one enjoys their first smoke. It is only really enjoyable once they are hooked.

They can colors the boxes black and write "CANCER" in bold red across the front, and people will still buy them.

Excuse me for pointing out this absurdly obvious point...but evidently you're not as clever as you perceive yourself to be...

please explain the millions of people world wide that have quit smoking...how does that fit with your illuminating theory?

and dude says that smokers have low intelligence...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Australia did this,.....didn't work at all....there has been an increase in smokers after this initiative.

There has been a reduction of long term smokers, and this is good...but smoking is a global problem and seemingly impossible to solve!

Yes, thats what they reakon, didnt work.

HOWEVER, what did work and what was yelled down in another thread on this forum was increasing the TAX and as it has been increased in stages/increments, they reakon that the extreme tax hikes in Australia has resulted in a lot more people kicking the filthy habit.

no...it's an addiction...you know, like heroin or crack...cheesy.gif

if you don't believe it just google "nicotine rehab centers" and see just how many have been built since the 80's when everyone suddenly realized that cigs are same same crack...

Edited by PermaNewb

Yes, it is difficult to educate people about the evils of smoking. I hope they are teaching the kids in the Thai schools about this terrible habit. Raising the price of cigarettes to a ridiculous amount and banning smoking in all public buildings, as they have done in the United States would, would be a good start in the battle in Thailand and other countries around the world. I lost both my parents, 2 brothers, and several friends to this terrible product.

• Like 1

Do people really like to smoke? Maybe for while, then we feel trapped in something we really don't like. I am a former smoker and thank fck for that.

evidently, non smoking members of the population suffer this affliction as well...

Snap. Quit in 1977. Have one for me (outside, away from children and those who might be disturbed or afraid of the smoke).

you know there's a moment just before you hit the post button that it seems many of you are letting slip by...in that moment you can read what you're about to post and then make any changes...like something really stupid...you could take that moment to reflect on just how little thought went into that soon to be posted post...it would save many of us from having to vomit after reading you're inane verbal diarrhea...think about, would you...

for example, our intrepid poster above Oziexi...who claims smokers are "trapped"...but yet he himself managed to free himself...what an awesome dude this dude must be..he's managed to quit, just like millions of others out there in the big blue world...but the rest of us couldn't be making a conscious decision...a choice...no we're feeble-minded addicts who are trapped...

what a bunch of loons on this thread...how did some of you even manage the airline ticket booking...or setting up an account here on TV?

it boggles the mind...

Snap. Quit in 1977. Have one for me (outside, away from children and those who might be disturbed or afraid of the smoke).

thanks for the confirmation...just one thing I'm a tad confused about...you were a smoker and by your own admission smokers are poor, uneducated or stupid...so which were you?

I'm gonna go ahead and vote for the last one...as such you probably wouldn't realize that there's no cure for stupid...as evidenced by your posts above...

Edited by PermaNewb

thanks for the confirmation...just one thing I'm a tad confused about...you were a smoker and by your own admission smokers are poor, uneducated or stupid...so which were you?

I'm gonna go ahead and vote for the last one...as such you probably wouldn't realize that there's no cure for stupid...as evidenced by your posts above...

You're welcome. I don't want to antagonize you any more than I apparently already have but I mentioned that once everyone got the memo around 1980 about the consequences of smoking many people quit. Big tobacco markets to what you call stupid, poor and uneducated and the are very good at it obviously. Sorry about your confusion.

Your profile of who smokes came out of your own low browed head. Your idea on how to restrict smoking is absurd- people carry a deck of smokes with them and they can light up practically anyplace anytime.
  • Like 1

HOWEVER, what did work and what was yelled down in another thread on this forum was increasing the TAX and as it has been increased in stages/increments, they reakon that the extreme tax hikes in Australia has resulted in a lot more people kicking the filthy habit.

I was reading in the Sydney Morning Herald earlier in the week that the plain packaging (dull green colour, no branding) introduced in the last two or three years in Oz is working - tax is collected "per stick", and the government is collecting tobacco excise on fewer "sticks" than they were / below trend / whatever. The tobacco industry are the ones saying it isn't working, but they would say that.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/plain-packaging-pushes-cigarette-sales-down-20140622-3amd8.html

As someone above alluded to, it's not the current smokers they care that much about - smokers are drug addicts, logic doesn't always work. It's the potential future smokers the plain-packaging is targeting, trying to make it less "cool" to start smoking.

I was reading in the Sydney Morning Herald earlier in the week that the plain packaging (dull green colour, no branding) introduced in the last two or three years in Oz is working - tax is collected "per stick", and the government is collecting tobacco excise on fewer "sticks" than they were / below trend / whatever. The tobacco industry are the ones saying it isn't working, but they would say that.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/plain-packaging-pushes-cigarette-sales-down-20140622-3amd8.html

As someone above alluded to, it's not the current smokers they care that much about - smokers are drug addicts, logic doesn't always work. It's the potential future smokers the plain-packaging is targeting, trying to make it less "cool" to start smoking.

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching an Australian program where this topic came up & yes you may be right, perhaps it was the 'industry' claming that the plain packaging didnt work. I do recall however that the government claims and some health body claimed that the increased taxes on Cigarettes had impacted on sales. I took note because I recalled recently there was a thread on TVF where some guy was arguing that increasing taxes would NOT reduce sales. Clearly he was incorrect.

thanks for clarifying. :)

no...it's an addiction...you know, like heroin or crack...cheesy.gif

if you don't believe it just google "nicotine rehab centers" and see just how many have been built since the 80's when everyone suddenly realized that cigs are same same crack...

It's not the substance, It's the person. Some people have addictive traits/personalities. I smoke every blue moon, but I am in no way addicted to it. My cousin used crack and was addicted to it, while I know others who were occasional users who were not addicted to it. Some people are addicted to food. Some people are addicted to sex. Is that the same as crack and cigarettes? We all have our thing and sometimes people tend to overdo whatever their thing is. There are been many prisons built since the 80s; does that mean people are addicted to crime?

Edited by AdamRich

Raise the taxes, that's all. When you make it too expensive to smoke, the rate of smokers declines. It won't completely solve the problem but it has a proven track record. I hate to mention education since governments are generally failures at doing it correctly but it has to be considered.

My grandfather smoked. At the age of 5 I admired him so much I declared that, when I was older, I was going to smoke as well. He just smiled a gnarly smile, took me from the kitchen where the whole family was gathered, out into teh back garden. He then put out his cigarette and pulled out two Players unfiltered.

He said, in his Leicester accent "Best start now then". So he gave me one, put the other in his mouth, lit it, sucked in a deep breath, held it for a 10-15 count and exhaled. "That's the way you smoke son" he said. "Now you try." He then lit the cigarette for me. I placed it to my lips and sucked in a huge great lung full.

The rest of the day was a total blur. Projectile vomiting was the least effect. I think it took me a week to recover. And even now, 50 years later, a cigarette getting too close triggers the gag reaction. Very smart man my grandfather, didn't realise it until my teens though.