intestinal parasite identification please

Nienke

A friend has an unidentified intestinal parasite, most probably gotten in Thailand.

The client and her doctor can not figure out what it is, already for a month now.

I would think a kind of tapeworm. But the doctor hasn't found any worm eggs in the client's feces.

post-27646-0-15277800-1404049686_thumb.j

Anyone has an idea what this is or in which direction to search?

It is often a waste of time to try and find eggs in stools as they are extremely difficult to detect.

Best is just to treat with Albendazole which is a broad spectrum antihelmintic and most likely to be effective.

Thanks for your replies.

The person with this parasite is back in Holland and currently under medical treatment there.

Not sure why the doctor there can't find what kind of parasite it is. Also not sure whether the person already has been treated with Albendazole or something similar. I just got a mail with this pic and the question whether I know what it is or not, because I live in Thailand. :)

What were the sumptoms?

Did this come out in the stool?

Otherwise how was this diagnosed and found?

I was given only a very little info.

So far I was told it came with the stool, in total about 6 meters. Not all in one piece, though.

Dutch Doc has difficulties with diagnosis. Searching for a month already.

Symptoms were not told to me.

I was hoping someone has seen this before and knows what it is. That would be very helpful for the search-work of the doctor and for the patient, of course.

Edited by Nienke

It is often a waste of time to try and find eggs in stools as they are extremely difficult to detect.

Best is just to treat with Albendazole which is a broad spectrum antihelmintic and most likely to be effective.

^^^ What he said.

I have some Zenzera/Albendazole that I bought in Thailand just looked at the packet and it has a picture of a similar worm on the packet...the name is in Thai though so I cant be specific.

It says inside that it is effective against threadworm, pinworm, whipworm, roundworm hookworm, tapeworm and strongyloides.

The dose says 2 200mg tablets for 3 consecutive days.