Big Feet, Big Shoes

Mar

Hello All,

I am a Canadian who will be in Thailand at the end of this month...can't wait. I understand that clothing is very inexpensive in the LOS. Can anyone tell me if I'll have trouble finding size 12 (USA) footwear in Bangkok. I'm looking for both sandals and trekking shoes (Columbia, Merrell, etc.). What are the average prices?

Also, I'm thinking of waiting to buy a good backpack. Anyone have prices for Northface or similar pack 70 litre?

Thanks in advance!

mar...hate to sound cliche and stupid but I have been looking over a recent LL Bean catalogue and they appear to have reasonably priced large sized foot wear. Trouble is that you you don't get to try them before you buy them but they can be returned no probs. Forget about finding anything above size ten anywhere in LOS except in a Clarks outlet that will cost the same as your return ticket.

check out llbean.com. Don't buy any trekking gear locally in BKK as it costs a premium, and if not...a fake, and you don't want your gear to fukc up on you when on the road.

Otherwise I would say look at the internet to find the famous 'Co-operative' in Seattle that has the best and cheapest gear anywhere (as of 18 years ago???...maybe out of business?)

otherwise, forget the whole thing and lay about in an air conditioned hotel room with sex, vodka and rock and roll...get cheeseburgers and pizza from room service...

all the best

Hello All,

I am a Canadian who will be in Thailand at the end of this month...can't wait. I understand that clothing is very inexpensive in the LOS. Can anyone tell me if I'll have trouble finding size 12 (USA) footwear in Bangkok. I'm looking for both sandals and trekking shoes (Columbia, Merrell, etc.). What are the average prices?

Also, I'm thinking of waiting to buy a good backpack. Anyone have prices for Northface or similar pack 70 litre?

Thanks in advance!

Good handmade dress shoes are readily available at decent pricesin the LOS

Shoes that fit are a very important thing,I would buy gear like you mentioned and bring it with me,cloths are a different item altogether,if a pair of pants don't fit just right,no big deal but footwear is not like a pair of pants.Which by the way,you pobly won't wear much anyway if you take tutsi's advice and just lay around the hotel in BKK and enjoy your vacation.

There is a north Face outlet in the Siam Discovery centre and it is very expensive ! They do have shoes and so on as well as backpacks ans clothing. A short sleeved shirt the other day was about 2,200 baht. Longish shorts the same.

You dont need really good quality gear for anything inThailand other than diving gear which is obviously important. Butr for trekking and so on you can just wear runners or even teva sandles will suffice. it all depends on how footsure you are. If you always trip and stumble...thenbring good sturdy walking boots/shoes. Otherwise you canwear whatever. I know a girl who trekked almost every week wearing flip flops like the porters.

generally the Thai popluation is getting bigger so there are now plenty of large sized shoes here now. I have size 11 and 1/2 and have no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for all your replies. The popular opinion on a quality backpack then? Shall I buy it here? By my calculations it will cost me around 6,000 baht for a good one. Sounds pricey to me. There must be some authentic packs available in BKK.

I bought a "north face" in MBK for 199 Baht. Not really back-pack size, but still.

Anyway, why do tourists cary so much garbage around. I even see some with pots and pans? Why? Seeing people with 50 pounds of crocks in 35 degree heat is pathetic. Most people believe that basic necessities like soap, pots, kitchen utensils, CDs, medication, etc. etc. only exists in their own home country.

My packing list for 6-month around the world would be:

1 pair shoes (that I wear)

3 pair pants

3 Polo/T-shirts

sox & underwear

Toothbrush

Antifungal cream

Aspirin

Needle and thread

Tissue/Toilet paper (depends on country and amount of chilli in local food)

Spare pair of glasses

Passport

Money

Shouldn't weight more than 3 kg.

The rest, including more pants/shirts, can be bought locally for 1/10 the cost of back home. I heard that disposable undies are available in Japan, but I have no experience with those.

ASIC

I bought a "north face" in MBK for 199 Baht. Not really back-pack size, but still.

Where is MBK exactly?

Thanks ASIC

P.S. I will leave the pots & pans at home.

Take the bts and drop at national stadium , that is MBK.

Then you don't even need to enter MBK! There's a shop selling North Face backpacks right on the National Stadium BTS station. Full option backpack asking price Baht 2000 - bargained price Baht 800. Large enough to bring your whole family along too!

thats all we need, a big "footed" bloke, which also means big in other areas - stay home please - I though us small blokes were safe here :o:D - I think you first response from our darlings will be - oh oh oh jeb, oh oh jeb. I heard "big" blokes have to pay more - so that will teach you :D

Hey Mar, had the same problem myself sometime ago. I found a little shop on Sukhumvit between soi 3 & 1. They, if they are still there, will make them for you in 2 - 4 days. That was 3 years previously. However, they are still really good and comfortable. I've not needed to go back yet. Cost was 800 baht. They started at 2,800 baht but I haggled a bit -well, quite a bit really. It was good fun. Whilst haggling it is good to send someone out to buy softies for the store keeper to drink whilst doing the business. Smile and they will have enjoyed the experience as well as you. :o