Australia admits returning migrants

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not asylum seekers they are economic refugees , You seek asylum in the first country you cross into.

Worse, they are gold diggers. They all know the handouts in oz are so good they don't need to work.

They are not asylum seekers they are economic refugees , You seek asylum in the first country you cross into.

Worse, they are gold diggers. They all know the handouts in oz are so good they don't need to work.

Within this topic we are talking about asylum seekers / refugees arriving by sea who are now transferred to PNG and forever denied entry to Oz. However, in this case transferred at sea to be returned to Sri Lanka. Regards those who use to be processed onshore, benefits outlined below, not exactly "a pot of gold". In anycase most of those released into the community whilst assessment was being processed, were not permitted to work.

"The level of financial assistance offered to asylum seekers is less than that offered to Australian citizens under similar living arrangements"

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/62assistance.htm

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy that accepted asylum seekers are often on Centrelink benefits due to the level of discrimination they face within Australian society in obtaining fair work

"webfact" ? ...the headline, even from the bleeding hearts at the BBC, says asylum seekers yet TV manages to transform them into legal migrants in the forum headline

• Like 1

Why people keep wanting to go there is beyond me. A lot of the people I speak to and friends as well want to get the hell out. If only they were told the truth about how expensive it is to live there and how much the government rip you off, they may quickly change their minds. At least corruption here is out in the open and you know what you're getting before you arrive.

Many many people from shit hole countrys come to me and ask why you not work in australia , australia very good country . Im trying to tell them its about as interesting as a wet carrot there to me but they dont care they just wannabe In a place were they dont have to be exploited by other greedy people from the same shit hole countrys who they will soon become if they can make money in oz and start a business.

• Like 1

I met refugees in bangkok from pakistan who had ed visas and still considered taking the trip to christmas island worse off oz gov will house a refugee before they house a homeless aussie.

Yes,housed(tents) in a concentration camp forever,where they maybe murdered or raped.Many homeless dont want to be housed.

You dont know what your talking about.They hear rumours from agents,but the reality is way different.You try and live on the dole.

• Like 1

Sri Lanka is no longer considered a conflict area and the Sri Lankan Government has assured Australia that no person is a risk of persecution in their country. Sri Lankans no longer meet the criteria to be considered as asylum seekers. They are now just considered as economic migrants so they are required to go through the normal channels. Apply to immigrate.

People with a different view than the govt.are taken from the streets and their homes and are beaten up or disappeared.So you believe what a govt tells you,any govt.Ozzy govt. tells us nothing,thats how they avoid lying.

High Court injunction blocks handover of 153 asylum seekers to Sri Lanka.

The High Court has granted an interim injunction to block the handover of 153 asylum seekers to Sri Lanka, just hours after the Government confirmed another vessel had been returned.

On Monday the court heard an urgent claim from barristers seeking to protect the group, which includes 32 women and 37 children and is believed to be under the Government's control at sea.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-07/high-court-injunction-halts-handover-of-asylum-seekers/5579726

• Like 1

I dont mind the part about sending them back but doing it behind closed doors, out of mind out of sight, means the government is doing it for political-gain, just like the 2001 Tampa affair, rather than for its original intended purpose.

The Abbot Government is full of deceit. The want the people of Australia to believe that the moment they took power the boats ceased. Nothing is being released to the media to keep the people in the dark.

On a point of technicality, I thought there were weekly debriefings of what was occurring? I dislike Abbott, just like the next bloke, however I also dislike the way that Kevin Gillard and Julia Rudd ran the government via Twitter, Facebook and all that nonsense.

In some cases, limiting the flow of information can be a good way of controlling the information to the wrong people. I can certainly remember many cases where you and I did the exact same thing in criminal investigation.

Without doubt, there needs to be accountability in the process, but stopping the media circus and nonsensical frenzy is also a good thing IMO.

As you were ;)

The High Court has granted an interim injunction to block the handover of 153 asylum seekers to Sri Lanka, just hours after the Government confirmed another vessel had been returned.

On Monday the court heard an urgent claim from barristers seeking to protect the group, which includes 32 women and 37 children and is believed to be under the Government's control at sea.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-07/high-court-injunction-halts-handover-of-asylum-seekers/5579726

And the real cost to the Australian tax payer commences. Australia, land of stupidity.

And the real cost to the Australian tax payer commences. Australia, land of stupidity.

So far in the case of these boats, Australia is in breach of it's international obligations. I applaud the request for a ruling by the Supreme Court on the current measures by the government; a fair & just society ain't cheap.

It seems the majority are economic refugees, yet to be confirmed in a transparent manner. If they are economic refugees, given current border protection legislation, should be returned to India, if that was there country of embarkation rather than the rest of their lives in PNG, definately not Sri Lanka.

So far in the case of these boats, Australia is in breach of it's international obligations. I applaud the request for a ruling by the Supreme Court on the current measures by the government; a fair & just society ain't cheap.

It seems the majority are economic refugees, yet to be confirmed in a transparent manner. If they are economic refugees, given current border protection legislation, should be returned to India, if that was there country of embarkation rather than the rest of their lives in PNG, definately not Sri Lanka.

I guess it will all play out in due course. Watching with interest.

Why people keep wanting to go there is beyond me. A lot of the people I speak to and friends as well want to get the hell out. If only they were told the truth about how expensive it is to live there and how much the government rip you off, they may quickly change their minds. At least corruption here is out in the open and you know what you're getting before you arrive.

These views, whole heartedly, I did share almost 10 years ago but not entirely now because Thailand has not moved forward in the last 10 years and still remains uncertain and unstable.

In particular, Thailand has not improved in the areas of health, education, public transport, trade & labor, law and order just to name a few.

Most of these problems can be blamed on the previous government but not entirely.

Sure the cost of energy in Australia maybe horrendous however the projected models of people moving into total solar power due to the now short term benefit return on your investment leaves Thailand behind in the dark ages still.

In comparison to Australia, any capital investment in Thailand is at 100% risk where as you're almost assured of capital growth in OZ. Also another measure is not too many people seeking economic asylum to Thailand. Most Burmese and Cambodians are heading back to their own countries because of the real prospect of economic change and development. Thailand now has a real problem filing the void of the labor shortage gap.

Edited by MK1

I guess it will all play out in due course. Watching with interest.

Just saw on the news the case may be dismissed as the High Court of Australia has no jurisdiction over events in international waters.

• Like 2

High court adjourned for late lunch due to resume in an hour. Not over yet Neverdie, Chooka was probably referring to Murdoch network news feeds(just kidding) but despite this who we know they're in bed with the very people who instigated this cloud of secrecy on the high seas.

Edited by MK1

High court adjourned for late lunch due to resume in an hour. Not over yet Neverdie, Chooka was probably referring to Murdoch network news feeds who we know are in bed with the very people who instigated this cloud of secrecy on the high seas.

ABC News.

• Like 1

The High Court has not dismissed the case, it was hearing an argument, by the Australia Government, that is very similar to the Tampa incident i.e. exempt asylum seekers / refugees from the Migration Act if picked up in international waters

"The High Court hearing has now ended. The government has given an undertaking not to return those on board without 72 hours written notice. The parties have said they will agree on the minute of orders, and Justice Crennan will make formal orders once this happens. The case is now adjourned until Friday, where Justice Crennan will hold a further directions hearing into the matters raised".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/08/asylum-seeker-high-court-challenge-against-handover-to-sri-lanka-live

What this hearing clearly shows the Oz government underhand & deceitful approach to this particular matter.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

The High Court has not dismissed the case, it was hearing an argument, by the Australia Government, that is very similar to the Tampa incident i.e. exempt asylum seekers / refugees from the Migration Act if picked up in international waters

"The High Court hearing has now ended. The government has given an undertaking not to return those on board without 72 hours written notice. The parties have said they will agree on the minute of orders, and Justice Crennan will make formal orders once this happens. The case is now adjourned until Friday, where Justice Crennan will hold a further directions hearing into the matters raised".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/08/asylum-seeker-high-court-challenge-against-handover-to-sri-lanka-live

What this hearing clearly shows the Oz government underhand & deceitful approach to this particular matter.

So what happens now, do they just bob around out at sea for the next 3 or 4 days or are the transferred to PNG for the next 2 years then deported back to Sri Lanka. I doubt the Navy has a Sri Lankan cook or enough food to feed 150 extra people onboard.

So what happens now, do they just bob around out at sea for the next 3 or 4 days or are the transferred to PNG for the next 2 years then deported back to Sri Lanka. I doubt the Navy has a Sri Lankan cook or enough food to feed 150 extra people onboard.

I assume so until the Court has made its determination on Friday. Other than the matter of jurisdiction in international waters, I suggest forcible return / deportation to Sri Lanka is the other major issue to be considered as it’s against international convention i.e. non refoulement. In this case, Oz government executive powers might be curtailed by the High Court

• Like 2

Oz seems too be worried more about a few paki's tryin to jump there fence than its own disabled trying to get out.

Whynot just let all migrants in abd let the disabled livr overseas seems ligical to me.

It won't be long before the 'disabled' who want to live overseas and maybe pensioners that get the chop from their respective pensions ...

These views, whole heartedly, I did share almost 10 years ago but not entirely now because Thailand has not moved forward in the last 10 years and still remains uncertain and unstable.

In particular, Thailand has not improved in the areas of health, education, public transport, trade & labor, law and order just to name a few.

Most of these problems can be blamed on the previous government but not entirely.

Sure the cost of energy in Australia maybe horrendous however the projected models of people moving into total solar power due to the now short term benefit return on your investment leaves Thailand behind in the dark ages still.

In comparison to Australia, any capital investment in Thailand is at 100% risk where as you're almost assured of capital growth in OZ. Also another measure is not too many people seeking economic asylum to Thailand. Most Burmese and Cambodians are heading back to their own countries because of the real prospect of economic change and development. Thailand now has a real problem filing the void of the labor shortage gap.

"assured of capital growth" is a long bow ... many people have lost their homes and even more will ...

• Like 1

I assume so until the Court has made its determination on Friday. Other than the matter of jurisdiction in international waters, I suggest forcible return / deportation to Sri Lanka is the other major issue to be considered as it’s against international convention i.e. non refoulement. In this case, Oz government executive powers might be curtailed by the High Court

Now confirmed being 'housed' on Australian vessel. High Court expected not to reconvene to consider the matter for 2/3 weeks. In the meantime asylum seekers may be relocated to Christmas Island, Manus Island or Nauru

Some discussion by ABC was made that potentially the asylum seekers may go to Manus Island or Naura while they await a full bench decision not really expected for at least another 30 days subject to the directions hearing on Friday.

Scott Morrison must be feeling like the’ bogan of bogan’s’ (Bertrand Cadart, Mayor of Spring Bay ) now that this legal intervention has occurred. Furthermore, he must be also wondering which Greens pain in the rear stitched him up.

Edited by MK1

Geez, for a minute there phuketboy I thought you were talking about Phuket. Or are you?

Now confirmed being 'housed' on Australian vessel. High Court expected not to reconvene to consider the matter for 2/3 weeks. In the meantime asylum seekers may be relocated to Christmas Island, Manus Island or Nauru

They will end up in PNG. If they go to xmas island then they have reached Australian soil which will be a slap in the face for Tony dumb dumd. If granted asylum then they become PNG residents and will never make Australia. I would say 75% will opt to go home after a couple of years in PNG society.