Bangkok vows to reclaim top tourist destination title

webfact

Removing martial has to be one of the first steps. Then more tourist to Chiang Mai and the north for a really relaxing vacation, siteseeing, and a great nightlife. Sell all the cities not just Bangkok. But remove martial law is what the people are waiting for.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thais are "vowing" so it must be so. You can bet on it. The Thais are to be taken seriously. And just think Kyoto does it with no girlie sex bar trade.

No, it's just more under the radar and not as open to gaijin. But they and the love hotels are there.

The author fails to mention that Bangkok was to city overall for the past 4 years and dropped out of the top ten. Also failed to mention that those in the travel industry can longer vote. 1+1=2 so, since TAT couldn't vote.......

Of course, that's not just Thailand. ALL countries look at westerners as walking ATMs. They thought I was wealthy down in Colombia. I just laughed at them.

Good luck with that! Since Thais (officials and locals alike) seem to have lost their ability to make foreigners feel comfortable and welcome as a person and not as a walking ATM machine over the past 20 years, paired with the ignorant, self-loving and ever increasing nationalist attitude, this is gonna be a major, if not impossible, task...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Thailand has become the land of talk, not the land of walk... Guess they must come into their own. The wife is there now, and is ready to come home now. But a deal is a deal. I know that many thais in my neck of the woods have no desire to return. And yes I live in the USA. Unfortunately Thailand is, or was, and maybe has been for quite some time, the hub of corruption. Anything goes and no one knows, such is the mystery of the LOS. Are they trying to regain their image? I haven't seen it yet. Just my thoughts....

kilosierra

• Like 1

Dream on ...what next Patong world heritage site? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In addition, city hall will organize activities to promote tourism, especially annual activities in the winter including music-in-the-park and fashion street events. It will also organize food festivals because Thailand is well-known for its food.

Yep i can see all the wealthy booking their tickets now ...all that amazing street food bah.gif

:cheesy: And you actually you think.that you made a point about something.:cheesy: You are the one who mentioned street food and a dumb quip about Phuket. Presenting your own asinine premises and then you ridicule them as though they were said by someone else. :P

BTW. The street food is delicious. Tourists with whom I speak frequently corroborate this. Let me give you a hint: You are supposed to eat the food from the cart- Not the deposits that dogs that beg near the cart leave in the street! :cheesy:

This is going to be a real struggle whilst the military are still running the country. For outsiders this looks very bad and they will give it a wide berth (as they already are according to the numbers).

To be fair to the current administration things seem to be improving and they are behaving more like a political party with a purpose to reform the system rather then a military coup,, however that won't wash with people who are not here to see it all going on. all they see is turmoil on the people being killed on the news.

Thailand has always been a hot spot for holidays but I think the real danger now is that other Asian countries are on the rise and the right publicity and push could make it increasingly difficult for Thailand to regain its reputation.

I hope they do it but can't see it being a fast process and perhaps harder then they think.

• Like 1

I don't get why Bangkok is so concerned about what Travel & Leisure mag says. Their rating is derived from a sampling of their client base, which are targeted for wealth, snob appeal and corporate travellers. Given this absurdly heavy skew the results don't mean much.

I don't get why Bangkok is so concerned about what Travel & Leisure mag says. Their rating is derived from a sampling of their client base, which are targeted for wealth, snob appeal and corporate travellers. Given this absurdly heavy skew the results don't mean much.

Music in the park? What a concept. Imagine if Thailand actually offered some culture, akin to Bali. Theatre, real concerts, jazz shows, etc. Maybe a century from now, when Thailand learns to value world culture . Maybe. Wait a minute. That would be a tourist attraction. But, an actual tourist attraction instead of yakkity yak yak? Now, that would be a sign of progress. I have an idea. How about appointing a minister of tourism that does not share his post with sports, and actually is a veteran of the tourism industry, and knows something about tourism? Wait a minute. That would be something they do in a meritocratic system. Sorry.

Spidermike007

• Like 2

Outside of English teachers, the constantly repeated statement (this year) about "foreigners working illegally" seems more like an expression of nationalism, than addressing unemployment. Over a lot of years, I just haven't met enough Thais who speak fluent English for it to seem logical that English teaching is somehow affecting Thai unemployrment in a meaningful way. Are there really a significant amount of Thai people who are hurting, by a lack of English teaching jobs available for them? That doesn't seem logical.

There seem to be a lot of reports of Russians taking jobs in specific areas like Pattaya (as well as bringing crime such as ATM skimming etc), but according to news reports in Thailand, that seems pretty confined to specific areas. So national statements concerning all visitors doesn't seem to be about that, either.

The workers from Cambodia and Myanmar et al can be a real issue for Thailand, and yet, they aren't being deported so much as simpy put back through the system, because they are needed by enough businesses, apparently. There are real issues with Russians comitting crimes in places like Pattaya, clearly. But it's a rare day (if ever) that you see individuals from US, EU and UK caught up in those things - at least in the news.

So, when you add all that up, it seems it's really a lot more about a spirit of anger and nationalism, which has taken hold of the immigration department, and which is in conflict with the TAT. There are undeoubtedly voices here - from retirees and jealous troll types - who love to shout 'rules are rules!' and other shaming statments. But those aren't Thai voices, so they simply use Thai rules as a way to feel legitimate about themselves: not a real reflection of what's happenign in Thailand, to be sure. They love to repeat that 'all other countries are the same way!', but that's not actually true for any experienced US, EU traveler. So, it's something else in the end.

I think the undeniable surge in tourism over the last several years, has brought a sense of anger and nationalism as it's response, among a certain percentage of Thailand. They focus on the idea of 'illegal workers' because they can't legitimately state their real feelings - like for example, "I'm tired of seeing Thai girls always running away with these foreigners", or 'My neighborhood is for Thai people, not foreigners!' - it's not so different from the kind of voices we hear in America from the right wing. And, they are in deep conflict with each other. I'm not saying Thailand has no right to set it's own rules. However, there are clearly 2 factions of the government with very different views, and owing to Thai tradition are not addressing each other directly. Thus, it reads confusing to outsiders.

Edited by John1thru10

I have been trying to book a flight direct to Beijing with Thai for 3 days, the booking engine has been down since Friday . Finally gave up and booked with Cathay despite fact I have to have stopover in Hong Kong. They really are hopeless, easy to see why they lose so much money !!

A mindset which proposes 'volunteer work' for farang holidaymakers BUT 'spa and beauty' treatments to lure the Hong Kong Chinese has no clue as to how to manage tourist economy which does not include (overwhelmingly) sex tourists and cheap package tours.

They really really need to get out more huh.png

Edited by jpeg

As long as Thai Air is cutting coconuts on empty planes, its gonna happen for sure.

Best line was "Experience the Thainess..."

You'll experience the "Thainess" alright once you step into your first taxi/tuk tuk.

• Like 1

Fair enough, but tourism has taken a dramatic nosedive,, so even if they don't pay much attention to a magazine they still have to do something, right?

Kyoto is a lovely place, congratulate them for their win. Deputy Bangkok governor Amorn Kitchawengkul, take this opportunity to benchmark Bangkok vs the rest of the top 10 ranked cities to improve the city. Cleanliness at the level of Kyoto would go a long way in improving Bangkok's chances. Even better would be to consider the application of 5S principles to how Bangkok is maintained:

(Wiki)There are five primary 5S phases: They can be translated from the Japanese as Sort, Systematize, Shine, Standardize and Self-Discipline. Other translations are possible.

1. Seiri (整理?, sort)

Remove unnecessary items and dispose of them properly

Make work easier by eliminating obstacles

Reduce chance of being disturbed with unnecessary items

Prevent accumulation of unnecessary items

Evaluate necessary items with regard to dept/cost/other factors.

2. Seiton (整頓?, straighten or streamline)

Arrange all necessary items in order so they can be easily picked for use

Prevent loss and waste of time

Make it easy to find and pick up necessary items

Ensure first-come-first-serve basis

Make work flow smooth and easy

Can also be translated as "set in order"

3. Seiso (清掃?, shine)

Clean your workplace completely

Use cleaning as inspection

Prevent machinery and equipment deterioration

Keep workplace safe and easy to work

Can also be translated as "sweep"

4. Seiketsu (清潔?, standardize)

Maintain high standards of housekeeping and workplace organization at all times

Maintain cleanliness and orderliness

Maintain everything in order and according to its standard.

5. Shitsuke (躾?, sustain)

To keep in working order

Also translates to "Self-Discipline" meaning to do without being told

We do this in our factories, Bangkok can do it too, it just takes leadership and discipline.

Its going to be one hell of a job tidying up all those disgusting,untidy, dirty looking power lines, many of which are not even used. When they put a new one up, they just leave the old one. This practice should cease immediately.

I agree that lots of work is needed for Thailand to make their way back to the pedestal. Just the fact that so many I have been speaking with says things like "it's only good the US and EU and others are putting sanctions and leaving Thailand, cause we don't need them anyway!", this goes hand in hand with an old statement by someone that the nation needs to be self-sufficient, and while that statement had great points while being spoken, the world has become way more globalized since then. Isolating themselves will bring this nation back to former Burma standards or those of DPRK.

There is still much good in this nation. I do feel the same annoyance many other here feel, but it's hardly the fault of the whole country, and I wouldn't prefer living in Vientiane or Phnom Penh, of which the last one I actually lived a year in. Things are not better there, and you don't feel more welcome, so Thailand can't be blamed alone. In fact, I find every major tourist hub in the still developing world to be about the same regarding this kind of attitude towards tourists, viewing them for their $$ rather than as guests. But I also find it fairly easy to get by without paying any over-prices in Thailand, while I have more problems with transport and similar in PP and Vientiane, not to speak about Vietnam... However, I guess this goes hand in hand with language and feeling at home. Touts and scamers can feel how new you are in their nation, or even province/city, and will try to rip you off accordingly.

Also, we all have the tendency to remember people who treated us bad way more than people who treated us good. Sometimes I feel like I'm about to explode from all the talking about me behind my back while walking pass some tuktuk gangs or other people who believe I will not understand what they are saying. I am doing all I can to avoid taxis, not because of costs, but because I prefer people leaving me alone, which works way better on the public transports like BTS, MRT, APL, buses and boats on Saen saep and Chao Praya.

However, one day when I was about to explode after some idiot came out of nowhere and jumped in the taxi that I had stopped and was speaking with, saying "I'm in a hurry, Thais need to help thais first" to the driver. Wouldn't have been a big deal if it was one of those days when there will be a next taxi 30 seconds later. In this case though, I had waited for 30 minutes already, and I was certainly first in "line" (not that there were any). While I got the next taxi my mood was already destroyed, and I didn't speak very softly or nice. However, the taxi took me in. Noticed my exhaustion and asked if I had been waiting for a long time, if there were many taxis refusing to go by meter, and so on and on. I told him all, and he told me his views. We ended up eating noodles beside my condo before he headed home (and no, I didn't pay for his noodles).

There will always be nice people and <deleted>. But the <deleted> are the ones we tend to remember more.

Let's say you walk down Sukhumvit from Soi 3 or so towards Asoke. You hear people "farang this" and "farang that" in a negative tone. it get's a bit on your nerves.
Then you go visit some outskirt town or village in some remote amper not famous for tourists, you hear the "farang this" and "farang that" again, and you take it as looking down on you, while in fact, many simply just don't understand what they did wrong, simply because they didn't do anything wrong. Words are only words, and the meaning of them is up to the individual. For them it would be normal that pale skin Caucasians are Farangs, Middle-eastern and Indians are Kaek, Chinese, hongkong and Thaiwan are jeen. And the more familiar Asian countries that they know better will be all from khmer to Lao/Pee-Nong etc. Sure it might seem racist for some, but it was not long time ago Sweden, or other western nations would group up people the same way, and it shouldn't come as a surprise some rice-farmers living partly off the grid would still be in that mindset. However, some of us might have gotten too much bad feelings regarding it from BKK or Pattaya already, which makes us hear the word as negative, that's only my theory, and I might well be wrong, but that's how I feel about it.

This is the time when we will have to wait and see. Will the junta succeed in making this a better place, or will it turn into a Police state like Burma used to be (and still kind of is)
We don't know yet.

Are 90% of Thais really happy about their new leaders, or are the people who disagree to agree simply being warned and silenced(?)

Have the military found loads of stashed weapons, or were some of the weapons found planted there(?)

I'm not saying anyone is lying, and I can see many improvements, like the fact that we finally got money for our rice etc. I am not Thai and I wouldn't hail to either the Suthep or the Reds, so don't come and say I'm a red shirt wannabe for being skeptic and asking questions..

Only time will tell how this nation will turn out. We can all sit and be cynical or think that we know by looking at history. But in fact we don't know the future. Unless you as well have some magic "mor pee" abilities.

• Like 1

TOP DESTINATION
Bangkok vows to reclaim top tourist destination title

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is trying to restore confidence in order to reclaim its title as the top tourist destination from Kyoto, Japan.

Deputy Bangkok governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said Bangkok had lost its top tourist destination position to Kyoto and fell to third place in a survey by the Travel + Leisure magazine this year due to the political demonstrations.

Bangkok's city hall will discuss efforts to restore confidence among tourists with operators of fivestar hotels whose client numbers have dropped by half, he said.

The BMA will join with concerned organisations in government and private sectors to restore confidence. It will explain Thailand's current situation to participants at international conferences being held in Bangkok. These include attendees of the International Publishers Association Congress, which was postponed from last year to September this year due to the political situation, as well as participants of the 3rd Lower Mekong Tourism City Mayors' Summit this November and the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) next February.

City hall will also organise activities to promote tourism, especially such annual cool season activities as "Music in the Park" and fashion street events. Food festivals are also planned.

Such activities are likely to woo tourists back to Bangkok, Amorn said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bangkok-vows-to-reclaim-top-tourist-destination-ti-30238005.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-08

Beach and resort destinations with upgraded airports, able to handle wide-bodies and also being international entry points, has diminished BKK as a gateway.

Many completely by-pass it all together, directly going to Samui, Phuket, etc.

But Bkk still has it charms, hell, they even write songs about ... One Night in Bangkok ...

Other destinations can't boost that accolade,

guitar.gif

Edited by cobra

Well take away the drugs, hookers, fakes,

Yeah, do that and then you have shut down 75% of the business, hotel and other rip off's in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket, etc,

No one left but serious tourists and back packers.

Sounds good to me.

Vowing to reclaim spot and actually doing something to reclaim spot are two different things to most people, but alas seems common here. Such as ex vowing to stop fooling around, without behavior change = now ex. The price gouging and two tier structure leaves bad taste in tourist mouths, and word gets around. Perhaps should figure a way to count how much that gouging has cost them in terms of tourists who decide to go elsewhere. The officials that go on junkets to other places need to get out and walk the streets of cities such as Kyoto. I think probably spend time at 5 star hotels and then whisked off in limos to meetings. Never interact at level of genuine tourist. Like they are sitting on rear deck of Titanic "No problem here, this deck is dry".

Outside of English teachers, the constantly repeated statement (this year) about "foreigners working illegally" seems more like an expression of nationalism, than addressing unemployment. Over a lot of years, I just haven't met enough Thais who speak fluent English for it to seem logical that English teaching is somehow affecting Thai unemployrment in a meaningful way. Are there really a significant amount of Thai people who are hurting, by a lack of English teaching jobs available for them? That doesn't seem logical.

There seem to be a lot of reports of Russians taking jobs in specific areas like Pattaya (as well as bringing crime such as ATM skimming etc), but according to news reports in Thailand, that seems pretty confined to specific areas. So national statements concerning all visitors doesn't seem to be about that, either.

The workers from Cambodia and Myanmar et al can be a real issue for Thailand, and yet, they aren't being deported so much as simpy put back through the system, because they are needed by enough businesses, apparently. There are real issues with Russians comitting crimes in places like Pattaya, clearly. But it's a rare day (if ever) that you see individuals from US, EU and UK caught up in those things - at least in the news.

So, when you add all that up, it seems it's really a lot more about a spirit of anger and nationalism, which has taken hold of the immigration department, and which is in conflict with the TAT. There are undeoubtedly voices here - from retirees and jealous troll types - who love to shout 'rules are rules!' and other shaming statments. But those aren't Thai voices, so they simply use Thai rules as a way to feel legitimate about themselves: not a real reflection of what's happenign in Thailand, to be sure. They love to repeat that 'all other countries are the same way!', but that's not actually true for any experienced US, EU traveler. So, it's something else in the end.

I think the undeniable surge in tourism over the last several years, has brought a sense of anger and nationalism as it's response, among a certain percentage of Thailand. They focus on the idea of 'illegal workers' because they can't legitimately state their real feelings - like for example, "I'm tired of seeing Thai girls always running away with these foreigners", or 'My neighborhood is for Thai people, not foreigners!' - it's not so different from the kind of voices we hear in America from the right wing. And, they are in deep conflict with each other. I'm not saying Thailand has no right to set it's own rules. However, there are clearly 2 factions of the government with very different views, and owing to Thai tradition are not addressing each other directly. Thus, it reads confusing to outsiders.

I think you might be onto something. I keep reading about how low the unemployment rate is here. All Thais seem to easily find employment at the level most of these jobs pay. So, what is the real issue? If the Thai people had the desire, skills and willingness, there would be fewer Burmese and Cambodian workers here. As for the Russians, please tell me what is the actual numbers of Thais fluent in Russian? So stop jawboning and start revising immigration policy so it reflects something written within this century please.

Spidermike007

Edited by spidermike007

I agree that lots of work is needed for Thailand to make their way back to the pedestal. Just the fact that so many I have been speaking with says things like "it's only good the US and EU and others are putting sanctions and leaving Thailand, cause we don't need them anyway!", this goes hand in hand with an old statement by someone that the nation needs to be self-sufficient, and while that statement had great points while being spoken, the world has become way more globalized since then. Isolating themselves will bring this nation back to former Burma standards or those of DPRK.

There is still much good in this nation. I do feel the same annoyance many other here feel, but it's hardly the fault of the whole country, and I wouldn't prefer living in Vientiane or Phnom Penh, of which the last one I actually lived a year in. Things are not better there, and you don't feel more welcome, so Thailand can't be blamed alone. In fact, I find every major tourist hub in the still developing world to be about the same regarding this kind of attitude towards tourists, viewing them for their $$ rather than as guests. But I also find it fairly easy to get by without paying any over-prices in Thailand, while I have more problems with transport and similar in PP and Vientiane, not to speak about Vietnam... However, I guess this goes hand in hand with language and feeling at home. Touts and scamers can feel how new you are in their nation, or even province/city, and will try to rip you off accordingly.

Also, we all have the tendency to remember people who treated us bad way more than people who treated us good. Sometimes I feel like I'm about to explode from all the talking about me behind my back while walking pass some tuktuk gangs or other people who believe I will not understand what they are saying. I am doing all I can to avoid taxis, not because of costs, but because I prefer people leaving me alone, which works way better on the public transports like BTS, MRT, APL, buses and boats on Saen saep and Chao Praya.

However, one day when I was about to explode after some idiot came out of nowhere and jumped in the taxi that I had stopped and was speaking with, saying "I'm in a hurry, Thais need to help thais first" to the driver. Wouldn't have been a big deal if it was one of those days when there will be a next taxi 30 seconds later. In this case though, I had waited for 30 minutes already, and I was certainly first in "line" (not that there were any). While I got the next taxi my mood was already destroyed, and I didn't speak very softly or nice. However, the taxi took me in. Noticed my exhaustion and asked if I had been waiting for a long time, if there were many taxis refusing to go by meter, and so on and on. I told him all, and he told me his views. We ended up eating noodles beside my condo before he headed home (and no, I didn't pay for his noodles).

There will always be nice people and <deleted>. But the <deleted> are the ones we tend to remember more.

Let's say you walk down Sukhumvit from Soi 3 or so towards Asoke. You hear people "farang this" and "farang that" in a negative tone. it get's a bit on your nerves.

Then you go visit some outskirt town or village in some remote amper not famous for tourists, you hear the "farang this" and "farang that" again, and you take it as looking down on you, while in fact, many simply just don't understand what they did wrong, simply because they didn't do anything wrong. Words are only words, and the meaning of them is up to the individual. For them it would be normal that pale skin Caucasians are Farangs, Middle-eastern and Indians are Kaek, Chinese, hongkong and Thaiwan are jeen. And the more familiar Asian countries that they know better will be all from khmer to Lao/Pee-Nong etc. Sure it might seem racist for some, but it was not long time ago Sweden, or other western nations would group up people the same way, and it shouldn't come as a surprise some rice-farmers living partly off the grid would still be in that mindset. However, some of us might have gotten too much bad feelings regarding it from BKK or Pattaya already, which makes us hear the word as negative, that's only my theory, and I might well be wrong, but that's how I feel about it.

This is the time when we will have to wait and see. Will the junta succeed in making this a better place, or will it turn into a Police state like Burma used to be (and still kind of is)

We don't know yet.

Are 90% of Thais really happy about their new leaders, or are the people who disagree to agree simply being warned and silenced(?)

Have the military found loads of stashed weapons, or were some of the weapons found planted there(?)

I'm not saying anyone is lying, and I can see many improvements, like the fact that we finally got money for our rice etc. I am not Thai and I wouldn't hail to either the Suthep or the Reds, so don't come and say I'm a red shirt wannabe for being skeptic and asking questions..

Only time will tell how this nation will turn out. We can all sit and be cynical or think that we know by looking at history. But in fact we don't know the future. Unless you as well have some magic "mor pee" abilities.

Thanks for the effort of writing all this - a lot of truth in your words and I strongly agree.