Visa information

Please advise based on the following info. I am married to a thai and live in ubonratchathani. I am not involved in any type of work in thailand. I am self employed with most of my work being in the middle east.

(1) It seems there are two different ways to obtain a multiple ''o'' visa (a) From the immigration within thailand

(:o from a thai embassy in another country

If the visa is obtained in thailand does the local immigration stamp the visa or has your passport to be sent to bangkok.

I was informed if the visa was issued in thailand you must obtain a re-entry visa. This is obtained from whare? and how long does it last for ?

(2) i have 2 british passports can i have a visa stamped inside thailand on one and another stamped outside the country.

(3) After the ninety days has expired is it just a case of crossing the border and crossing straight back again.

(4) Please do you have any other info that may be of help to me regarding multiple entry 1- year visas.

1. Non-Immigarnt visas are only issued at Thai consular posts outside Thailand. Only nthe yearly extensions can be done by Immigration within Thailand.

2. No, you can only have one passport active.

3. Yes, a visa run is required every 90 days for a Multiple entry visa.

4. Search this forum for the word multiple, and you will get several threads.

To expand on George's answer you receive a visa outside Thailand.  If it is a multi entry you do border runs every 90 days and do not need re-entry stamp.  Your marriage qualifies you for this.  If you want to avoid these runs and can put 250k into a Thai bank account you can then apply for one year extension of your visa inside Thailand.  If you receive this extension you no longer have to make the border runs but do have to report your address every 90 days and obtain a re-entry permit prior to any overseas travel.

I know it can be an account in your name or a joint account but don't know if they would accept the dollar account.  They expect to see this account used to pay for the support of your wife (visa catagory) so even if accepted once it might not be the next time.  The granting of this type of visa extension is not automatic and requires the decision of a review panel so you might want to ask first at immigration before you submit paperwork.

I am planning to move to Thailand this summer. I am 58 yrs old. I also plan to get married to a Thai national possibly next month. Before i move, should i apply for a one yr. multiple entry visa? I live in Los angeles, and have been advised not to use the Thai consolate in LA, rather to use one of the honorary consolates in the states. If i get married in May, and show the consolate the certificate will i have any problem getting the one yr. multiple entry. Also once I move to Thailand can i apply for a one yr Married to a Thai? According to what i see on the Thai consolate web pages everyone living in Los Angeles must use the LA Consolate.

The LA Consulate will want marriage certificate, ID card or passport copy and a letter from your wife that you are still together.  With that the multi entry non-immigrant should be issued.  You can also get one closer to Thailand, with Penang the most used place.  No need to use LA.  After you get a non-immigrant visa you can extend on a yearly basis with 250k in a local bank and your wifes good word or change to a retirement visa at 800k in the bank without your wifes good word.